• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

OCNetters and the Divine Liturgy

How often do you, the reasonably active OCNet contributor, participate in the Divine Liturgy at an O

• Only on major feasts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only during fasts

• Once or twice a year

• Only on Sundays or feasts where they give you something free

• Only for special events (e.g., baptisms, weddings, funerals)

• Not on Sunday, but on some other day of the week

• I have never been to a Divine Liturgy

• What's a Divine Liturgy?

• Total voters

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
I think some the choices overlap, and would imply different things based on the person's home parish.

I answered "More than once a week." I couldn't answer Sundays and great feasts, because I do miss some of the 12 great feasts when they fall on weekdays, and I probably miss about 4-5 Sundays a year due work or travel to areas without Orthodox churches.

Our parish offers a reasonably full schedule for a parish with only one priest. Our priest keeps records of number of DL per year, number of communicants, and number of cross kissers at each DL. In 2015 I think we had DL about 115 times, we have Saturday Liturgy at least once a month, and every weekend of Great Lent and Soul Saturdays, and usually at least 2-3 weekdays Liturgies a month. Between my parish and few others I visit I would guess I probably went to about 65-70 Divine Liturgies. I often go for weekday evening Vespers/Matins and am not able to make DL the next morning because of work. The answer of "every time it is offered" could vary considerably depending on the parish's schedule.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
Christ is Risen!

Since the beginning of 2006, I've attended DL on Sundays 56% of the time.  I attend DL every Sunday and I attend the Vespers services for the other churches feast days in my community.  Between 1995 and 2006, my church attendance was not consistent although I estimate that I made it to church about half the time.

Hawkeye

Hyperprōtopansebastohalieus
Reaction score
Faith
Of Avvakum and Neronov
Jurisdiction
Old Rite, Chasovenny
When I was living in the big city from mid-January through to the end of April, I was finally able to attend an Orthodox Church as regularly and as vigorously as I could shuffle around my schedule. Initially, I only attended various other services but soon enough I mustered the resolve to attend my first Divine Liturgy, and then kept attending them.

I chose "Every Sunday" but it was more most Sundays and most other instances when a Liturgy was served; I imagine that evens out to about once a week. Otherwise, I attended on average perhaps two weekly services, most Saturday Vigils, and most of Lent's Sunday Vespers as well. It was pretty nice while it lasted.

However, now that I am among Old Ritualists again, that's all over with. I might be able to manage a service or two a month over the next few but that's about it. Issues within my community mean that, as far as concerns me, Old Rite services are probably out of the question as well.

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
serb1389 said:
I marked every sunday and feast day.  But I schedule them! So it's a little disingenuous.  lol.
Yes, but you can't really change the dates of feasts can you? So I'm not sure how much that helps. Our priest used to have a lay job and sometimes when he couldn't get a day off for a weekday Liturgy he would serve Vigil around 9PM and then have 3rd, and 6th hours and Divine Liturgy start at midnight, so he could get a few hours of sleep then go to work.

Eruvande

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Anglican
Jurisdiction
Worcestershire
I've been twice. First time I was totally lost, tbh, second time was better. I hope to go again as often as providence allows.

Indocern

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Eruvande said:
I've been twice. First time I was totally lost, tbh, second time was better. I hope to go again as often as providence allows.
As more you go to Orthodox Church, the more you will feel better.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Bob2 said:
...would serve Vigil around 9PM and then have 3rd, and 6th hours and Divine Liturgy start at midnight...
To be honest, I wish there was a parish near me where this was the regular Sunday arrangement, and not just an accommodation for midweek feasts. 

Bob2

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Mor Ephrem said:
Bob2 said:
...would serve Vigil around 9PM and then have 3rd, and 6th hours and Divine Liturgy start at midnight...
To be honest, I wish there was a parish near me where this was the regular Sunday arrangement, and not just an accommodation for midweek feasts.
There is a monastery a little more than an hour away from me that does this every Friday evening/Saturday morning. I've not yet visited it, but plan to sometime.

I would add that I've enjoyed that set up as an occasional thing going by myself, but 5 hours of consecutive service at that time is probably not ideal for 5 year olds.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Bob2 said:
I would add that I've enjoyed that set up as an occasional thing going by myself, but 5 hours of consecutive service at that time is probably not ideal for 5 year olds.
For better or worse, I don't have to worry about that right now.  :p

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of New Gracanica
The majority of Sundays (barring sick days and a shameful lazy day or two) in the year.  I can only occasionally get time for weekday services, but try to make one or two a year.  I just tell the boss I'm taking a long lunch.  I should make it to more weekday services.  I'm lucky in that I have a very understanding company in this regard.  I've requested off a few time for a weekday feast and the company president instructed accounting not to mark it against vacation.  On such days I make a point of lighting a candle for everyone at work.