• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Official OC.Net Chess Tournament

Bobby

Archon
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'd like to hold an official OrthodoxChristianity.net Chess Tournament during the month of January 2008.

Please send an email to requick@gmail.com with the subject: Chess Tournament for me to enter you in on the roster.  Details will be forthcoming and I will put together playoff information once I have a headcount.

Use the month of December to practice and get good!

Robert

jlerms

High Elder
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I for one think it would be fun.  I wasn't aware of the OP.

Juliana :)

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
I thought of putting my name in the hat for this tournament, but, judging from the time it's taken my opponents and me to complete some of even our shorter games at one move exchange per day, I'm not sure a tournament would even be workable.  One or two games per person per month due to prohibitive schedules?  No wonder so many people here play 3-5 games at a time!

ytterbiumanalyst

Merarches
Reaction score
I've noticed, too, that I lose my chain of thought in the longer games, too. After a couple of weeks, I start wishing it to be over rather than to win, and I'm not nearly as thoughtful in my moves. In the shorter games, though (1 hour or less), I do much better. Perhaps if we have a tournament, we could set up specific times that both opponents can commit to being online (although, I won't be on at 3AM when most of the Aussies are here).

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
ytterbiumanalyst said:
I've noticed, too, that I lose my chain of thought in the longer games, too. After a couple of weeks, I start wishing it to be over rather than to win, and I'm not nearly as thoughtful in my moves. In the shorter games, though (1 hour or less), I do much better. Perhaps if we have a tournament, we could set up specific times that both opponents can commit to being online (although, I won't be on at 3AM when most of the Aussies are here).
Yup.  One of my current opponents is an Aussie or Kiwi, which explains why our moves have often been one exchange every 2-3 days.