• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Oh my goodness I have an account here!!!

thenerdpaul

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
OCA
:eek:

Truly I did not ever expect this. Thank you so much to whoever approved me!  :D

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless

thenerdpaul

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
OCA

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
thenerdpaul said:

Congratulations! You have passed through one of the most intensive and selective screening processes in online forumry. Be assured that your presence here is based on merit and hard work.

thenerdpaul

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
OCA
Iconodule said:
thenerdpaul said:

Congratulations! You have passed through one of the most intensive and selective screening processes in online forumry. Be assured that your presence here is based on merit and hard work.
I'll do my best!  :laugh:

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Welcome to the forum.  :)

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Iconodule said:
thenerdpaul said:

And on our continued mercy and lovingkindness to you, a sinner!

tqw1171

Reaction score
Faith
Miaphysite
Jurisdiction
None for the moment
I had the same feeling when this happened to me, welcome!

Kirkburn

Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Philadelphia
Welcome to OC.net!

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
It really is strange how difficult it is to become a member here. I've seen it discussed at multiple other forums. It's like the thing oc.net is known for. Seriously.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
It really is strange how difficult it is to become a member here. I've seen it discussed at multiple other forums. It's like the thing oc.net is known for. Seriously.
It is not difficult, but it can be slow, because it's not automated. What those on the outside don't see is that every single newcomer is let in by a human, and humans are notorious for having lives off the interwebz. Shocking, I know.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
It's because we're so popular, there's a huge line to get in. 😁

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
It is not difficult, but it can be slow, because it's not automated. What those on the outside don't see is that every single newcomer is let in by a human, and humans are notorious for having lives off the interwebz. Shocking, I know.
Ooooh, I see I touched a nerve. Good, that was my intent.

At times in the past it's been MONTHS in between when a SINGLE PERSON was approved, even though people were waiting to get in. People on other forums report "I waited months and nothing happened so I moved on" and other people respond "same thing happened to me." You can figure that something is wrong without needing behind-the-scenes access. If you feel called out... that was the point. A response of snark and denial that there's a problem just solidifies that this place is broken and dead and ain't coming back.

Stinky

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Near/far
I love the title of this thread because that was my thoughts also when I tried to seek answers to my questions as a Roman Catholic becoming an Orthodox catechumen. I signed up, then silence. Then I kept checking. Then I started to feel rejected. I kept checking. I had to move on because it made me feel crappy every time I looked for the golden scepter and found rejection. Then one day some time later after I had joined Orthodox , I randomly tried to join again and found I had an account! It was strange.

bayde

Reaction score
Faith
Trying often failing to be EO
Jurisdiction
UOCC
Oh my goodness indeed! This post inspired me to find out that *I* have an account here... five years after I applied and never got notified that I'd been approved. Idunno, it does seem very.... Orthodox in a way. I've read about the hoops you have to jump through in order to visit Mt. Athos (they only let in like three people a day or something), and this feels a bit like that.

Soo..... hello? Glory to Jesus Christ?

Stinky

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Near/far
Oh my goodness indeed! This post inspired me to find out that *I* have an account here... five years after I applied and never got notified that I'd been approved. Idunno, it does seem very.... Orthodox in a way. I've read about the hoops you have to jump through in order to visit Mt. Athos (they only let in like three people a day or something), and this feels a bit like that.

Welcome, chosen one. Remember you have been grafted in and can be cut out much easier. 🦄

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Ooooh, I see I touched a nerve. Good, that was my intent.

At times in the past it's been MONTHS in between when a SINGLE PERSON was approved, even though people were waiting to get in. People on other forums report "I waited months and nothing happened so I moved on" and other people respond "same thing happened to me." You can figure that something is wrong without needing behind-the-scenes access. If you feel called out... that was the point. A response of snark and denial that there's a problem just solidifies that this place is broken and dead and ain't coming back.
No one denies there is a problem. There is no solution, though. It's a thankless job (all volunteer work is), and when 99% of the approved people take a peek in and poof away with anything between 0-2 posts, the approval team is unlikely to make it a higher priority.

Forums are slow. People who want fast fixes will do better on social media. You don't have to like it (I certainly don't), but facts is facts.

Stinky

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Near/far
All ye voyeuristic hidden guests! Quickly! Apply for an account right now and see if you were approved a long time ago!

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian

Welcome to the forum! :giggle: Glory to God.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
For the record, I think it was 5 weeks for me.