• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Old catholic mass now restricted (Traditiones Custodes)

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
Faith
Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction
Here and now (well...sometimes...)
Why are Catholics complaining? The primacy and supremacy of Peter is embodied by the Pope. If they don't like it, they can start their own Catholic church.
From what I can tell (which is usually very little most of the time) most of those complaining are the more die-hard, almost "fundamentalist" trads, especially those with bishops willing to forbid the use of the Latin Mass.

Xavier

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
marianapostolate.com
Faith
Ecumenical Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction
The Pope - but my heart is for Re-Union!
The Traditional Mass is loved by millions of Catholics. It will not die. Already many good Bishops have authorized it to continue in their dioceses. Most traditional Catholics, as Cardinal Burke recently said, love the Catholic Church and Her Pastors and want only to continue holding to Catholic Tradition in communion with the Pope.

Apotheoun

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
It is odd, seeing that Pope Francis' stated goal in his motu proprio is to protect Church unity, that the biggest cause of division in the Catholic Church is not the celebration of the "Extraordinary Form" of the Roman Rite; instead, it is Pope Francis himself who is the greatest cause of division. Now taking that into account, perhaps Francis should issue a letter motu proprio that muzzles his own ability to speak and interact with the faithful because nothing good ever comes from that, while simultaneously restricting his own power within the Church.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
It's amazing how this is clearly far more urgent to the Vatican than German RC clergy essentially marrying homosexual couples by and large.
What's the problem with that?

Xavier

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
marianapostolate.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
"Dear Holy Father, Dear Bishops! A plea from faithful young traditional Roman Catholics".

Katechon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
"Dear Holy Father, Dear Bishops! A plea from faithful young traditional Roman Catholics".

Aren't those young people inciting disobedience to the supreme pontiff in their respective bishops, Xavier? 😉

Apotheoun

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
"Dear Holy Father, Dear Bishops! A plea from faithful young traditional Roman Catholics."
And their pleas shall fall upon deaf ears. Pope Francis' accompanying letter that was issued with the motu proprio makes it clear that the old rite is being abrogated and suppressed (although he allows for a transition period of sorts), for as he explains:

"Indications about how to proceed in your dioceses are chiefly dictated by two principles: on the one hand, to provide for the good of those who are rooted in the previous form of celebration and need to return in due time to the Roman Rite promulgated by Saints Paul VI and John Paul II, and, on the other hand, to discontinue the erection of new personal parishes tied more to the desire and wishes of individual priests than to the real need of the 'holy People of God.'"

Pope Francis has made it is abundantly clear that there is no future for the old rite in a Church governed by him.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
UOCC
And their pleas shall fall upon deaf ears. Pope Francis' accompanying letter that was issued with the motu proprio makes it clear that the old rite is being abrogated and suppressed (although he allows for a transition period of sorts), for as he explains:

"Indications about how to proceed in your dioceses are chiefly dictated by two principles: on the one hand, to provide for the good of those who are rooted in the previous form of celebration and need to return in due time to the Roman Rite promulgated by Saints Paul VI and John Paul II, and, on the other hand, to discontinue the erection of new personal parishes tied more to the desire and wishes of individual priests than to the real need of the 'holy People of God.'"

Pope Francis has made it is abundantly clear that there is no future for the old rite in a Church governed by him.
And while traditionalist Catholics are holding out for a Pope Burke/Sarah/Schneider/Viganò/etc., the current Pope and his ilk have steadily sidelined those types of hierarchs and will have a progressive heir presumptive already lined up. The Vatican is gone and not coming back.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Aren't those young people inciting disobedience to the supreme pontiff in their respective bishops, Xavier? 😉
None of these young people are citizens of Vatican City so their opinions are invalid.

Lepanto

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
It's amazing how this is clearly far more urgent to the Vatican than German RC clergy essentially marrying homosexual couples by and large.
Nobody married any homosexuals. It is not possible. And "by and large" is an exaggeration. Not too many homosexual couples were actually interested in receiving a blessing from an entity that until recently (or still) stated that practicing homosexuality was a sin. Which makes the whole thing even more stupid.

Vanhyo

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
BOC

These cute people are not pope francis's masters but his subjects. His masters are the clA and the world banking elite.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
These guardians of tradition would do themselves a favor by learning proper Latin: “traditionis”.

Katechon

High Elder
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
And while traditionalist Catholics are holding out for a Pope Burke/Sarah/Schneider/Viganò/etc., the current Pope and his ilk have steadily sidelined those types of hierarchs and will have a progressive heir presumptive already lined up. The Vatican is gone and not coming back.
Oh, the "Pope Pius XIII." cope was a lot more popular a couple of years ago, before PF had named more than 50% of the current college of cardinals.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Nobody married any homosexuals. It is not possible. And "by and large" is an exaggeration. Not too many homosexual couples were actually interested in receiving a blessing from an entity that until recently (or still) stated that practicing homosexuality was a sin. Which makes the whole thing even more stupid.
"By and large" in this case means "practically", not "largely".

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
From (my personal) Orthodox perspective:

1. I understand pain of those that love this Mass - it reminds me my own situation with sudden change to old calendar in the Polish Church, wheares just some parish were allowed to keep new one. So: there is an access, but very restricted.

2. However, "Trads" as we say in Polish (ROman Catholic Traditionalists, mainly supporting Tridentine Mass but in shape from XIX c. including things aroudn it, horizons etc.) often forget that Tridentine Mass is actually not traditional, that it has modifications both liturgical and theological (and it happend during the Trent council but also later, including reforms of the Holy Week in last century, but also easlier e.g liturgy of hours that should b e acore) and that surpressed eventually other Western rites.

Samn!

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Patriarchaat van Erps-Kwerps
2. However, "Trads" as we say in Polish (ROman Catholic Traditionalists, mainly supporting Tridentine Mass but in shape from XIX c. including things aroudn it, horizons etc.) often forget that Tridentine Mass is actually not traditional, that it has modifications both liturgical and theological (and it happend during the Trent council but also later, including reforms of the Holy Week in last century, but also easlier e.g liturgy of hours that should b e acore) and that surpressed eventually other Western rites.
Tradition is more holding on to what you received than looking for the oldest- much of the original justification for the Novus Ordo was grounded in (now debunked) ideas about restoring aspects of the liturgy in Hippolytus' time. But I'm inclined to think attachment to the Tridentine Mass has a lot more to do with the basic awfulness of the Novus Ordo, both the extremely Protestantizing subjective feeling it gives off and the way it was (in some cases literally) written on the back of a napkin the night before it was due. Had Rome chosen to vernacularize and further reform the Tridentine liturgy instead of making up a substantially novel liturgy on Lutheran models, they wouldn't have this tension, which haunts Catholics far beyond Trad circles.

MalpanaGiwargis

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ACROD
Tradition is more holding on to what you received than looking for the oldest- much of the original justification for the Novus Ordo was grounded in (now debunked) ideas about restoring aspects of the liturgy in Hippolytus' time. But I'm inclined to think attachment to the Tridentine Mass has a lot more to do with the basic awfulness of the Novus Ordo, both the extremely Protestantizing subjective feeling it gives off and the way it was (in some cases literally) written on the back of a napkin the night before it was due. Had Rome chosen to vernacularize and further reform the Tridentine liturgy instead of making up a substantially novel liturgy on Lutheran models, they wouldn't have this tension, which haunts Catholics far beyond Trad circles.
Honestly, if they had stopped their tinkering at the 1965 "transitional" Missal, they'd be in better shape. Still some Latin, but vernacular readings in a slightly expanded lectionary and an overall similar "shape" to the Tridentine liturgy, with some accretions at the beginning and end of Mass pruned away.

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROCOR
I doubt even Lutheran liturgies would ever do things like this:

Samn!

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Jurisdiction
Patriarchaat van Erps-Kwerps
Honestly, if they had stopped their tinkering at the 1965 "transitional" Missal, they'd be in better shape. Still some Latin, but vernacular readings in a slightly expanded lectionary and an overall similar "shape" to the Tridentine liturgy, with some accretions at the beginning and end of Mass pruned away.
Yes. And there were real problems with how the mass worked in practice. The first time I attended a Tridentine mass, at an SSPX parish in France, so probably as in direct continuity with pre-Vatican II as can be found, my first reaction was "Ah.... so this is why they had to reform things!" The disconnect between what goes on at the altar and what the people in the pews are doing is palpable, though I can't really formulate why it seems, at least to me, so different from an Orthodox liturgy. It's more than just people having to follow cues from bells to know what's going on giving a vaguely mechanistic vibe. But the way that modern Catholic (and some Orthodox!) liturgists construe "active participation" is just as bad.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Yes. And there were real problems with how the mass worked in practice. The first time I attended a Tridentine mass, at an SSPX parish in France, so probably as in direct continuity with pre-Vatican II as can be found, my first reaction was "Ah.... so this is why they had to reform things!" The disconnect between what goes on at the altar and what the people in the pews are doing is palpable, though I can't really formulate why it seems, at least to me, so different from an Orthodox liturgy. It's more than just people having to follow cues from bells to know what's going on giving a vaguely mechanistic vibe.
My thoughts were similar when I've attended the Tridentine first (and unique) time. And that time I realised that my mum is right and I understood her when she had been saying that Tridentine Mass is not at all close to the Eastern Orthodox one, plus her other thoughts (since she remembers times of the Tridentine Mass).

MalpanaGiwargis

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ACROD
Yes. And there were real problems with how the mass worked in practice. The first time I attended a Tridentine mass, at an SSPX parish in France, so probably as in direct continuity with pre-Vatican II as can be found, my first reaction was "Ah.... so this is why they had to reform things!" The disconnect between what goes on at the altar and what the people in the pews are doing is palpable, though I can't really formulate why it seems, at least to me, so different from an Orthodox liturgy. It's more than just people having to follow cues from bells to know what's going on giving a vaguely mechanistic vibe. But the way that modern Catholic (and some Orthodox!) liturgists construe "active participation" is just as bad.
Indeed; it's no accident that Archbishop Lefebvre himself signed the Vatican II documents calling for reforms. I think that on the level of the text of the Mass itself, that which was received in the West from Orthodox antiquity, the traditional Mass is close to Orthodoxy, though with a Western emphasis, but the manner in which Mass and the entire Divine Office is said has been in a state of increasing degeneration for centuries.

Xavier

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
marianapostolate.com
Faith
Jurisdiction
Not at all. Did you read Art 2 of Traditionis Custodes? It clearly said the Diocesan Bishop has exclusive competence in the matter of deciding the form of liturgy in his individual diocese. " Art. 2. It belongs to the diocesan bishop, as moderator, promoter, and guardian of the whole liturgical life of the particular Church entrusted to him, [5] to regulate the liturgical celebrations of his diocese. [6] " https://www.vatican.va/content/fran...-motu-proprio-traditionis-custodes.html#_ftn6 So these faithful are fulfilling their Catholic rights and duties, also recognized by Canon law, in making known their just aspirations to the Bishops of the Churches.

"§2. The Christian faithful are free to make known to the pastors of the Church their needs, especially spiritual ones, and their desires.

§3. According to the knowledge, competence, and prestige which they possess, they have the right and even at times the duty to manifest to the sacred pastors their opinion on matters which pertain to the good of the Church and to make their opinion known to the rest of the Christian faithful, without prejudice to the integrity of faith and morals, with reverence toward their pastors, and attentive to common advantage and the dignity of persons.

Can. 213 The Christian faithful have the right to receive assistance from the sacred pastors out of the spiritual goods of the Church, especially the word of God and the sacraments.

Can. 214 The Christian faithful have the right to worship God according to the prescripts of their own rite approved by the legitimate pastors of the Church and to follow their own form of spiritual life so long as it is consonant with the doctrine of the Church." https://www.vatican.va/archive/cod-iuris-canonici/eng/documents/cic_lib2-cann208-329_en.html

Regarding the other matters being discussed, I've been to Eastern Liturgies (particularly Syro-Malabar Qurbana) and imho they are very beautiful and reverent. Each ecclesiastical tradition has its own beautiful ritual worship. As a Roman Catholic, I find the TLM astonishingly beautiful.

The prayers in particular are deep and meaningful: https://www.indiancatholicmatters.org/the-magnificent-traditional-holy-mass/

“P: And do Thou, O God, vouchsafe in all respects to bless (✠), consecrate (✠), and approve (✠) this our oblation, to perfect it and render it well-pleasing to Thyself, so that it may become for us the body (✠) and blood (✠) of Thy most beloved Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

P: Wherefore, O Lord, we, Thy servants, as also Thy holy people, calling to mind the blessed passion of the same Christ, Thy Son, our Lord, His resurrection from the grave, and His glorious ascension into heaven, offer up to Thy most excellent majesty of Thine own gifts bestowed upon us, a victim (✠) which is pure, a victim (✠) which is stainless, the holy bread (✠) of life everlasting, and the chalice (✠) of eternal salvation."

That being said, the New Mass also has some nice beautiful prayers, some of them from the East, and retains some of the old Roman Liturgy.

Cavaradossi

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
AANA
To me, it seems that Pope Francis has launched an attack on the very core of Pope Benedict's attempt to align the Second Vatican Council with pre-conciliar beliefs. For Pope Benedict, the terminology of ordinary and extraordinary was meant to establish a continuity between the Missal of Paul VI and the preceding Missal of Pius V, as revised by John XXIII (that is, the 1962 Missal) so that the Missal of Paul V would represent the ordinary expression of the same lex orandi (the law of prayer) of which the 1962 Missal was the extraordinary expression. Whereas he affirmed the validity of the Missal of Paul VI and the Second Vatican Council's call for liturgical renewal, he also established the opinion (now rejected by his successor) that neither of these constituted any change to the lex orandi of the pre-conciliar church and further more affirmed that since this is the case, celebrating under either rite could not create any division in the lex credendi (the law of belief) of the church. As he states in Summorum Pontificum, "These two expressions of the 'lex orandi' of the Church, shall in no way lead to division of the 'lex credendi' of the Church, for they are two usages of the one Roman Rite" (Hae duae expressiones “legis orandi” Ecclesiae, minime vero inducent in divisionem “legis credendi” Ecclesiae; sunt enim duo usus unici ritus romani).

Pope Francis casts this opinion of his predecessor completely aside. He makes it clear that he views communities still using the usus antiquior to be a threat to the unity of the lex credendi of the Church (this is part of the reasoning supplied for his decision to restrict the celebration of the 1962 Missal, as explained rather clearly in the letter accompanying his motu proprio). In Traditionis Custodes, he therefore gives the opinion that, "the liturgical books promulgated by Saint Paul VI and Saint John Paul II, in conformity with the decrees of Vatican Council II, are the unique expression of the lex orandi of the Roman Rite." In effect, the implication seems to be that Pope Francis is of the opinion that the lex credendi of the church somehow changed after the Second Vatican Council. Hence a new lex orandi was needed to express this, and the sole expression of this new lex orandi is found in the books promulgated by Popes Paul VI and John Paul II. The 1962 Missal ultimately has no place in the post-conciliar church envisioned by Pope Francis, since it expresses not the same lex orandi but a different lex orandi (and by implication a different lex credendi) than the novus ordo missae. Pope Francis' ultimate goal is the complete suppression of the usus antiquior, as one can see from his statement that those communities which use the 1962 Missal "need to return in due time to the Roman Rite promulgated by Saints Paul VI and John Paul II" and his prohibition on erecting any new communities which celebrate the usus antiquior.

It will be interesting, to say the least, to see what else Pope Francis will do to accomplish this end and whether his successors will be of the same mind. One thing, however, seems certain: far from being a settled matter as many perhaps naïvely thought, the fragile peace brought by the "hermeneutic of continuity" has been shattered by this revelation that the "hermeneutic of rupture" still occupies a strong presence in the episcopacy, the Vatican, and even the very papacy itself.

Cavaradossi

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
AANA
Not at all. Did you read Art 2 of Traditionis Custodes? It clearly said the Diocesan Bishop has exclusive competence in the matter of deciding the form of liturgy in his individual diocese. " Art. 2. It belongs to the diocesan bishop, as moderator, promoter, and guardian of the whole liturgical life of the particular Church entrusted to him, [5] to regulate the liturgical celebrations of his diocese.
Yet Art. 3 Section 2 and Section 6 seem to make it clear that this competency only extends as far as strangling the life out of existing groups (by disallowing them from celebrating the 1962 Missal in parish churches) and to prevent the establishment of new groups.

Cavaradossi

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
AANA
The papal office has become utterly capricious. One pope forbids a thing, while the next pope reverses that decision, only to have it re-forbidden by the next pope in the line, and so on and so on. It's absolute lunacy.
I am reminded of Adrian Fortescue’s complaint written in a private letter:
Centralisation grows and goes madder every century. Even at Trent they hardly foresaw this kind of thing. Does it really mean that one cannot be a member of the Church of Christ without being, as we are, absolutely at the mercy of an Italian lunatic?

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Although I realize this thread has been dormant for a month, I'd like to chime in at least to say this thread is pretty comical. GG OCnet. :)

FULK NERA

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
Wasn't the official word from ROCOR (or some ROCOR hierarch) at some point that they were done with the WR and that no new parishes or clergy would be appointed? I know Antioch remains quite accommodating, but there are jurisdictions in Orthodoxy that would like to see the WR ghettoized, or gotten rid of entirely, much like Pope Francis with the Tridentine bloc of the church.
I think rocor has had enough of the WR ghetto in its midst and doesn’t want to encourage that mindset. I would agree with their conclusion that it always goes badly.

Serge

Archon
Reaction score
Website
sergesblog.blogspot.com
Faith
Catholic
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Archdiocese of Philadelphia
I won't participate in the suppression of that Mass.
...nobody becomes Orthodox IN SPITE OF the Divine Liturgy.
Despite our differences, Katechon, that one's a keeper.

Eamonomae

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Constantine's Lost Rome
To me, it seems that Pope Francis has launched an attack on the very core of Pope Benedict's attempt to align the Second Vatican Council with pre-conciliar beliefs. For Pope Benedict, the terminology of ordinary and extraordinary was meant to establish a continuity between the Missal of Paul VI and the preceding Missal of Pius V, as revised by John XXIII (that is, the 1962 Missal) so that the Missal of Paul V would represent the ordinary expression of the same lex orandi (the law of prayer) of which the 1962 Missal was the extraordinary expression. Whereas he affirmed the validity of the Missal of Paul VI and the Second Vatican Council's call for liturgical renewal, he also established the opinion (now rejected by his successor) that neither of these constituted any change to the lex orandi of the pre-conciliar church and further more affirmed that since this is the case, celebrating under either rite could not create any division in the lex credendi (the law of belief) of the church. As he states in Summorum Pontificum, "These two expressions of the 'lex orandi' of the Church, shall in no way lead to division of the 'lex credendi' of the Church, for they are two usages of the one Roman Rite" (Hae duae expressiones “legis orandi” Ecclesiae, minime vero inducent in divisionem “legis credendi” Ecclesiae; sunt enim duo usus unici ritus romani).

Pope Francis casts this opinion of his predecessor completely aside. He makes it clear that he views communities still using the usus antiquior to be a threat to the unity of the lex credendi of the Church (this is part of the reasoning supplied for his decision to restrict the celebration of the 1962 Missal, as explained rather clearly in the letter accompanying his motu proprio). In Traditionis Custodes, he therefore gives the opinion that, "the liturgical books promulgated by Saint Paul VI and Saint John Paul II, in conformity with the decrees of Vatican Council II, are the unique expression of the lex orandi of the Roman Rite." In effect, the implication seems to be that Pope Francis is of the opinion that the lex credendi of the church somehow changed after the Second Vatican Council. Hence a new lex orandi was needed to express this, and the sole expression of this new lex orandi is found in the books promulgated by Popes Paul VI and John Paul II. The 1962 Missal ultimately has no place in the post-conciliar church envisioned by Pope Francis, since it expresses not the same lex orandi but a different lex orandi (and by implication a different lex credendi) than the novus ordo missae. Pope Francis' ultimate goal is the complete suppression of the usus antiquior, as one can see from his statement that those communities which use the 1962 Missal "need to return in due time to the Roman Rite promulgated by Saints Paul VI and John Paul II" and his prohibition on erecting any new communities which celebrate the usus antiquior.

It will be interesting, to say the least, to see what else Pope Francis will do to accomplish this end and whether his successors will be of the same mind. One thing, however, seems certain: far from being a settled matter as many perhaps naïvely thought, the fragile peace brought by the "hermeneutic of continuity" has been shattered by this revelation that the "hermeneutic of rupture" still occupies a strong presence in the episcopacy, the Vatican, and even the very papacy itself.
There's an even more fundamental point to this - if the doctrine and morality of the Church can contradict itself and change at the whim of whoever is in charge, and apparently has done so for centuries, then the Roman Catholic Church cannot, logically, claim to teach the same Gospel Christ taught.