• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Olympic Hockey

BrotherAidan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Who do you think will win the gold?
My pick is Slovakia, although the Finns have looked pretty awesome too.

oh, and BTW, how bout Evgeni Malkin on the Russian team?

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
While I haven't watched the hockey this year in the olympics, I would like to note that:

the grown-up in me loves Olympic hockey more than NHL because of the freedom to move and operate allows skill players to flourish;

but the kid in me says "knock their teeth out!"

Pedro

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA Diocese of the South
Where do we get a list of who's in the runnings?

Ebor

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Here maybe (go to the source as it were)

http://www.torino2006.org/ENG/OlympicGames/sport_ed_atleti/hockey.html

http://www.torino2006.org/ENG/IDF/IH/X05_20060222.html

Ebor

SouthSerb99

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.savekosovo.org
Slovakia is currently on their way to losing to the Czech republic and Canada is losing to Russia. :'( :'( :'(

Gold will go to the winner of the Canada vs. Russia game (which is looking like Russia right now).

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
I hope it goes to Russia, over those terror-inducing and inciting Canadians....

BrotherAidan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
was that in real time Southserb?

too bad for the Slovakian team (their goalie crossed himself and pointed to heaven after each win) and I like the various guys on that team on their various NHL teams

it will probably come down to the Russians and the Finns

hmmmm, I like the Finns, but it would be good for the Pittsburgh Penguins for Malkin to win a championship (also Gonchar; also I like Alex Kovalev, an ex-Pen)

the Czechs will be formidable at crunch time

How did the Swedes do vs. the Swiss (both are riding hot goaltenders) [I can't find any live updates]

coin toss

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
I haven't watched any yet... I am still recovering from the letdown of the Penguins absymal season. Ack.

BrotherAidan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Asteriktos
look at it this way:
Crosby is the real deal and he's still a boy, outplaying most of the men he faces
Malkin at age 20 is the best player in Russia and he will  be here next season
Malone has been coming on recently
Christenson and Talbott are the 2 best players in Wilkesbarre
The team is real strong down the middle; one center, probably Christenson will have to move to wing

Surovy is playing better and Oulette has been good;
armstrong has been great; some help and experience at wing via free agency would help

Fleury is awesome and will only get better; Caron will be a serviceable backup

the blue line is a different story, other than Orpik; Whitney still needs seasoning; maybe Welch will be up next season; hopefully someone will take Gonchar off their hands and they can get a decent defensive defenceman over the summer; Melichar and Scuderi are okay as 5-6 D
But if those guys can just play average the team will improve immensely

maybe Recchi gets dealt; maybe he comes back next season

In any case they will be way better; let's just hope it's not the last season they play in Pittsburgh

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction
OCA
What a terrible showing by Canada in this tournament! :eek: Heads are gonna roll. What was Gretzky thinking appointing Quinn as coach.....Kris Draper? Todd Bertuzzi? Players like Iginla and the Tampa Bay line are having mediocre years....why wasn't Staal on this team with the year he's having? Unbelievable.

I caught part of the US-Finland game near the end. LOoks like the Americans had the Finns worried at the end, but just couldn't seal the deal...

What was wrong with the Slovaks today? Geez, if they can't get up for a game against the Czechs, who can they get up for? Weird.

Anyway, to answer the question, I guess I like the Finns. But you know, any of these teams could take it. The Czechs are known for kind of falling asleep and then waking up when it's important, so don't count them out. The Swedes have a great team too. Strangely, I would say the Russians are the dark horse here! But any team can take it, because they only have to win 2 games.

SouthSerb99

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.savekosovo.org
Pravoslavbob said:
What a terrible showing by Canada in this tournament! :eek: Heads are gonna roll. What was Gretzky thinking appointing Quinn as coach.....Kris Draper? Todd Bertuzzi? Players like Iginla and the Tampa Bay line are having mediocre years....why wasn't Staal on this team with the year he's having? Unbelievable.
Bob, I agree with some of this but not all.

Even though I'm a Leaf fan, I agree that Quinn was not the right guy for the job (nor did McCabe belong on this team), but after his success in 2002, how do you take it away from him.

I mean, we all know hindsight is 20/20, but lets say he put your boy Murray in the job, and they still lost. Everyone would be saying "how could he not use Quinn who already coached them to gold".

Second, I would have liked to see Crosby, Spezza and Staal on the team, but again, same thing goes about hindsight. If they would have lost with those guys, everyone would have said "Gretzky went too young and needed more experience". It's really a NO-WIN when Canada loses.

Yesterday, I sat around devastated after the loss (non-Canucks don't quite understand how Hockey nuts we are), but I think the real reason is simply that we did not play well.

Where was Thornton? He's second in the league in points, yet he was invisible.

Where was Heatley? He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door.

Iginla? Nada.

St. Louis, Richards, Lecavalier? Terrible.

The goaltending? Up and until the final, it was good, but it was not "stand on your head amazing". Brodeur was excellent in the final and against the Czechs, but at this level, I've seen better (do you recall Mike Richter in the first World Cup of Hockey?)

It's going to be a long four years. On the positive side is that 2010, the games will be in Vancouver, our "kids" will be "young men" and hopefully on top (where they belong).

As for this tournament, I stand by what I said. Winner of Canada - Russia takes gold. If the Russians play the Finns the way they played Canada, I say 4-0 Ruski's in a walk (after all, they're Orthodox, doesn't that mean God is on their side :D :D :D :D)

SouthSerb99

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.savekosovo.org
BrotherAidan said:
was that in real time Southserb?
Sorry I didn't get back to this sooner (I was rushing home to watch the game - I Tivo'd it).

If you go to www.tsn.ca, the have an updating scoreboard for some games and if you go to http://www.nbcolympics.com/index.html they have a more detaild outlook of games in progress, although you have to manually refresh.

BrotherAidan

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Religious profile of these countries (Russian and Czechs playing for bronze)
Finland - Orthodox and Lutheran
Sweden - Lutheran
Russia - Orthodox
Czech Republic - Roman Catholic, some Othodox

However, as I have posted elsewhere, hockey is among the most secularized sports; its travel and game schedules are so weekend intensive that it makes regular church attendance all but non-existent during the season.

Also, many of the older Eastern European players were brought up under the Communist system of putting kids in hockey training centers fromm the time they showed potential at about 12, so they had no religious upbringing.

Maybe the younger generation of EE players will have been re-introduced to their Orthodox heritage (from watching figure skating, alot of them seem to have for I saw many crossing themselves)

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction