• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

On churches

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
That was a general overview of the world and didn't single out protestants.
ok but why are Protestants included?

If the Protestant faith is the truth then you can not blame the Protestant faith because people are choosing which path they like to give them salvation they know they have responsibility by God.

Last edited:

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I should not say Protestant for one should not be considered as one who wants to attack other believers but to contend for what they think the bible teaches. If Jesus did not teach that you need to be part of one church then you can not blame those who believe He did not create those denominations

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
Maybe I caught you at a bad time.

Some people like to quote St. Peter, "....for there is no other name under Heaven by which you must be saved." But we have to take St. Pete's word for it.
You're also expected to believe in a virgin birth and St. Mary anyway.

mcarmichael

The City of New Orleans
Post Moderated
Muted
BANNED
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
TBD
You could just stand outside of the church or in the Narthex, you aren't expected to participate in the prayers there.

You could just start showing up and doing an apostates penance, idk? Of course you couldn't be considered an apostate I think but it would be dramatic. If you do catechize you will be expected to say St. Paul's confession anyway.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
ok but why are Protestants included?

If the Protestant faith is the truth then you can not blame the Protestant faith because people are choosing which path they like to give them salvation they know they have responsibility by God.
Because, simply being a part of a group doesn't exclude anyone.

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I do plan to be back to practice orthodoxy yet read other Christian things such as Christian heroes and stories of encountering God but I want to be back to orthodoxy until it can be proven other Christians are saved. They could be saved but as there is no proof I thought I should be orthodox to be sure. I want to experience if I can be close to God in following orthodox books like philokalia but I may not experience anything different or maybe I can find anyone can benefit from the wisdom of such books I wish I can prove you can experience God fully without such books

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Thankyou I believe it is probably true too but I want to be sure and part of church until it is proven otherwise

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Actually I decided orthodoxy is not for me I believe the best path to please God to win souls is outside the church and being close to Him is important for me to be able to win souls to hear His voice

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
Orthodox Church does require a bit, there is obligation, not commiting ourselves promising nothing to Our Lord, well, it is easier to walk to the side of the Christian march not expected to join any battle or put your shoulder against the wagon, I understand completely, maybe we will talk again farther along the way,,

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
https://fb.watch/49IXG31j3p/

Perhaps if you are born orthodox more is required of you or you will suffer loss for the riches of the church allow you to win more to the Lord by your faithful living

I have to just accept that those who teach if orthodox become catholic they will lose their soul that they do not truly represent orthodoxy or that those not born into orthodox faith don’t have to become orthodox unless they want to say they need to stay orthodox but I think that is not fair and probably not true either if one can not know and I will not accept to reject them so I will receive communion from those who accept me as orthodox with my own beliefs. Maybe I will be more fruitful to help all the believers

Those orthodox who become catholic can be saved but they don’t have the rich treasure of orthodoxy to win more to the Lord to see how one can be most fruitful to attract people to orthodoxy or to witness to the truth of Christianity best when they see proper saints to attract people to it even if they don’t join the church for the saints to be able to win more to the Lord to also be the most safest way to save one upon death to not need prayer of the dead at all because otherwise you may need to strive harder to find and do God will completely if such instruction is not easily found to be saved upon death

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Actually I believe it is a mistake as I do not believe the orthodox faith is really the faith delivered by the apostles as they judged all others in their time who were not united to the apostolic succession but God could have allowed and been involved in the existence of such tradition which others at the time knew is not the faith of the apostles for personal preference reasons who believe there should be a priesthood but the truth is God would not will that others interpret God will for you of how to follow God and they do add to what is required for salvation but God allowed them to preach as they do as people would prefer such and believe such is required and not yet come to faith in the gospel message but so that people would not feel condemned if they did not come to faith about the gospel message if they thought they needed another teacher to tell them what they must do to be saved

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Or so people are not condemned if they have trust in a teacher to teach them how they are to work for their salvation if they do not have proper understanding of how God works out one salvation but teachers can lead astray only if you know what they teach is in contradiction to Jesus which people have responsibility to hear Jesus first but the church fathers I think do not teach anything that would make one disqualified for salvation if one follows it and a teacher can not lead one astray if a person is not choosing to follow them when they know it is wrong. It does not seem best to have communion in the church if I don’t know my beliefs are really acceptable in orthodoxy if we can not know since my beliefs do not fit the beliefs of the church fathers at that time

Last edited:

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
You can’t do anything for the dead except save those who commited sin not leading to death by praying for them to help them in their place of temporal punishment

But you can pray for yourself to repent perfectly and to be united to God now before death and to ensure you have understanding of salvation for yourself and to teach others what you know incase because such practices may be a reliable guide to know if you are following the full will of God because others have walked in a true path before with complete knowledge but you can still follow God perfectly without it with the word of God as David said I have more understanding than all my teachers for your testimonies are my meditation but such teachers as well as the wisdom of other people such as pastors can challenge you if you are actually following the will of God so you will be able to know for sure you are doing the complete will of God if you are worried you don’t know if you are faithful in following God but I believe seeking God alone is necessary to do the will of God we are full in Him but to ensure we are doing it we should hear others to test if we are in the full will of God

Therefore some orthodox spiritual practices may be useful like Jesus prayer though I do not agree with orthodox beliefs that you need communion in the church or to know if communion is necessary but it could be

Last edited:
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Antioch
I do not know if you have read: Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis but you might find it helpful. Whether you are Orthodox or not, this book is helpful in mutual understanding among different Christians & keeping true to your school. It might be able to help you communicate in the way you seem to be struggling with.

mikeforjesus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Thanks I have read it a long time ago but I forget much of it I will read it again
I thought only doing the Jesus prayer would be helpful just to see if it will help enlighten one to be sure he is on the path but it may not be necessary at all but it could be helpful to help make sure you found the right path and to show others them not reading to pray at all Jesus prayer but just to know if you are on right path and teach it to others it could be helpful to make sure one is on path