• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

On the tellybox

Reaction score
In the UK, this year's live Christmas Day service broadcast was from an Anglican church in my county.

At the Fraction, instead of the usual "Agnus Dei", the choir sang the Fraction responsory from the Orthodox Divine Liturgy according to St Germanus.

The service is available to view on BBC iPlayer for the next four weeks or so. The relevant section is at 42.30.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Subdeacon Michael said:
In the UK, this year's live Christmas Day service broadcast was from an Anglican church in my county.

At the Fraction, instead of the usual "Agnus Dei", the choir sang the Fraction responsory from the Orthodox Divine Liturgy according to St Germanus.

The service is available to view on BBC iPlayer for the next four weeks or so. The relevant section is at 42.30.
Is it available on YouTube for thoee of us who do not have a British IP address?

Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
Subdeacon Michael said:

Is it available on YouTube for thoee of us who do not have a British IP address?
I'm afraid the Beeb doesn't do that. I'm sorry.

There are previous years' on YouTube but they have been somehow captured from iPlayer and posted by other individuals. I don't know how to do that but I've asked the person who posted last year's whether it might be possible to do the same with this.

The iPlayer download doesn't result in a standard file that can be uploaded.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Subdeacon Michael said:
Alpha60 said:
Subdeacon Michael said:

I'm afraid the Beeb doesn't do that. I'm sorry.

There are previous years' on YouTube but they have been somehow captured from iPlayer and posted by other individuals. I don't know how to do that but I've asked the person who posted last year's whether it might be possible to do the same with this.

The iPlayer download doesn't result in a standard file that can be uploaded.
That would be great.  I hate it by the way when the Beeb releases brilliant religious programming, like the very educational series Around the World in 80 Faiths and Extreme Pilgrim, with Fr. Peter Owen-Jones, and then provides no legal way for people in the US or the UK to acquire it, but makes a point to DMCA videos of it uploaded to YouTube.  These are educational programs produced in the public interest and ought to be in the public domain, IMO.  I understand the Beeb needing to protect copyrights on some of its more valuable intellectual property, but in the cases you and I are mentioning, its not as though we are talking about Doctor Who or Top Gear.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
I hate it by the way when the Beeb releases brilliant religious programming, like the very educational series Around the World in 80 Faiths and Extreme Pilgrim, with Fr. Peter Owen-Jones, and then provides no legal way for people in the US or the UK to acquire it, but makes a point to DMCA videos of it uploaded to YouTube.  These are educational programs produced in the public interest and ought to be in the public domain, IMO.  I understand the Beeb needing to protect copyrights on some of its more valuable intellectual property, but in the cases you and I are mentioning, its not as though we are talking about Doctor Who or Top Gear.
It usually does, but DVDs take time to produce.

Educational material being in the public domain is all well and good, but good educational material also costs a lot to produce. Prices drop, eventually.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
Subdeacon Michael said:

You could use a VPN.

Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Alpha60 said:
Subdeacon Michael said:

You could use a VPN.
This is probably the quickest and simplest solution.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Alpha60 said:
I hate it by the way when the Beeb releases brilliant religious programming, like the very educational series Around the World in 80 Faiths and Extreme Pilgrim, with Fr. Peter Owen-Jones, and then provides no legal way for people in the US or the UK to acquire it, but makes a point to DMCA videos of it uploaded to YouTube.  These are educational programs produced in the public interest and ought to be in the public domain, IMO.  I understand the Beeb needing to protect copyrights on some of its more valuable intellectual property, but in the cases you and I are mentioning, its not as though we are talking about Doctor Who or Top Gear.
It usually does, but DVDs take time to produce.

Educational material being in the public domain is all well and good, but good educational material also costs a lot to produce. Prices drop, eventually.
Don’t misunderstand me, I have no qualms about buying these documentaries on DVDs.  But the BBC doesn’t sell the documentaries in question on DVD, but issued takedown notices to remove them from YouTube.  If there were DVDs to buy I would buy them (although that takes us to another issue which is regional encoding; getting an American DVD player to play them is highly unlikely).

The BBC is positively nasty when it comes to content they own, but don’t offer for sale, which includes much of the best television made. 

Right now however they are permitting their wonderful documentaries on “the Great Offices of State” (not the Great Officers like the Lord High Steward or Lord Privy Seal, but rather, the Home Office, Foreign Office and Treasury) on YouTube, which is some splendid viewing.

Channel 4 also does some brilliant documentaries, edgier than the Beeb as I am sure you know (recall Hyacinth Bucket’s hilarious verbal abuse of Channel 4 in Keeping Up Appearances), and these along with the occasional smashingly good ITV documentary are equally obscure (I think ITV did the brilliant documentary A Lord’s Tale, about the reform of the House of Lords in 1999).

I am posting a follow up thread about British television networks and tea in Other Topics.