• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

One Religion For All?

Reaction score
Faith
Seeker (lapsed Orthodox)
Jurisdiction
OCA
NOTE: I have several questions/problems with Christianity that I think are probably unanswerable. But
if there are answers to them, I think the Orthodox Faith will have them.
But right now I won't ask all the questions, I will ask only one. This is a very
hot topic, especially in today's world. I ask it in sincerity and with all respect.

With so many different people on the earth, how can there be one God, one Faith, one Savior for ALL?
With so many different peoples, perspectives, ideas, etc., how can we now have one size fits all with religion?
And not only that, but a revealed (& foreign) religon that does not come from our ethnic heritage (unless we're Jewish)?

There has been conversion from paganism to Christianity. But because of our different ideas, perspectives, and worldviews,
Christianity has splintered into many different demoninations. It seems like it doesn't work for all people.
Thanks.

Katechon

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
ROC-MP
Because unicity and multiplicity are not in dialectical tension, as is revealed in God being both one and three (multiple).

MarkosC

Reaction score
Faith
Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction
Eparchy of Newton
NOTE: I have several questions/problems with Christianity that I think are probably unanswerable. But
if there are answers to them, I think the Orthodox Faith will have them.
But right now I won't ask all the questions, I will ask only one. This is a very
hot topic, especially in today's world. I ask it in sincerity and with all respect.

With so many different people on the earth, how can there be one God, one Faith, one Savior for ALL?
With so many different peoples, perspectives, ideas, etc., how can we now have one size fits all with religion?
And not only that, but a revealed (& foreign) religon that does not come from our ethnic heritage (unless we're Jewish)?

There has been conversion from paganism to Christianity. But because of our different ideas, perspectives, and worldviews,
Christianity has splintered into many different demoninations. It seems like it doesn't work for all people.
Thanks.
Umm you ask like three questions, with futher questions implied at the end. :D

Anyway, my quick answer (don't have time to proofread or edit; this is stream of conciousness): one (or none!) of these religions, logically, must be right and the others wrong.

Simplify this down to "mere"* Christianity, Buddhism, and Islam. Their ontology, anthropology, soteriology, to say nothing of basic theology are all mutually exclusive. (I believe Islam even explcitly so - beyond the "people of the book" business and Islam trumps previous revelation, IIRC supposedly Isa the prophet** will proclaim at the last judgment that he was not the Son of God - don't know how authoritative that is)

So that means one (or none) of the three is true. The others are then human and/or demonic delusions.

(to hit the most obvious follow-on questions - how is it then that people in each of these religions can do good? will God condemn those in the other two religions? I say: the wisdom and goodness of God exists regardless of one's folly, and one can follow that wisdom and goodness no matter what religion - like Narnia's Emeth. Further, I will not speak for God on His judgments and will be quite happy to not be condemned myself; no way I'm going to condemn others)

Obviously none of them could also be true and thus are all delusions.(raw hardcore atheism) That idea has its own ontological and anthropologic implications as well. There's also (generally in well educated western liberal circles) the idea that all of them are forms of human experience and participation in the human search for ....something or other psychology. that's either functional atheism or fairly soft unitarianism. This idea also has its own ontology, anthropology, soteriology, etc... (even if it's only "squishy meaningless milquetoast" which it is if taken to extremes).

One other obvious question is "well then if one is true why don't people realize it and why does God hide? And if it is true why do people still do horrible and wrong things to each other?". Whole libraries could be filled just cataloging existing books. My very short answers:

Christianity: people don't realize its truth because humanity turned away from its creator very early on (i.e. sought life away from the source of life, which can only be death and delsion) and can't accurately perceive God on their own; God revealed himself and drew people to Him to include becoming incarnate, dying, and freeing humans from that darkness. But nevertheless people still contend with that darkness, and thus even among God's people there will be times when everyone stumbles and does wrong, with hard consequences - to say nothing of the people who pursue either old or new delusions.

Buddhism: the dharma is hidden because of people's delusion for desire; the Sakyamuni Buddha found the correct philosophy and if one follows that eventually they will be relieved of suffering. (IIRC that Buddha and others are enlightened beings who choose reincarnation at least every so often to spread the dharma, and there is the saying that someday the dharma won't be taught on earth again, after which one of these Buddhas will reincarnate and proclaim it anew, as has happened before throughout time). Note that one major difference with Christianity here is that the dharma exists as, to my understanding, an uncreated first principle, which rather than a being is the straight up creator God in Christanity. Again, mutually exclusive even in the highly butchered form I just presented).

Islam: I'm honestly not too familiar with this aspect of Islam; I think it has something to do with humanity not obeying God. I believe that the Islamic philosophy on this is much more direct and confrontational than in Christianity.

Anyway, some thoughts.

*aka lowest common denominator among different denominations and variants, what you'll find in a religion 101 textbook

** completely different of course from Isa the Egyptian, who very distinctively frequents various internet fora.....