• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Only the Orthodox Church can claim to have it's roots since the 1st century.

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
stanley123 said:
deusveritasest said:
stanley123 said:
ialmisry said:
You haven't noticed that slavery has been abolished, and thus, there are no slaves to submit, if you are worried about that. 
You appear to be seriously in error on your claim that there are no slaves today. There is slavery today, and I believe that the Orthodox Church has abandoned the teaching of apostolic times that slaves should submit themselves to their masters with all respect. Therefore, it is pretty unconvincing when an Orthodox Christian claims that the Roman Church has abandoned some of the apostolic teachings.
Here are some of the FACES OF SLAVERY AND BONDAGE
IN THE 21st CENTURY:
http://www.anti-slaverysociety.addr.com/toc.htm
Where do you get the idea that the OC has abandoned teaching slaves to be obedient to their masters?
Oh. So slaves are supposed to be obedient to their masters according to the teaching of the Orthodox Church? Is that it? Can you kindly supply a reference to some authoritative source for that?
You're the one who was making assumptions. Stop projecting. I never said that the Orthodox Church teaches that. I just said that it might.

Wyatt

Archon
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
Wyatt said:
stanley123 said:
This claim is pretty hollow when you consider the fact that the Orthodox Church has abandoned certain apostolic teachings as well.
When it's us it's heresy, when it's them it's economy. :p
That's because you make the exception the rule.
How so?

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
the Holy Mother Church of all Christendom, Holy Zion, Jerusalem and the three Palestines.  That would be...the Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem.
Indeed, long live the Orthodox Bishop of Jerusalem:

His Beatitude Archbishop Torkom Manoogian of Jerusalem

[quote author=ialmisry]the Pope of Alexandria, the original Pope[/quote]
The original Pope:

HH Pope Shenouda III Patriarch of Alexandria and all Africa

[quote author=Wyatt]Our Holy Apostolic See was founded Ss. Peter and Paul...[/quote]
The true successor of Sts Peter and Paul the Apostles:

HH Mar Ignatius Zaka I Iwas Patriarch of Antioch and all the East

[quote author=FatherHLL]And your communion does not have a Bishop of Constantinople[/quote]
Well mine certainly does...

HB Mesrob II Mutafyan Bishop of Constantinople and all Turkey

Lol!

stanley123

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
deusveritasest said:
stanley123 said:
deusveritasest said:
stanley123 said:
ialmisry said:
You haven't noticed that slavery has been abolished, and thus, there are no slaves to submit, if you are worried about that. 
You appear to be seriously in error on your claim that there are no slaves today. There is slavery today, and I believe that the Orthodox Church has abandoned the teaching of apostolic times that slaves should submit themselves to their masters with all respect. Therefore, it is pretty unconvincing when an Orthodox Christian claims that the Roman Church has abandoned some of the apostolic teachings.
IN THE 21st CENTURY:
Where do you get the idea that the OC has abandoned teaching slaves to be obedient to their masters?
Oh. So slaves are supposed to be obedient to their masters according to the teaching of the Orthodox Church? Is that it? Can you kindly supply a reference to some authoritative source for that?
You're the one who was making assumptions. Stop projecting. I never said that the Orthodox Church teaches that. I just said that it might.
It might? Can you give an authoritative  reference for that? I really doubt that it teaches anything of the sort.

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
stanley123 said:
deusveritasest said:
stanley123 said:
deusveritasest said:
stanley123 said:
ialmisry said:
IN THE 21st CENTURY:
It might? Can you give an authoritative  reference for that? I really doubt that it teaches anything of the sort.
The burden of proof would actually be on those who want to suggest that the teaching has changed. Otherwise status quo should simply assume that it has remained the same.

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Severian said:

His Holiness Archbishop Torkom Manoogian of Jerusalem
The Armenians are not the Apostolic church of Palestine.

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
deusveritasest said:
Severian said:

Oh, whatever.  :p 

Just kidding ;). Technically you are right, but then again, neither are the Catholics. And the Greek Patriarchate of Jerusalem was only established at Chalcedon even though the Bishopric of Jerusaelm has been there since ancient times. And even if he isn't the Apostolic Patriarch, he is the Orthodox Patriarch*.

*Not that I don't consider EOs Orthodox, I do consider them such.

P.S. I liked how you changed your faith status to "drawn to Oriental Orthodox Christianity". May God guide you, Deusveritasest.

stanley123

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
deusveritasest said:
stanley123 said:
deusveritasest said:
stanley123 said:
deusveritasest said:
stanley123 said:
ialmisry said:
IN THE 21st CENTURY:
The burden of proof would actually be on those who want to suggest that the teaching has changed. Otherwise status quo should simply assume that it has remained the same.
Do you mean then that we should assume that the Orthodox Church teaches that slaves should submit to their masters?

Severian

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.lsocs.co.uk
Let me just show you all the Patriarch of Constantinople, because I edited my previous two posts:

HB Mesrob II Mutafyan Bishop of Constantinople and all Turkey

Lol!

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Severian said:
deusveritasest said:
Severian said:

Oh, whatever.  :p 

Just kidding ;). Technically you are right, but then again, neither are the Catholics. And the Greek Patriarchate of Jerusalem was only established at Chalcedon even though the Bishopric of Jerusaelm has been there since ancient times.
Here is the head of the real Apostolic church of Palestine:

Mor Severios Malke Mourad

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Reaction score
stanley123 said:
deusveritasest said:
stanley123 said:
deusveritasest said:
stanley123 said:
deusveritasest said:
stanley123 said:
ialmisry said:
IN THE 21st CENTURY:
Do you mean then that we should assume that the Orthodox Church teaches that slaves should submit to their masters?
Perhaps. In case you hadn't noticed I'm taking an approach of not making a lot of assumptions here.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
stanley123 said:
1. What God has joined together, let no man put asunder. But the Orthodox Church allows divorce.
Catholics are fortunate that the great majority of their marriages were never joined together by God and so they are easily sundered by an annulment.  These marriages are in fact legal cohabitation.

And the few Catholic marriages that may have been legitimate may be sundered by a separation.

Irish Hermit

Merarches
Reaction score
stanley123 said:
Aposphet said:
It is not so much that Rome has lost it's lineage of apostolic succession but rather it has lost grace of apostolic succession by abandonment of the apostolic faith. ...
Still, I think that it can be argued that there are certain practices and teachings in apostolic times which have been abandoned by the Orthodox Church. For another example, take the teaching in apostolic times that slaves should be subject to their masters. Is it not true that the Orthodox Church has abandoned this apostolic teaching?

I wonder if this apostolic teaching was faithfully observed by the thousands and thousands of Irish Catholics shipped as slaves to the Americas.  Did they smile obediently as their masters set their hands on fire or sawed off their heads?

"They came as slaves; vast human cargo transported on tall British ships bound for the Americas.
They were shipped by the hundreds of thousands and included men, women, and even the youngest of children.

"Whenever they rebelled or even disobeyed an order, they were punished in the harshest ways.
Slave owners would hang their human property by their hands and set their hands or feet on fire
as one form of punishment. They were burned alive and had their heads placed on pikes in the
marketplace as a warning to other captives."

The Irish Slave Trade – The Forgotten “White” Slaves
The Slaves That Time Forgot
By John Martin
http://www.africaresource.com/rasta/sesostris-the-great-the-egyptian-hercules/the-irish-slave-trade-forgotten-white-slaves/