• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Organ/body donation?

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
A thread on cremation got me wondering what others' views of organ donation and donating one's body after death to a medical training institution are. Since I've been considering the latter, I know my priest's position. But it would be instructive to hear from others as well.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
The late Archbishop Christodoulos of Athens was an organ donor and serious supporter of the initiative. Cancer didn't allow anything to be salvaged, but the attitude matters.

As far as I'm concerned, if there's anything left usable of me after I no longer have use for it, go ahead and take it, as a last good turn to humanity before the rest goes into feeding woodland. The 'leaving your body to science' position is blurrier, though. I haven't seen it discussed half as much.

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
This to me makes no sense as we can spread our body parts trough out the world but some how it's bad to burn the body.

I think it's a good thing that you want to give your organs to someone in need my top post is how there seems to be a double standard

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
jewish voice said:
This to me makes no sense as we can spread our body parts trough out the world but some how it's bad to burn the body.

I think it's a good thing that you want to give your organs to someone in need my top post is how there seems to be a double standard
It's not really a double standard.  One destroys the body... the other puts it to good use.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Salve Regina
Jurisdiction
La Virgin de Cobre
So when the Lord returns in glory, will donated organs be ripped out of their new bodies so they can be returned to the resurrected bodies of the faithful dead as they rise to meet Christ?

jewish voice

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Still dont know yet
Agabus said:
So when the Lord returns in glory, will donated organs be ripped out of their new bodies so they can be returned to the resurrected bodies of the faithful dead as they rise to meet Christ?
lol +1 what if that person sins with your organ are you held responsible cause God said your body will testify against you on judgement day

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Salve Regina
Jurisdiction
La Virgin de Cobre
jewish voice said:
Agabus said:
lol +1 what if that person sins with your organ are you held responsible cause God said your body will testify against you on judgement day
These are the real questions we need answered.

Lepanto

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction
Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
The real question is the definition of death.
It is permissible to extract those organs which are necessary for living only after death.