Oriental Orthodox Music

Salpy

Toumarches
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
14,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Indian Orthodox hymn for the Feast of the Transfiguration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jov_NzzhcMQ


Also hymns for Good Friday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWKiOeGx8mY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqXnHskP3EE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AGKXvrzpuI
 

Salpy

Toumarches
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
14,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
From a liturgy at a Malankara Orthodox church in Cleveland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13AMhmPuIfM
 

Salpy

Toumarches
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
14,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
An Ethiopian Mezmur, praising the Holy Trinity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4JlcBVw0jc
 
Joined
Aug 8, 2004
Messages
2,743
Reaction score
0
Points
0
My Favourite Coptic Nativity Hymn, E-Parthenos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsI8-gfJUfI

Before presenting an amazing performance of the hymn (from 6:49 onwards) the lead chanter of the famous Coptic vocal group, 'David Ensemble', begins by giving amazing insight into the manner in which the melody and rhythm of this hymn translate the spiritual and theological principles lyrically expressed.

This mysterious, harmonious interplay between lyrics and melody/rhythm is a standard characteristic of all Coptic Orthodox Liturgical hymns.

An english rendition of E-Parthenos exclusively recorded for erkohet.com may be downloaded from that website at the following link: http://erkohet.com/downloads/E-Parthenos_+_Pijenmisi_erkohet.mp3

To follow the english translation at the basis of the above recording (which is more accurate than the one displayed in the subtitles of the above-linked youtube clip), see here:
http://erkohet.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=77%3Aeparthenos-lyrics&Itemid=1
 

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
20,198
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NJ
EkhristosAnesti said:
My Favourite Coptic Nativity Hymn, E-Parthenos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsI8-gfJUfI

Before presenting an amazing performance of the hymn (from 6:49 onwards) the lead chanter of the famous Coptic vocal group, 'David Ensemble', begins by giving amazing insight into the manner in which the melody and rhythm of this hymn translate the spiritual and theological principles lyrically expressed.

This mysterious, harmonious interplay between lyrics and melody/rhythm is a standard characteristic of all Coptic Orthodox Liturgical hymns.

An english rendition of E-Parthenos exclusively recorded for erkohet.com may be downloaded from that website at the following link: http://erkohet.com/downloads/E-Parthenos_+_Pijenmisi_erkohet.mp3

To follow the english translation at the basis of the above recording (which is more accurate than the one displayed in the subtitles of the above-linked youtube clip), see here:
http://erkohet.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=77%3Aeparthenos-lyrics&Itemid=1
Is it true that this hymn was added by recently by HH St. Pope Kyrillos VI?
 

Salpy

Toumarches
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
14,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Some more beautiful Coptic chanting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DkK8uWWjHM
 
Joined
Aug 8, 2004
Messages
2,743
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The following clip displays, similar to the previous clip I posted a link for, another Coptic Nativity hymn--this time the reading of the Psalm in what is known as the 'Singari tune'--preceded by commentary on the interplay between the theological content of the hymn, its rhythm and its melody. Unfortunately, this clip does not have english subtitles as the other one does. For those who do not understand Arabic and would like to skip straight to the performance of the hymn, go to 4:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p848wyh8kqk

The lyrics of the hymn in english are as follows:

Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia. The Lord said to Me, "You are My Son, today I have begotten You. Ask of Me, and I will give You the heathen for Your inheritance, and the ends of the earth for Your possession. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia.

Wondering why it takes Copts over 5 minutes to chant two lines? Read here!  ;)
 

Salpy

Toumarches
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
14,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I love the congregational singing in this video taken in a Coptic church:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeXb83sWBLI
 

dhinuus

High Elder
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
688
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Here are two Syriac hymns from the Syriac Orthodox Liturgy of Theophany (Denaha in Syriac).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk4ioMqvOyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wOxMnguRA4

Mathew G M
 

Heorhij

Merarches
Joined
May 2, 2007
Messages
8,574
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
62
Location
Columbus, MS, USA (Originally from Ukraine)
Website
www.muw.edu
Sorry guys, I can't relate to that, just like I can't relate to the Bysantine musical tradition. Paradoxically I, an Eastern European - a Ukrainian, - am still 100% engraved in the Western European musical tradition. The fundamentals of what I perceive as "music" generally, including the church music, are Western European Baroque tradition. That's what shaped Bortnyansky, Berezovsky, Vedel... All the "prostopinie" flies next to my ears never entering them, let alone the music of the pre-European Bysantine empire or the Arabic or whatever other music. I don't hate it... I am not saying it's bad... but it just isn't MINE...
 

Salpy

Toumarches
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
14,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
dhinuus said:
Here are two Syriac hymns from the Syriac Orthodox Liturgy of Theophany (Denaha in Syriac).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk4ioMqvOyQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wOxMnguRA4

Mathew G M
I love the word to the hymns.  The first one:

The skies above the river smiled, filling the world with joy.
The crowds are amazed; the river agitated by the manifestation of the (Holy) Trinity.

The Son is standing in the moving waters, being baptized by His servant; The Holy Spirit descending from heaven; and the Father testifying: This is My Son.

By Your baptism, O Lord, purify our minds to be a place for
Your majesty. And by Your manifestation, enlighten our senses that we may thank You for Your goodness.


The second one:

John mixed the water of baptism,
Which Jesus sanctified when he went down into the river to be baptized in it,
At that moment when He came out of the water, heaven and earth paid Him honor,
The sun submitted its dazzling light and the stars bowed for Him,
Who sanctified all the rivers and springs, halleluiah, halleluiah


It's beautiful how the hymns make it seem like nature literally came to life when Christ entered the waters of the Jordan.  There is an Armenian Theophany hymn with a similar theme.  It must  be a common theme at Theophany.
 

AmdeBirhan

Newbie
Joined
Apr 5, 2009
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New Jersey
VERY MOVING!  What a great sound! Betam Gubbez!

Salpy said:
Ethiopian chant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdybDgU1Oe0&feature=channel_page


and a child beautifully singing a mezmur:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuAisC46GMI&feature=channel_page





(Edited by Salpy to fix quote tags.)
 

Alveus Lacuna

Taxiarches
Joined
Sep 17, 2008
Messages
7,416
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Missouri, USA
Salpy said:
From a liturgy at a Malankara Orthodox church in Cleveland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13AMhmPuIfM
I really liked seeing this.  It reminded me of this other oriental liturgy that is is English.  I'm sure it has probably been posted on here already, but I'll do it anyway just in case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWChywFF9eQ
 

AmdeBirhan

Newbie
Joined
Apr 5, 2009
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New Jersey
Mayber this needs to go in a tangent thread my Brother Salpy, (by the way thank you for sharing the chants, I read it and will look at the chanting of it soon come thanks)
    but about the way nature respond to the Lord Kristos, our beloved Meriegieta Afework told us how the trees used to bow to Him as He walked, as I had read that the trees bowed to give Him fruits for His Mother while sojourning in Egypt, and he also told how the river fled from Him (psalms 114) and he told of how the water leaped up at the Lord's Command and tyhat John didnt move the water actually baptising him with his hand.  Also let us recall how 'the stones would praise " Him if not the children.  Actually I now remember how in psalm 148 the whole creation sing His praise.
Amde
 

Salpy

Toumarches
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
14,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I guess that really is a common theme then among the OO Churches.  It's really beautiful.
 

_Seraphim_

High Elder
Joined
Jun 12, 2007
Messages
657
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
38
Location
Eugene, Oregon USA
Website
www.orthodoxmysteries.com
EkhristosAnesti said:
Wondering why it takes Copts over 5 minutes to chant two lines? Read here!  ;)

Awesome, EA.  Thanks!  :) 

I've been interested in Egyptian culture since I was very young.  It is wonderful to know more specifics about how the pre-Christian paganism of Egypt was baptized in to Christianity.
 

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
7,521
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Alveus Lacuna said:
Salpy said:
From a liturgy at a Malankara Orthodox church in Cleveland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13AMhmPuIfM
I really liked seeing this.  It reminded me of this other oriental liturgy that is is English.  I'm sure it has probably been posted on here already, but I'll do it anyway just in case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWChywFF9eQ
I love that video.
 

vasnTearn

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
192
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Armenia
From the Armenian liturgy at St James Cathedral, Jerusalem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6wNOelkL3U&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6wNOelkL3U&feature=player_embedded


The following is from the Armenian Liturgy served in Bethlehem, the cave where the Lord was born.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CBoOaSLPCE&feature=player_embedded


The videos are uploaded by Fr Ghevond Hovhannisyan, the dean of the Church of Holy Archangels, Jerusalem.

 

coptickev

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NY
vasnTearn said:
From the Armenian liturgy at St James Cathedral, Jerusalem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6wNOelkL3U&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6wNOelkL3U&feature=player_embedded


The following is from the Armenian Liturgy served in Bethlehem, the cave where the Lord was born.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CBoOaSLPCE&feature=player_embedded


The videos are uploaded by Fr Ghevond Hovhannisyan, the dean of the Church of Holy Archangels, Jerusalem.
Awesome videos. I have a question about the Bethlehem one. The plate with the bread that the Deacon is giving out, does that mean that only the Priest is receiving the Body and Blood, or is that the Communion for the people?
 

vasnTearn

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
192
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Armenia
coptickev said:
vasnTearn said:
From the Armenian liturgy at St James Cathedral, Jerusalem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6wNOelkL3U&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6wNOelkL3U&feature=player_embedded


The following is from the Armenian Liturgy served in Bethlehem, the cave where the Lord was born.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CBoOaSLPCE&feature=player_embedded


The videos are uploaded by Fr Ghevond Hovhannisyan, the dean of the Church of Holy Archangels, Jerusalem.
Awesome videos. I have a question about the Bethlehem one. The plate with the bread that the Deacon is giving out, does that mean that only the Priest is receiving the Body and Blood, or is that the Communion for the people?
I myself asked that question. It seems no one, except for the priest, had communion, even the clergy didn't partake... Strange. Maybe they had already had another Liturgy before that, that's why?????

I noticed that the second link I provided is the same with the first. It should've been the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5OUEoZXecU&feature=channel


 

deusveritasest

Taxiarches
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
7,521
Reaction score
0
Points
0
vasnTearn said:
From the Armenian liturgy at St James Cathedral, Jerusalem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6wNOelkL3U&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6wNOelkL3U&feature=player_embedded


The following is from the Armenian Liturgy served in Bethlehem, the cave where the Lord was born.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CBoOaSLPCE&feature=player_embedded


The videos are uploaded by Fr Ghevond Hovhannisyan, the dean of the Church of Holy Archangels, Jerusalem.
Awesome! I think the Armenian might be my favorite musical tradition of the OOC.
 

vasnTearn

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
192
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Armenia
Some more from the same Father's uploads (from this year's Easter services at the tomb of Our Lord Jesus Christ):


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVeyxfS5J_w&feature=channel

(in the above video you may see also the inside of the tomb or Kuvuklia)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-e2KLJ9f_g&NR=1


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYtpDQmvXoA&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3FpS0JF8ls&feature=channel
 

vasnTearn

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
192
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Armenia
A fresh video from Jerusalem. At 12.00  am of the first day of the new year (according to Julian Calendar) the seminarians in the yard of St James Monastery, Jerusalem, sing "Glory to God in the highest" ('Park i bartsuns Astutso' - in Armenian), then a Theophany hymn ("The Sun of Righteousness has been manifested").

Part I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmQCteuvMIM&feature=channel

Part II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCuEBDW2N_M&feature=channel

 

Papist

Toumarches
Joined
Aug 24, 2006
Messages
13,771
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
39
Location
Albuquerque, New Mexico
JawaMan said:
EkhristosAnesti said:
i'm going to create an esnips account and will commit myself to do my very best to upload at least a couple of good quality files (from the number of CD's i've obtained over the years) every week.
To quote Star Wars: "But my lord, is that legal?"
"I will make it legal."
 

vasnTearn

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
192
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Armenia
The blessed Theophany of our Lord Jesus Christ, celebrated in Bethlehem by the Armenians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgtu9T1EcCE&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSOzkx1uwyg&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TklibCAXQCc&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FGcpUxwEcA&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLCGQk0hBdg&feature=channel
 

Salpy

Toumarches
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
14,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
These videos you have been posting are amazing!  Thank you, VasnTearn.  Do you know the priest who has been recording them?
 

vasnTearn

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
192
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Armenia
Salpy said:
These videos you have been posting are amazing!  Thank you, VasnTearn.  Do you know the priest who has been recording them?
Yes, dear Salpy, I know him. He is a hieromonk, Fr Ghevond Hovhannisyan. Pls pray for him and for all the members of our Church there. They need our prayers very very much...

I'm glad you liked the videos :).
 

Salpy

Toumarches
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
14,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
It seems a new CD of Coptic hymns in English is being released for Lent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX5wwcdmzTc

http://www.orthodoxbookstore.org/
 

Orthodox11

Archon
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
2,994
Reaction score
0
Points
0
From the Coptic Liturgy of St. Basil the Great. I thought this priest had a particularly beautiful voice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGUNI_6vxCA&feature=channel

Greek: Holy, Holy Holy
Coptic: Holy, Holy, Holy, O Lord our God
Arabic: Who formed us, created us, and placed us in the paradise of joy. When you disobeyed Your commandment by the guile of the serpent, we fell from eternal life and were exiled from the paradise of joy. You have not abandoned us to the end, but have always visited us through Your holy prophets. And in the last days You did manifest Yourself to us, who were sitting in darkness and the shadows of death, through Your Only-Begotten Son, our Lord, God and Saviour Jesus Christ, Who, of the Holy Spirit and of the Holy Virgin Mary...

People: Amen

...was incarnate and became man, and taught us the ways of salvation. He granted us the birth from on high through water and Spirit. He made us unto Himself a congregation, and sanctified us by Your Holy Spirit. This is He Who loved His own who are in the world, and gave Himself up for our salvation unto death which reigned over us, whereby we were bound and sold on account of our sins. He descended into Hades through the Cross.

People: Amen. We believe

He rose from the dead on the third day. He ascended into the heavens and sat at Your right hand, O Father. He appointed a day for recompense, on which He will appear to judge the world in righteousness, and give each one according to his deeds.

People: According to Your mercy, O Lord, and not according to our sins.
 

Orthodox11

Archon
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
2,994
Reaction score
0
Points
0
minasoliman said:
EkhristosAnesti said:
My Favourite Coptic Nativity Hymn, E-Parthenos:
Is it true that this hymn was added recently by HH St. Pope Kyrillos VI?
This is the main Kontakion of the Nativity in the EO tradition. It is attributed to St. Romanos the Melodist, who lived after the schism of 451, so it seems quite likely that it was a recent addition to the Coptic tradition.
 
Joined
Aug 8, 2004
Messages
2,743
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Orthodox11 said:
From the Coptic Liturgy of St. Basil the Great. I thought this priest had a particularly beautiful voice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGUNI_6vxCA&feature=channel

Greek: Holy, Holy Holy
Coptic: Holy, Holy, Holy, O Lord our God
Arabic: Who formed us, created us, and placed us in the paradise of joy. When you disobeyed Your commandment by the guile of the serpent, we fell from eternal life and were exiled from the paradise of joy. You have not abandoned us to the end, but have always visited us through Your holy prophets. And in the last days You did manifest Yourself to us, who were sitting in darkness and the shadows of death, through Your Only-Begotten Son, our Lord, God and Saviour Jesus Christ, Who, of the Holy Spirit and of the Holy Virgin Mary...

People: Amen

...was incarnate and became man, and taught us the ways of salvation. He granted us the birth from on high through water and Spirit. He made us unto Himself a congregation, and sanctified us by Your Holy Spirit. This is He Who loved His own who are in the world, and gave Himself up for our salvation unto death which reigned over us, whereby we were bound and sold on account of our sins. He descended into Hades through the Cross.

People: Amen. We believe

He rose from the dead on the third day. He ascended into the heavens and sat at Your right hand, O Father. He appointed a day for recompense, on which He will appear to judge the world in righteousness, and give each one according to his deeds.

People: According to Your mercy, O Lord, and not according to our sins.
Nice find!
 

Salpy

Toumarches
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
14,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
The Monogenes, I think in Malayalam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjDhFp4E7N4
 

vasnTearn

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
192
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Armenia
Consecration of the waters of the River Jordan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKN7UGv7tyE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1_ChJNSD50&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgjPw12oiVk&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQk4WD8SInk&feature=player_embedded
 

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
16,485
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Age
38
Location
PA, USA
Salpy said:
The Monogenes, I think in Malayalam:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjDhFp4E7N4
Isn't this penned by St. Justinian, and therefore an EO hymn?
 

Orthodox11

Archon
Joined
Nov 10, 2006
Messages
2,994
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Iconodule said:
Isn't this penned by St. Justinian, and therefore an EO hymn?
There are traditions attributing it to Severos of Antioch. Read the description next to the youtube video, it explains this quite clearly.


That being said, the OO do not seem to have any problems with adopting EO liturgical influences at various points in history. The Nativity Kontakion of St. Romanos the Melodist mentioned above is one such example. There are numerous other examples, but O Monogenis is not one of them.
 

vasnTearn

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2009
Messages
192
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Armenia
"Monogenis" is a part of the Armenian Divine liturgy too and in one of the letters by an Armenian Father (of the 8th century, if I remember correctly) it is attributed to St Cyril of Alexandria. :)
 
Top