Oriental Orthodox Music

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,391
Reaction score
7
Points
38
Age
28
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Thank you mabsoota for the help :) My Arabic is very poor, I hope one day I mage to get into Arabic at university, that I would be able to communicate easily in this so beautiful language ;)

As I love Coptic hymns and songs for Kiahk, because it's full of Advent's (Nativity Fast) spirit, two another recordings with subitles in English and Arabic:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9B2VlP7BdE&feature=g-subs-u">Amdah fee Batoul (Praise the Virgin)
</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0myY0G0KY&feature=g-subs-u
">Aftah faya baltasabeeh (I open my mouth to praise)</a>



 

Suryoyutho

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2012
Messages
195
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Don't know if it has been posted before but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eOePzjT6Pc

Mani dakhwoth (Who is like me?) - Ancient Syriac hymn in honor of Virgin Mary
 

sheenj

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
1,429
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
28
Suryoyutho said:
Don't know if it has been posted before but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eOePzjT6Pc

Mani dakhwoth (Who is like me?) - Ancient Syriac hymn in honor of Virgin Mary
Suryoyutho, that was beautiful. When is this song usually sung? I've don't think I've heard the Malayalam equivalent before.
 

Suryoyutho

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2012
Messages
195
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Yes, it's awesome. It's a Christmas hymn (http://www.soc-wus.org/christmas%20page.htm , search "dakhwoth"). This particular version is from this album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2whgV8BiLg (starts at around :53).
 

Salpy

Toumarches
Joined
Jan 15, 2005
Messages
14,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPn4nCKTBec

Syriac Orthodox Christmas Hymns "Haw Dmalakhai"
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,391
Reaction score
7
Points
38
Age
28
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Salpy said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPn4nCKTBec

Syriac Orthodox Christmas Hymns "Haw Dmalakhai"
As far I know, the hymn varies dependind on the feast, becasue it's a part of an ritual called "Zuhuyo" - lifting of the thing typical for the particular feast e.g a palm for Palm Sunday, water for Epiphany etc.

So I wonder if the hymn you've posted is exactly for Christmas?...
 

sheenj

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
1,429
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
28
Dominika said:
Salpy said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPn4nCKTBec

Syriac Orthodox Christmas Hymns "Haw Dmalakhai"
As far I know, the hymn varies dependind on the feast, becasue it's a part of an ritual called "Zuhuyo" - lifting of the thing typical for the particular feast e.g a palm for Palm Sunday, water for Epiphany etc.

So I wonder if the hymn you've posted is exactly for Christmas?...
I'm not an expert on Syriac but I think the last line of the first three stanzas is "D'stlebt Metulothan, w'ethraham al'ain", which roughly means "Thou who was Crucified for us, have mercy on us." For Christmas, the practice in our Church is to sing "Thou who was Born/Incarnate for us, have mercy on us." I might be hearing it though. :/
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,391
Reaction score
7
Points
38
Age
28
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Maybe that's not exactly proper place, but there is a link for Coptic service of Laquan (blessing of the water) done on this year's Epiphany by the patriarch Tawadros.

In my EO parish the Great Blessing of water, which is done only on Epiphany, lasts 15-20 minutes and in Coptic church it is one and a half hours :eek:
 

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
20,198
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NJ
Found one for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt2v8YRgmxg

And then on to regular raising of incense and liturgical services:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnG1wxAviEk
 

mabsoota

Archon
Joined
Jan 7, 2011
Messages
2,859
Reaction score
0
Points
0
u beat me to it!
i failed to search in arabic.
i hope someone soon will subtitle this, so everyone will benefit.
:)

yes our service is longer coz we have lots of lovely Bible readings, then the actual blessing of the water, then the dabbing (to symbolise washing) of the feet (of all the men) or wrists (of all the women - due to cultural issues), and then we sing a bit and then people collect the holy water.
anyone who gets there a bit late (eg. me!) can beg a bit of holy water from the person next to them and add it to their bottle.

then, in many churches, we do the epiphany liturgy late at night instead of early in the morning.
so we have a 1.5 hr service followed by a 2.5 hr one!
:eek:
i think we're trying to do a longer service than the slavs!

but we don't throw ourselves in freezing cold blessed water in the extreme ascetic slavic practice, so i guess with that, you guys win the 'who is the most ascetic' contest!
;)
 

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
20,198
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NJ
I just did a youtube search on تواضروس and filtered it by only displaying videos posted in the last 24 hours.  :)
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,391
Reaction score
7
Points
38
Age
28
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
minasoliman said:
Found one for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt2v8YRgmxg

And then on to regular raising of incense and liturgical services:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnG1wxAviEk
Thank you, that's what I was thinking about ;)


mabsoota said:
yes our service is longer coz we have lots of lovely Bible readings, then the actual blessing of the water, then the dabbing (to symbolise washing) of the feet (of all the men) or wrists (of all the women - due to cultural issues), and then we sing a bit and then people collect the holy water.
anyone who gets there a bit late (eg. me!) can beg a bit of holy water from the person next to them and add it to their bottle.

then, in many churches, we do the epiphany liturgy late at night instead of early in the morning.
so we have a 1.5 hr service followed by a 2.5 hr one!
:eek:
i think we're trying to do a longer service than the slavs!

but we don't throw ourselves in freezing cold blessed water in the extreme ascetic slavic practice, so i guess with that, you guys win the 'who is the most ascetic' contest!
;)

Well, during the rite of the Great Blessing of the water we have 5 readings and some long prayers, but they're just said by preists, and a few hymns chanted (but you know, in Slavic practice it's done in fast way), and the priest immerse the cross in each basin 3 times, so probably in the content EO version is not so much shorter as Coptic one. And of course I haven't counted the time for collecting it, becasue it depends on the number of people. But there is no tradition of dabbing, washing or something like that ;)

Haha I liked "who is most ascetic conquest" ;D I wish one day I took bath in Jordan water (I mean after the blessing of the river), becasue in Warsaw there is no any possibility to do it :(

But I have to admit, that although Divine Liturgy with the Great blessing of the water lasts about 2.5 hour, in evening before (of course in Slavic practice, in Greek it's done in the morning on the day of Epiphany) we have All-Night Vigil which lasts 2 hours (in some parishes 30 minutes or even 1 hour more) ;)
 

Hiwot

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Messages
1,934
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
43
Location
USA
Dominika said:
Thank you mabsoota for the help :) My Arabic is very poor, I hope one day I mage to get into Arabic at university, that I would be able to communicate easily in this so beautiful language ;)

As I love Coptic hymns and songs for Kiahk, because it's full of Advent's (Nativity Fast) spirit, two another recordings with subitles in English and Arabic:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9B2VlP7BdE&feature=g-subs-u">Amdah fee Batoul (Praise the Virgin)
</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0myY0G0KY&feature=g-subs-u
">Aftah faya baltasabeeh (I open my mouth to praise)</a>
Beautiful Dominika, I too love them , listen to them often, they truly are beautiful :)  thank you dear.
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,391
Reaction score
7
Points
38
Age
28
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
<a href="http://www.sharakanner.blogspot.com">A blog with Armenian Orthodox hymns - sharakans</a>. The lyrics are only in Armenian, but due to Google Translator you find otu at least of which feast is the hymn. All of the hymns are links to youtube.


 

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
20,198
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NJ
Earlier, I mentioned a group, "CoptAcapella", of which my cousin is part of.  This is a website with lyrics and the production of songs they have made thus far.  These aren't liturgical in nature, just spiritual songs, which do come for the most part from the Coptic Church in the Arabic spiritual musical, more so than Coptic, translated into English.

Enjoy!

http://coptacapella.com/?cat=10
 

CoptoGeek

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 20, 2010
Messages
1,537
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Wow, this is beautiful.

Best Ethiopian Orthodox Mezmur by Zemari Mirtnesh Tilahun (Mar Mar alew)
http://youtu.be/b_ahmrW09go
 

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
4,417
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Zemarit Mirtinesh is my favorite, too. :) Though I have not heard so much with her that also has krar so prominently featured. It's kind of nice, I think, even though I get the sense that this instrument is not among the most liked for mezmur (maybe it's too closely associated with secular music; I don't know). Usually it's buried a bit more, like in this lovely mezmur by Zerfe Kebede (if it's even in there...I might be hearing things).

Yes, our Ethiopian brothers and sisters are blessed to have such heavenly music as part of their tradition. If I'm going to listen to paraliturgical music, I prefer Tewahedo mezmur to Coptic (well, Arabic) taraneem. Nothing against my own church, of course, it's just...well, you've heard Zemarit Mirtinesh!  ;D

Of course, there is some very powerful taraneem by Coptic ladies, too (don't much care for the likes of Ibrahim Ayad and Co. in this department, myself; sorry, dudes. Boles Malak is a little less annoying, I guess). It's just a different animal, I suppose.
 

Suryoyutho

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2012
Messages
195
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I posted this hymn before I think but this is different singer(s):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In6wRB7qn3Y

Gudo d'Mor Afrem - Malacho Men Selyo

The words are sung very clearly.
 
Top