• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Oriental Orthodox Picture of the Day

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
I like how it calls them a batch like they're cookies ;D

I really love the Ethiopian sense of color. This is a Church in Bermuda.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Volnutt said:
That's fairly common there.  I've heard it so much it doesn't register with me, but yeah.  We like cookie terms: batch, toll house, etc.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Volnutt said:

Heaven on earth. Have Ethiopians always had such a strong sense of iconodulia? It looks like a Byzantine Church in a sense.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Mor Ephrem said:
Volnutt said:
That's fairly common there.  I've heard it so much it doesn't register with me, but yeah.  We like cookie terms: batch, toll house, etc.
Lord, sprinkle me with the sweet chocolate chips of repentance.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
xOrthodox4Christx said:
Volnutt said:

Heaven on earth. Have Ethiopians always had such a strong sense of iconodulia? It looks like a Byzantine Church in a sense.
Every Ethiopian Church I've ever seen has had about as many icons, yeah.

Salpy

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
This is totally a sticky thread.  :)

Salpy

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
This photo was taken by Oshin D. Zakarian:

It's called "Darknight":

In a starry summer night of northern Iran near the border of Armenia, the lonely monastery of Dzordzor is photographed under the Milky Way. The monument which is a part of a group of Armenian monasteries in northwestern Iran, preserved as a World Heritage Site.
http://www.peopleofar.com/2012/08/11/darknight-by-oshin-d-zakarian/

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
I pray that ISIS never gets that far.

kelly

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Salpy, that picture is GORGEOUS. I'm saving that one. It made me think of Psalm 148:

3  O praise ye him, both sun and moon,
        praise him, all stars of light.
  4  Ye heav'ns of heav'ns him praise, and floods
        above the heavens' height.

xOrthodox4Christx

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Catholic Church
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Volnutt said:
I pray that ISIS never gets that far.
They've already gotten too far.

jobin219

Reaction score
Faith
Syriac Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Patriarch of Antioch and all the East

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
The sense of aesthetic coordination alone makes we wish I was Malankara

8) #swag

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Note that the entire Syriac Orthodox church uses those vestment and paraments designs these days; the purely Suroye congregations love them.  From what I understand it's a huge upgrade on the very plain vestments and paraments they had in the 18th century; there are reports of impoverished Syriac priests serving the liturgy barefoot as opposed to in the fine Indian-made liturgical slippers they use today, universally.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Well, nobody should have to go barefoot, but I can't deny you made me red in the face when I realized how much those "fine Indian slippers" must cost  :-[ :laugh:

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
I've seen the price list of Pulickal Brothers, which was one of the larger manufacturers of Syriac vestments and one of the most expensive.  A complete set of their vestments including slippers costs roughly half of what Krista West, American Church Supply or Liturgix charge for a complete set of Byzantine Rite vestments, which do not include liturgical slippers.  You're talking $350-$400 max vs. $650-$1200 for Byzantine Rite depending on wuality of fabric.  But occasionally you can buy a Byzantine set for $300 on eBay from a Ukrainian tailor.  But suffice it to say Syriac style vestments are very inexpensive given their quality and beauty, probably because they're made in Kerala with fairly low labor costs although certainly not in "sweatshops" but by loving and enthusiastic Christians.  But Krista West living in the US for example is a devout and pious Christian tailor and she makes beautiful vestments, but she has expensive bills to pay.  Freelance Orthodox tailors in the Ukraine or Syria are motivated by the same passion but have lower bills.

The only thing that can get really astronomically expensive are Byzantine style mitres, and their Coptic and Armenian equivalents.  You can get these on the cheap, but if you want a mitre with real jewells you can spend $30,000.  Just take a look at the Liturgix catalog.  Also pectoral crosses, pangias and so on can be very pricy, but again this depends on how much ecclesiastical "bling" you want.  But I consider that where charitable demand is urgent, these are good investments for the church, in that the jewells and gold appreciate in value, and in a later humanitarian crisis can be sold at a profit, replaced with cheaper vestments, and the difference used to care for the afflicted.

But if you want to see liturgical simplicity and poverty, the Eucharistic vestments of Coptic monks and priest monks are definitive.  A simple white robe in place of the black, with a white hood (Eskimo in Syriac, I can't recall what the Copts call them) with gold crosses on the side, and that's it.  At St. Anthonys the priest monks don't even wear special insignia.  And all Coptic priests celebrate the liturgy in their stocking feet or barefoot, the notion of the liturgical slipper didn't reach them.

So moving back on topic, can we have some nice photos of Coptic hieromonks?  A while back someone posted on OC.net Father Lazarus celebrating the liturgy in the Cave of St. Anthony, Id love to see that again, and it would also show Volnutt what I'm talking about.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
Oh, I've seen the documentary of Fr. Lazarus. He's a neat guy :) I feel bad for him with all the exposure he's gotten, he must get many unwanted visitors lol!

Thanks for the information!

Liturgix sounds like a crappy CCM band...

Brigidsboy

Elder
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Apostolic
Jurisdiction
Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem
A church I know had a really bad experience with Liturgix. Naos in Athens is now their preferred vendor.

CopticDeacon

High Elder
Reaction score
wgw said:
I've seen the price list of Pulickal Brothers, which was one of the larger manufacturers of Syriac vestments and one of the most expensive.  A complete set of their vestments including slippers costs roughly half of what Krista West, American Church Supply or Liturgix charge for a complete set of Byzantine Rite vestments, which do not include liturgical slippers.  You're talking $350-$400 max vs. $650-$1200 for Byzantine Rite depending on wuality of fabric.  But occasionally you can buy a Byzantine set for $300 on eBay from a Ukrainian tailor.  But suffice it to say Syriac style vestments are very inexpensive given their quality and beauty, probably because they're made in Kerala with fairly low labor costs although certainly not in "sweatshops" but by loving and enthusiastic Christians.  But Krista West living in the US for example is a devout and pious Christian tailor and she makes beautiful vestments, but she has expensive bills to pay.  Freelance Orthodox tailors in the Ukraine or Syria are motivated by the same passion but have lower bills.

The only thing that can get really astronomically expensive are Byzantine style mitres, and their Coptic and Armenian equivalents.  You can get these on the cheap, but if you want a mitre with real jewells you can spend $30,000.  Just take a look at the Liturgix catalog.  Also pectoral crosses, pangias and so on can be very pricy, but again this depends on how much ecclesiastical "bling" you want.  But I consider that where charitable demand is urgent, these are good investments for the church, in that the jewells and gold appreciate in value, and in a later humanitarian crisis can be sold at a profit, replaced with cheaper vestments, and the difference used to care for the afflicted.

But if you want to see liturgical simplicity and poverty, the Eucharistic vestments of Coptic monks and priest monks are definitive.  A simple white robe in place of the black, with a white hood (Eskimo in Syriac, I can't recall what the Copts call them) with gold crosses on the side, and that's it.  At St. Anthonys the priest monks don't even wear special insignia.  And all Coptic priests celebrate the liturgy in their stocking feet or barefoot, the notion of the liturgical slipper didn't reach them.

So moving back on topic, can we have some nice photos of Coptic hieromonks?  A while back someone posted on OC.net Father Lazarus celebrating the liturgy in the Cave of St. Anthony, Id love to see that again, and it would also show Volnutt what I'm talking about.
The Coptic Eskimo is called (in arabic) the "Qalansowa"

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
I've seen some in a white habit and some in yellow. Is there a difference in rank or order?

I'd never seen an Ethiopian nun before.

From the website: he actually met her in Shanandoah Park, Va. of all places!

While standing in line for a cup of hot chocolate for my very cold son while on our drive along Skyline drive, among the buzzing crowds of DC'ers out for the weekend, this very interesting, and still woman caught and held my eye. I spoke to her son (maybe just a relative, not sure) who told me a little bit about her. She is an Ethiopian Orthodox nun visiting the US for the first time. Not sure what being a nun in the old Orthodox Church (an oriental christian religion) entails, but this woman exuded an amazing inner peace.

She was apparently amazed by the trees. Not sure, but to see the amazing Fall foliage in Appalachia after living a long life in dry Ethiopia must border on a religious experience.

The restaurant was very dark, and unfortunately, this was the best I could do given the light.

I don't think I can paste pictures from here, but there's lots of pictures of Ethiopian monastics along with other religions.

Brigidsboy

Elder
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Apostolic
Jurisdiction
I guess the system has changed. I can't figure it out. Very frustrating.

Brigidsboy

Elder
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Apostolic
Jurisdiction
Sorry for the upload fails. This was my last attempt.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Coptic

jobin219

Reaction score
Faith
Syriac Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Patriarch of Antioch and all the East
Two icons of Mor Jacob of Serugh:

Salpy

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Feast of St. George at Lalibela:

http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Africa/Ethiopia/North/Amara/Lalibela/photo912005.htm

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
I've always wished Lalibela had retractable footbridges, so the faithful could, in between important services like these, meditatively walk across the great churches.  It seems to me like that might make a nice devotional practice.  But I know so little about the Ethiopian church for all I know they do that.  I just have to confess though if I ever visit Lalibela it looks like resisting the urge to try and leap across might be difficult.  At least until one reaches the precipice.  Then it would be easy.  :p

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Evangelical by default
Jurisdiction
Spiritually homeless
wgw said:
I've always wished Lalibela had retractable footbridges, so the faithful could, in between important services like these, meditatively walk across the great churches.  It seems to me like that might make a nice devotional practice.  But I know so little about the Ethiopian church for all I know they do that.  I just have to confess though if I ever visit Lalibela it looks like resisting the urge to try and leap across might be difficult.  At least until one reaches the precipice.  Then it would be easy.  :p
I had that thought too, lol!