Oriental Orthodox Picture of the Day

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
20,198
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
NJ
New Palm Sunday headgear:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwfpxWoFQV9/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1di4uhzx2qn2m

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwfr9BMFkfM/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1jic8q97syipq
 

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Joined
Oct 22, 2015
Messages
8,583
Reaction score
37
Points
48
Age
23
Location
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com

dhinuus

High Elder
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
688
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Full church in Qamishli, Syria for the wa'do da-lmeeno (also known as Naheere) service of Holy Week.
 

reclusivus

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 26, 2018
Messages
233
Reaction score
0
Points
0
dhinuus said:
Full church in Qamishli, Syria for the wa'do da-lmeeno (also known as Naheere) service of Holy Week.
Crowds usually make me sick and overwhelmed but I think that would be an actually calming place for me, it's probably the lighting.
 

CoptoGeek

OC.Net Guru
Joined
May 20, 2010
Messages
1,537
Reaction score
0
Points
0
A video presentation of so many amazing photos of Ethiopia's Churches, Monasteries and historical sites.

Ethiopian Empire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94zSvpYM1bs
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,458
Reaction score
51
Points
48
Age
28
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Alpha60 said:
dhinuus said:
Dominika said:
^^ Wow, great one. Is it ordination to priesthood?
Yes.  11 deacons being ordained to Priesthood.
Is that parish in the Middle East or the Suroye Diaspora, or is it an Indian parish?
They don't look Indian.
 

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Apr 29, 2015
Messages
5,694
Reaction score
68
Points
48
Age
37
Dominika said:
Alpha60 said:
dhinuus said:
Dominika said:
^^ Wow, great one. Is it ordination to priesthood?
Yes.  11 deacons being ordained to Priesthood.
Is that parish in the Middle East or the Suroye Diaspora, or is it an Indian parish?
They don't look Indian.
There are about 2,000 ethnicities in India.  Which one do you want them to look like?  ;D  :p
Their caps were throwing me off; I'd only ever seen Copts wear those.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,160
Reaction score
31
Points
48
Age
39
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Dominika said:
Alpha60 said:
dhinuus said:
Dominika said:
^^ Wow, great one. Is it ordination to priesthood?
Yes.  11 deacons being ordained to Priesthood.
Is that parish in the Middle East or the Suroye Diaspora, or is it an Indian parish?
They don't look Indian.
It’s from HH’s recent visit to Guatemala.  I hate his vestments, but that is a nice moment in the rite.
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,160
Reaction score
31
Points
48
Age
39
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Ainnir said:
Dominika said:
Alpha60 said:
dhinuus said:
Dominika said:
^^ Wow, great one. Is it ordination to priesthood?
Yes.  11 deacons being ordained to Priesthood.
Is that parish in the Middle East or the Suroye Diaspora, or is it an Indian parish?
They don't look Indian.
There are about 2,000 ethnicities in India.  Which one do you want them to look like?  ;D  :p
Their caps were throwing me off; I'd only ever seen Copts wear those.
“They got it from us.”  ;)
 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,458
Reaction score
51
Points
48
Age
28
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
Ainnir said:
Dominika said:
Alpha60 said:
dhinuus said:
Dominika said:
^^ Wow, great one. Is it ordination to priesthood?
Yes.  11 deacons being ordained to Priesthood.
Is that parish in the Middle East or the Suroye Diaspora, or is it an Indian parish?
They don't look Indian.
There are about 2,000 ethnicities in India.  Which one do you want them to look like?  ;D  :p
But Indian Orthodox are rather just of a few ethnicities and they're characterist - Mor, am I right?
 

Kurillos

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2019
Messages
39
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New York
The endogamous Knanaya minority within the Malankara community are reputed to look more middle eastern than the the rest of us, but it’s safe to say that none of the folks whose faces are visible in that pic are from Malankara.

On that note, Go Guatemalans!!
 

jobin219

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2010
Messages
152
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Mor Ephrem said:
Dominika said:
Alpha60 said:
dhinuus said:
Dominika said:
^^ Wow, great one. Is it ordination to priesthood?
Yes.  11 deacons being ordained to Priesthood.
Is that parish in the Middle East or the Suroye Diaspora, or is it an Indian parish?
They don't look Indian.
It’s from HH’s recent visit to Guatemala.  I hate his vestments, but that is a nice moment in the rite.
Why do you dislike the vestments of Mor Aphrem II?
 

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
36,160
Reaction score
31
Points
48
Age
39
Location
New York!
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
jobin219 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Dominika said:
Alpha60 said:
dhinuus said:
Dominika said:
^^ Wow, great one. Is it ordination to priesthood?
Yes.  11 deacons being ordained to Priesthood.
Is that parish in the Middle East or the Suroye Diaspora, or is it an Indian parish?
They don't look Indian.
It’s from HH’s recent visit to Guatemala.  I hate his vestments, but that is a nice moment in the rite.
Why do you dislike the vestments of Mor Aphrem II?
I’m not a big fan of the trend of using sari material for vestments because very few examples don’t look gaudy.  This is not one of those exceptions. 
 

jobin219

Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2010
Messages
152
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Mor Ephrem said:
jobin219 said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Dominika said:
Alpha60 said:
dhinuus said:
Dominika said:
^^ Wow, great one. Is it ordination to priesthood?
Yes.  11 deacons being ordained to Priesthood.
Is that parish in the Middle East or the Suroye Diaspora, or is it an Indian parish?
They don't look Indian.
It’s from HH’s recent visit to Guatemala.  I hate his vestments, but that is a nice moment in the rite.
Why do you dislike the vestments of Mor Aphrem II?
I’m not a big fan of the trend of using sari material for vestments because very few examples don’t look gaudy.  This is not one of those exceptions.
Ah okay, yeah I tend to agree with the sentiment, but I've seen a few examples which I really like.
 

dhinuus

High Elder
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
688
Reaction score
0
Points
0
One of the lighter moments from the Ordination of two deacons to priesthood in Belgium. The Patriarch is struggling to find any hair from the balding deacon's head to cut  as part of the ordination rite.

 

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
7,458
Reaction score
51
Points
48
Age
28
Location
Poland
Website
www.youtube.com
I mean mainly icon - I think it's first time I've seen Coptic icon of crucifixion showing Christ in vestments; I've seen such Latin and Byzantine ones.

 
Top