Orthodox Christian View of Harry Potter

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
RaphaCam said:
I really wish Cyprian700 was here.
Mor Ephrem said:
Harry Potter was always pure satanism.  So sad to see so many deluded so thoroughly.
Who needs Cyprian700 when we have Mor?

Svartzorn

High Elder
Reaction score
It's just a little series with liberal ideas drawn into its characthers. I enjoyed reading it as a teenager and I would still probably would.
But it always sounded to me like a watered down Tolkien.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Svartzorn said:
It's just a little series with liberal ideas drawn into its characthers. I enjoyed reading it as a teenager and I would still probably would.
Liberal ideas like friendship, sacrifice, race equality?

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
mike said:
Svartzorn said:
Liberal ideas like race equality?
Not hard when all your characters are White. But don't they enslave elves, or something?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
A very entertaining article on the politics of Harry Potter: https://samkriss.wordpress.com/2016/09/13/jk-rowling-and-the-cauldron-of-discourse/

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
mike said:
Svartzorn said:
Not hard when all your characters are White.
Hardly.

Porter ODoran said:
But don't they enslave elves, or something?
The wizard-muggle tension is even more important than that.

Svartzorn

High Elder
Reaction score
mike said:
Svartzorn said:
Liberal ideas like (...) race equality?
Yeah.

Svartzorn

High Elder
Reaction score
But it doesn't make much sense since the difference between wizards and muggles is not explained very clearly.
Apparently muggles can be just as good as wizards in magic if they are to be instructed, so what makes the wizards different, and what's up with the blood thing?
Fortunately human differences are more obvious, even more some people like to pretend they're make believe.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Svartzorn said:
Apparently muggles can be just as good as wizards in magic if they are to be instructed, so what makes the wizards different, and what's up with the blood thing?
Wizarding ability is innate. Muggles can't become wizards by instruction. Either you have it or you don't. Even wizarding families get the odd Squib (non-magical member). Mr Filch's frustration at his lack of progress in his course is telling enough.

The whole blood purity that Voldemort and his cronies advocate, of course, is lifted whole cloth off miscegenation laws.

Svartzorn

High Elder
Reaction score
He didn't seem to bother all that much. In fact, Snape seemed to take some pride from it (the Half-blood Prince).
But I didn't read the 7th book, so I'm kindda in the dark I always thought Hermione was a muggle who had done good for herself, buuuuut apparently she wasn't.
Still, I don't like how they make Voldemort to be this evil personification of raaaaciiism (boo) and how evil racists are always the same.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
seekeroftruth777 said:
St. Anthony's Monastery in Arizona had a book, now out of print that not too favorable towards Harry Potter. It's called "Harry Potter -truth about the story" or something along those lines. Somehow some on here will probably dismiss it though.
It is "Innocent Fun or Insidious Threat?" It is produced by the Orthodox Missionary Brotherhood of St Poemen.

And with a title like that, I think you already know the book's conclusion. ;)

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Svartzorn said:
mike said:
Svartzorn said:
Yeah.
So edgy.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Porter ODoran said:
mike said:
Svartzorn said:
Hardly.
White and Ginger?

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Antonis said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
St. Anthony's Monastery in Arizona had a book, now out of print that not too favorable towards Harry Potter. It's called "Harry Potter -truth about the story" or something along those lines. Somehow some on here will probably dismiss it though.
It is "Innocent Fun or Insidious Threat?" It is produced by the Orthodox Missionary Brotherhood of St Poemen.

And with a title like that, I think you already know the book's conclusion. ;)
So pleasant of them to come out in the title already proclaiming it innocent fun ...

Svartzorn

High Elder
Reaction score
Antonis said:
Svartzorn said:
mike said:
Svartzorn said:
Yeah.
So edgy.
You forgot your meme:

Fortunately this picture of a black guy will render me less edgy and kewl.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Svartzorn said:
He didn't seem to bother all that much. In fact, Snape seemed to take some pride from it (the Half-blood Prince).
But I didn't read the 7th book, so I'm kindda in the dark I always thought Hermione was a muggle who had done good for herself, buuuuut apparently she wasn't.
Still, I don't like how they make Voldemort to be this evil personification of raaaaciiism (boo) and how evil racists are always the same.
Voldemort is a half-blood himself, and hates himself for it. Hermione is Muggle-born, hence the Malfoys' scorn for her, but she's definitely a witch, or she wouldn't be in Hogwarts.

'My pedigree is better than your pedigree' clashes exist throughout history in all cultures, whether race (as understood in modern racism) comes in or not. In a culture where a crucial ability is largely hereditary, it is naive to think the issue wouldn't or shouldn't come up.

Pure-blood supremacy

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Porter ODoran said:
Arachne said:
Porter ODoran said:
mike said:
Svartzorn said:
Hardly.
White and Ginger?
And Black, and Asian, and Oriental, and plenty of unspecifieds.