Orthodox Christian View of Harry Potter

Svartzorn

High Elder
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Svartzorn said:
He didn't seem to bother all that much. In fact, Snape seemed to take some pride from it (the Half-blood Prince).
But I didn't read the 7th book, so I'm kindda in the dark I always thought Hermione was a muggle who had done good for herself, buuuuut apparently she wasn't.
Still, I don't like how they make Voldemort to be this evil personification of raaaaciiism (boo) and how evil racists are always the same.
Voldemort is a half-blood himself, and hates himself for it. Hermione is Muggle-born, hence the Malfoys' scorn for her, but she's definitely a witch, or she wouldn't be in Hogwarts.

'My pedigree is better than your pedigree' clashes exist throughout history in all cultures, whether race (as understood in modern racism) comes in or not. In a culture where a crucial ability is largely hereditary, it is naive to think the issue wouldn't or shouldn't come up.

Pure-blood supremacy
I just don't like how people discuss this matter nowadays and how some positions get stereotyped because they're "racist". Harry Potter is a part of it, that's my two cents on the matter.
Still, as I said, I would read the books and consider them to be good. It's not your Alexander Dumas or your Dostoyevsky, but does the job for entertainment. And all the fuss about satanism is just plain retarded.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dumas was the Dan Brown of his time. No kidding.

Porter ODoran

Toumarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Dumas was the Dan Brown of his time. No kidding.
Nobody but Dan Brown deserves to be called the Dan Brown of any time. Such mind-numbing page-grinding, such rudimentary syntax, yet combined with such promiscuous invention don't come along every day.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
"The Hidden Key to Harry Potter: Understanding the Meaning, Genius, and Popularity of Joanne Rowling's Harry Potter Novels" by John Granger who is Orthodox. I've not read his book, but in the link there is a description of it.

I also remember that the website of my parish has posted once a defence of Harry Potter.

And, personally, I really like it, and don'w know why there are still discussions about this book. I think vampires are much worse (despite the fact I like animation Hotel Transylvania).

PrelestWatch

Post Moderated
Reaction score
I despise it because Rowling is a terrible example of a Christian. She doesn't care about evangelism or good theology, she just cares about pleasing her fanbase and the worldly culture. Stop comparing her to Lewis and Tolkien. They were much more learned on these matters and more discerning and smart in how they portrayed magic and constructed their universe in terms of good vs. evil. Rowling wanted her character to be gay to follow current trends. When she said Dumbledore was a homosexual, I knew from the beginning that she was being a people-pleaser. Fans, claiming to be Christian, who previously defended the paganism, said she never claimed he was a practicing homosexual, but judging by her statements in public, I seriously doubt she cares and probably will have more practicing homosexuals in future works. She has already alluded to the idea of universalism by being proud of how many religions the students of Hogwarts practice. Christians are basically expecting too much from her. Lewis and Tolkien would not have been so low-key or lax about their moral and spiritual position as she has been. Madeleine L'engle was also a heretic and in some ways more overt about it than Rowling. I wouldn't support Harry Potter for this reason. Or Wrinkle in Time.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No one in their right mind looks to writers of popular fiction for theological insight. Before the internet, you could read all of a writer's books and still know next to nothing about their lives - and you wouldn't care.

Hogwarts (and the wizarding world in general, as it has been expanding) is a microcosm of British society, just with everyone around being magical people. There will be POC folk, there will be LGBTQ+ folk, there will be other religions. Nothing to get all worked up over.

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
Arachne said:
No one in their right mind looks to writers of popular fiction for theological insight.
I mean, some of us do. While not all Christian novelists have been C.S. Lewis, many of them have written very interesting and insightful things about religion. Rudyard Kipling, Orson Scott Card, J.R.R. Tolkein, Vox Day, and A.N. Wilson, off the top of my head.

But no one's ever accused me of being in the right mind, so...

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
platypus said:
Arachne said:
No one in their right mind looks to writers of popular fiction for theological insight.
I mean, some of us do. While not all Christian novelists have been C.S. Lewis, many of them have written very interesting and insightful things about religion. Rudyard Kipling, Orson Scott Card, J.R.R. Tolkein, Vox Day, and A.N. Wilson, off the top of my head.

But no one's ever accused me of being in the right mind, so...
I wouldn't bother with religious insights from white supremacists, but that's just me.

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
It was fun, exciting and well written ~ well packaged ~ she Rollings did well ~ though muslims, some Christians think this bad, even evil ~ I wonder if they've read all or any of these books ```

platypus

High Elder
Reaction score
Arachne said:
I wouldn't bother with religious insights from white supremacists, but that's just me.
I've never had the opportunity, but I'll admit I'd be pretty curious what sort of religion they adhere to.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sethrak said:
Spider ~ Don't let yourself be warned again about Staying On Topic ~ and away from politics ~ Rule #43566890132123```
Don't let yourself be warned for playing moderator. That would be a new addition to your collection.~Arachne

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Arachne said:
Before the internet, you could read all of a writer's books and still know next to nothing about their lives - and you wouldn't care.
So true!  As well as authors, I remember this "non-phenomenon" with regards to popular music.  As a kid, if I had wanted to find out more about my favourite musicians, I would have had to ask a parental figure to drive me to a newsstand that sold the NME or Rolling Stone or whatever, but I never thought of doing this.  And anyway, (unless in some cases  I'd gone to a good research library), I would not have found out a tenth of what one can find out nowadays about a particular artist/author online.  Instead, I just sat in my provincial corner of the world and thought adulatory thoughts about my preferred geniuses. ;)

hecma925

Stratopedarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
No one in their right mind looks to writers of popular fiction for theological insight. Before the internet, you could read all of a writer's books and still know next to nothing about their lives - and you wouldn't care.

Hogwarts (and the wizarding world in general, as it has been expanding) is a microcosm of British society, just with everyone around being magical people. There will be POC folk, there will be LGBTQ+ folk, there will be other religions. Nothing to get all worked up over.
I missed that there were Polish Orthodox characters in Harry Potter.