• Christ is Risen!
  • Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Orthodox Christianity and abstract art

LucianNae

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Romania
(this is a slightly altered copy of a thread I posted on another Christian multidenominational online forums some time ago)

Does abstract art (particularly painting, sculpture, photography & filmography) have any place in the life of an Orthodox Christian? Is it a sin to create and sell abstract art? Most art depicted in the Bible (as far as I remember) was inspired by God's creation (cherubs, pomegranates in the Temple, for example). Maybe I might be overlooking something, but I can't recall anything abstract being mentioned as art in the Bible.

I've been led to wonder whether abstract art is just another way in which satan twists and perverts God's creation. While researching this topic on the internet, I've come across this video of this professor of Christian studies named Jerram Barrs which seems to support abstract art:

What are your thoughts on the matter? Do you think abstract art can glorify God in any direct way?

Konstantin Antonov

Iconographer
Reaction score
Website
drev-obraz.ru
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of Moscow
(this is a slightly altered copy of a thread I posted on another Christian multidenominational online forums some time ago)

Does abstract art (particularly painting, sculpture, photography & filmography) have any place in the life of an Orthodox Christian? Is it a sin to create and sell abstract art? Most art depicted in the Bible (as far as I remember) was inspired by God's creation (cherubs, pomegranates in the Temple, for example). Maybe I might be overlooking something, but I can't recall anything abstract being mentioned as art in the Bible.

I've been led to wonder whether abstract art is just another way in which satan twists and perverts God's creation. While researching this topic on the internet, I've come across this video of this professor of Christian studies named Jerram Barrs which seems to support abstract art:

What are your thoughts on the matter? Do you think abstract art can glorify God in any direct way?
God is glorified by everything that is alive, natural, and brought from the heart. God does not need the pathetic human arts expressed through abstraction.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Abstract art is an intentional destruction of the representation of the natural or of beauty. I hate it.

Stinky

Mess
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
Orthodox Arts Journal
Fr. Silouan Justiniano
" The Pictoral Metaphysics of the Icon: Abstraction vs Naturalism Reconsidered"