• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Orthodox Christians and Tattoos

Is it proper for an Orthodox Christian to get a tattoo?

• It's fine, nothing wrong with it.

Votes: 55 24.7%
  • They can if they want, but I wouldn't.

Votes: 32 14.3%
  • Only in some circumstances.

Votes: 31 13.9%
  • I don't think it's proper, no.

Votes: 41 18.4%
  • It is absolutely, positively sinful!

Votes: 17 7.6%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 43 19.3%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Thinkin about getting the ark of salvation across my upper back

with all the heretics throughout history spread across my mid-back (I have substantial room available)

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Full color?  That would be an amazing piece.  Don't be alarmed if an old calendarist venerates your back.

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Faith
Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
This is a really cool Orthodox tattoo company:

https://www.facebook.com/RazzoukInk/

From their page:

FOR MORE THAN 700 YEARS, tattooing has been the profession of countless generations of Razzouk family members. This Coptic Christian family originated in Egypt but in the eighteenth century an ancestor named Jersuis, a Coptic priest, brought the art he had learned from his forefathers to Palestine and later Jerusalem about 1750.

In the Coptic and other Eastern Christian communities (Ethiopian, Armenian, Syrian, Maronite, Kildanian, etc.), tattooing has long functioned to mark one’s pilgrimage to the Holy Land, among other things. For example, a small cross placed on the inside of the wrist granted religious pilgrims access to churches and other sacred places. Virgin girls often chose Annunciation designs to increase their chances of bearing children, and in this context these designs worked as fertility symbols rather than devotional marks. But the act of tattooing oneself also brought one closer to God; it was an outpouring of blood and could be identified with the sufferings of Christ on the Cross.

The current custodian of the art and the successor of the family tradition is Wassim Razzouk , the 27th generation.

Here's some of their work:

Selam

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Volnutt said:
Asteriktos said:
hecma925 said:
Asteriktos said:
hecma925 said:
Going to get knuckle tattoos.  "SOUL" on the right and "BODY" on the left.
You are not far from the kingdom of God!
It will help with pre-communion prayers and as a reminder to cross my arms right over left when going to receive.
Also, when we get a blessing and kiss the hand of the clergyman, and put our right hand over our left, these tats would serve as an acknowledgement that our soul is within our body, refuting with brilliant simplicty the new-age-y idea of the soul floating around willy nilly. I had thought that my next tattoo would be the word "NOUS" placed at the base of my neck, but you have me rethinking things!
Alpha'd!
The only form of tatoos supported by Alpha 60 are the small Greek crosses discretely tatooed on the wrists of Coptic children and Copts im general in order to identify them as Christians and discourage or prevent apostasy in the event they are stolen by Muslims in youth, or tempted to Islam in adulthood.  Bosnian Catholics apparently have a similiar practice, for similiar reasons.  A ROCOR priest who I otherwise admire, in a rare moment of disagreeability, said “It’s instructive to note that Orthodox Christians in those places know no such custom;” I of course bitterly resent the fact he did not include the qualifier “Eastern.”  I would also observe in the case of Egypt the remaining population of Alexandrian Greek Orthodox is tragically small; even their current Patriarch is from Crete, and I wouldn’t be at all suprised to find Alexandrian Greek Orthodox with cross tatoos, since the Alexandrian and Coptic churches have reached ecumenical agreements concerning intermarriage and intercommunion.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
The chain for my cross broke.  I feel naked without it.  If only I had a cross tattooed on my chest surrounded by "Let God Arise..." around it.  Then I would feel better.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
A good tattoo, because Christ's two feet are not pierced with one nail like the Latinist crucifix.  A-ok with the Elder!

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
hecma925 said:
The chain for my cross broke.  I feel naked without it.  If only I had a cross tattooed on my chest surrounded by "Let God Arise..." around it.  Then I would feel better.
Get a Coptic cross, non metallic, with a cord.  I switched to one a long time ago due to skin irritation from the metal.  Also it becomes a conversation piece as an object of instant shared affinity with Coptic Christians, who tend to be rather loving.  And should the need to arise to visit some Assyrians, you can easily slip it beneath your undershirt before saying “Shlama!”

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Alpha60 said:
hecma925 said:
Get a Coptic cross, non metallic, with a cord.  I switched to one a long time ago due to skin irritation from the metal.  Also it becomes a conversation piece as an object of instant shared affinity with Coptic Christians, who tend to be rather loving.  And should the need to arise to visit some Assyrians, you can easily slip it beneath your undershirt before saying “Shlama!”
I started wearing Great Schema hoodies from Uncut Mountain Supply (check my unboxing video on Insta and YT), so just as good.  Schemamonks high-five me all the time.

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Salve Regina
Jurisdiction
La Virgin de Cobre
hecma925 said:
Alpha60 said:
hecma925 said:
I started wearing Great Schema hoodies from Uncut Mountain Supply (check my unboxing video on Insta and YT), so just as good.  Schemamonks high-five me all the time.
I had a very talented artist tattoo a realistic full rasson and belt so that, first, I can be comfortably naked anywhere while appearing clothed, and second, as a conversation piece to get more people to discuss orthodoxy with me. I chose the rasson out of humility.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Agabus said:
hecma925 said:
Alpha60 said:
hecma925 said:
I had a very talented artist tattoo a realistic full rasson and belt so that, first, I can be comfortably naked anywhere while appearing clothed, and second, as a conversation piece to get more people to discuss orthodoxy with me. I chose the rasson out of humility.
Must have been many sessions.  I thought my St. Onufry leaves tattoo around my pelvis (for the same reasons as you, comfort in nakedness) took a while.  You, sir,  are more humble.  I doff my cap in your general direction!

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
Here, in Lebanon, I've seen at least a few Orthodox (including one woman) with tatoos: cross, prayer rope...

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Dominika said:
Here, in Lebanon, I've seen at least a few Orthodox (including one woman) with tatoos: cross, prayer rope...
That strikes me as particularly odd...

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Ainnir said:
Dominika said:
I know a lot of Latinists with rosary tattoos.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
hecma925 said:
Ainnir said:
Dominika said:
Also odd.  How do you keep track? ???

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Ainnir said:
hecma925 said:
Ainnir said:
Dominika said:
Of what?

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
hecma925 said:
Ainnir said:
hecma925 said:
Ainnir said:
Dominika said:
Of what?
The beads/knots/prayers.  Isn't that the point of prayer ropes and rosaries--to physically keep track of your prayers?  Maybe I'm crossing my wires...

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Salve Regina
Jurisdiction
La Virgin de Cobre
Ainnir said:
hecma925 said:
Ainnir said:
Dominika said:
Put your finger on the bead?

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Asteriktos said:
Thinkin about getting the ark of salvation across my upper back

with all the heretics throughout history spread across my mid-back (I have substantial room available)
Thats a heretical icon. It depicts the EP on the lower right. Are you an old calandarist?

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Tzimis said:
Thats a heretical icon. It depicts the EP on the lower right. Are you an old calandarist?
You have to admit, the people on land have the cooler fantasy going on...

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Ainnir said:
hecma925 said:
Ainnir said:
hecma925 said:
Ainnir said:
Dominika said:
Of what?
The beads/knots/prayers.  Isn't that the point of prayer ropes and rosaries--to physically keep track of your prayers?  Maybe I'm crossing my wires...
The point of having a rosary tattoo is to show people.  Even my real prayer rope is to show people.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Mor Ephrem said:
Tzimis said:
How do you know that’s the EP?
This is a old calendar icon that was circulating around. That depicts the the EP Athenagoras I for lifting the anathema againt the RCC and is accused of ecumenism. The pope along with who looks like Martin Luther is next to him.

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Asteriktos said:
Tzimis said:
You have to admit, the people on land have the cooler fantasy going on...
I prefer land over sea any day. If we were ment to be in water im sure we would have gills.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Tzimis said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Tzimis said:
This is a old calendar icon that was circulating around. That depicts the the EP Athenagoras I for lifting the anathema againt the RCC and is accused of ecumenism. The pope along with who looks like Martin Luther is next to him.
My understanding is that, due to the pointy hat, what you think is the EP is actually a random Armenian bishop representing "Monophysites". 

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Ainnir said:
Dominika said:
Lebanon is very divided by religions and denominations. Many Lebanese by clothing, decorations, texts on their cars, motors, lorries etc. highlight their religion/denomination. Tattoo of prayer rope is such way.

Some time ago I saw there and - thanks God, ddn't burst ouf of laughing - a (cement or trash) lorry with written fragment from the Matins "O Mother of the Light" with cross and cedres on the right and left of it.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Dominika said:
Ainnir said:
Dominika said:
Lebanon is very divided by religions and denominations. Many Lebanese by clothing, decorations, texts on their cars, motors, lorries etc. highlight their religion/denomination. Tattoo of prayer rope is such way.

Some time ago I saw there and - thanks God, ddn't burst ouf of laughing - a (cement or trash) lorry with written fragment from the Matins "O Mother of the Light" with cross and cedres on the right and left of it.
Did it say, "Let us magnify in song" on the other side in red and green?

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
^^ I haven't seen the other side, only the back but... I wouldn't be surprised.  :laugh:

Tzimis

Taxiarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EP
Mor Ephrem said:
Tzimis said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Tzimis said:
My understanding is that, due to the pointy hat, what you think is the EP is actually a random Armenian bishop representing "Monophysites".
The EP is in front of the red demon.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Tzimis said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Tzimis said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Tzimis said:
The EP is in front of the red demon.
If that’s really the EP, I’m sure he earned it.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Wow, ZZ!  How long did that piece take?  A very Sailor Jerry-esque eagle.

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
Maybe tattoos in some decades will be seen the same way we see fake polo necks and mullets today.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Faith
-
Jurisdiction
-
Yah they've been popular for 5,000 years now, you have to wonder when the fad it going to end!

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
Asteriktos said:
Yah they've been popular for 5,000 years now, you have to wonder when the fad it going to end!

Among westerners? Not at all, tattoos are old and aren't fads for maoris, copts, sailors, russian and japanese gangsters, prison inmates...but for the average westerner it is indeed a fad.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Ötzi is such a hipster just floating with the pop culture current like a dead fish.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2015/01/30/scientists-mapped-otzi-icemans-61-tattoos/#.XEB5fR5lA0M

juliogb

High Elder
Reaction score
Otzi is a tribesman dude from a hunter gatherer society, it is a completely diferent context, he didn't make tattoos for a fashion statement or something like that, you are distorting what I mean here, or I am too bad making myself clear. Tattoos for a long time in western christian history, were a body mark related to tribal societies, sailors, prison inmates, gangsters and marginalized groups, ask the elderly if tattoos were widely accepted as today, it wasnt, it wasn't trendy nor socially acceptable, still today, people with too many tattoos have a hard time being employed in certain jobs (banks, realestate agents and stuff like that). I am not talking about hunter gatherers, nor warring tribes from the pacific islands, for them, tattoos have a completely diferent meaning and social role than of modern societies.