• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Orthodox Dating

mctaviix

High Elder
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
809
Reaction score
0
Points
0
A thousand pardons if this is not the correct forum for this discussion.

I have heard that it is a common in the tradition of Orthodoxy to be set up by your priest or something of that nature.  Granted, it is highly probable that I am blatantly wrong, however, is this something that is common? 


P.S. I'm not a desperate man or something, I just was curious as I live in a highly Catholic population...although I'm sure the Lord would help me convince "the one" to come over to the winning team.  ;D
 

Simayan

High Elder
Site Supporter
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
816
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
32
Location
Portland, Maine
While my priest DID attempt to set me up once (Lol), it hasn't happened since, and I'm not sure how common it is.

IMO, date whomever and worry about the conversation later.  :D
 

mctaviix

High Elder
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
809
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Thank you for giving me some peace of mind Simayan!!  :laugh: :)
 

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Joined
Dec 20, 2005
Messages
3,535
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
34
Location
Alberta, Canada
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Moscow Patriarchate
Heorhij said:
Date who you like, hope you will find your true love! And then your priest will bless your marriage. That's his only role. Any other things are none of his business.
I disagree. Your priest is responsible for your spiritual welfare, and who you date is a part of that. You are not forced to follow his guidance, but to claim that it is not his business, is inaccurate.
 

mersch

Elder
Joined
Mar 6, 2009
Messages
252
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
61
Location
kansas city metro area
Faith
Christian
I'm going to go on a few assumptions here. You're probably younger (than me), and have never been married before( which is a good thing). Don't rush it, talk to your spiritual father about things when you do find someone whom you would like to be "the one".  If you think you found the "one", and love them madly, remember, love is an ACTION verb till death do you part, or should be. Those mushy feelings can get in the way of action, which must be done every day, every minute. Those mushy feelings can dipensate over time.  Are you willing to water where you decided to plant, the grass isn't always greener on the other side, ( usually if it is, someone isn't "watering"- praying, doing, acting, talking, showing). Do not be in a hurry, seek God first and always, it will save a lot of brown patches in the future, understand that now, not try to understand after you've found the "one".  Are you now watering you're family relationships now? Even that mean old uncle? cousin? neighbor? brother? sister? Mother? Father? And on and on?Is God first in your life before everything else? If not, then it can make things difficult later down the road. Just my 2 cents, (from how not to do it, but then I seem to learn things the hard way sometimes, wish I had listened and acted upon what  I had heard early on.)
 

mctaviix

High Elder
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
809
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Thanks mersch.  You make really good points.  Wanting a spiritual life in this era makes dating quite difficult.  Sure, being attracted to someone and even having a good report feels good, but deep down if they have no interest in matters of faith it will be fruitless.  The closer I get to Orthodoxy, the closer I feel to God and the easier it is to trust in him.  Finding a love is very important and can deeply affect ones spirituality. 

P.S.  I HATE saying "the one"...but I couldn't think of a better word at the time.  :laugh:
 

Catherine

Elder
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
453
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Ukiemeister said:
Heorhij said:
Date who you like, hope you will find your true love! And then your priest will bless your marriage. That's his only role. Any other things are none of his business.
I disagree. Your priest is responsible for your spiritual welfare, and who you date is a part of that. You are not forced to follow his guidance, but to claim that it is not his business, is inaccurate.
This makes sense to me. . my priest is not only my priest, but my trustworthy friend - this is not unusual, surely?
 

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Messages
16,768
Reaction score
801
Points
113
Location
Detroit
Website
uocofusa.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
I actually have gotten "set up" by a couple of different priests.  Unfortunately, neither gentleman was "the one".

Since we don't have a "baba network" where all the elderly women know of all the eligible people....we turned to the priest.

After all, he knows the parishioners better than anyone.  He knows you.  He knows what you are like, and he knows who else is not only single, but, what that person is like.  He can "guess-timate" if they might be a match.

If he knows you are an outdoors person, he would suggest someone he knows likes to go camping, etc.

I trust my priest enough to know that if he thought that gentleman was a "match", I could at least go out with him and not be so unsure of what I was getting.

Needless to say, the priest is not just their to perform the marriage ceremony.  He is there to advise you on every step of your life.

Remember, he hears your confessions, and therefore, knows you even better than your own mother.
;)

 

Schultz

Taxiarches
Joined
Oct 17, 2002
Messages
6,698
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
47
Location
BaltiCORE, MD
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Heorhij said:
Date who you like, hope you will find your true love! And then your priest will bless your marriage. That's his only role. Any other things are none of his business.
I think this largely has to do with the relationship one has with one's priest.  If the man is cold and distant to you, then yes, it probably is none of his business to a large degree.  However, if one has a close relationship with one's priest and one chooses to find a mate within the  limits of one's own parish family, then it most certainly can be his business.  It might not be de facto his business, but I would not go so far to say that marrying people is his only role.
 

LBK

Toumarches
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
13,659
Reaction score
11
Points
38
Faith
Orthodox
To be honest, having had lifelong experience in both Greek and Slavic "flavors" of Orthodoxy, over several parishes, I've yet to come across too many (any?) instances of a priest acting as some sort of matchmaker. In my considerable life, I've come to the firm conclusion that there is such a thing as fate/act of God/act of the Mother of God which leads two people to get together, marry, and live a happy life together. I could relate some of these instances (including my own situation, and those of several family members), but space and time does not permit.
 

Ortho_cat

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 29, 2009
Messages
5,392
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Age
40
Location
Wichita, KS
mctaviix said:
...

I have heard that it is a common in the tradition of Orthodoxy to be set up by your priest or something of that nature.  Granted, it is highly probable that I am blatantly wrong, however, is this something that is common? 

...
Nice! I haven't heard that... ;D
 

katherineofdixie

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
3,719
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
the South, thanks be to God
LBK said:
To be honest, having had lifelong experience in both Greek and Slavic "flavors" of Orthodoxy, over several parishes, I've yet to come across too many (any?) instances of a priest acting as some sort of matchmaker. In my considerable life, I've come to the firm conclusion that there is such a thing as fate/act of God/act of the Mother of God which leads two people to get together, marry, and live a happy life together. I could relate some of these instances (including my own situation, and those of several family members), but space and time does not permit.
I know several priests and at least one bishop, both GOA and OCA, who have told me that they consider it part of their ministry to the Faithful to introduce people who they think might have something in common or who would enjoy each other's company (with a view to marriage later on). Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't, just like when your friends introduce you to other friends.
 

mersch

Elder
Joined
Mar 6, 2009
Messages
252
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
61
Location
kansas city metro area
Faith
Christian
mctaviix said:
Thanks mersch.  You make really good points.  Wanting a spiritual life in this era makes dating quite difficult.  Sure, being attracted to someone and even having a good report feels good, but deep down if they have no interest in matters of faith it will be fruitless.  The closer I get to Orthodoxy, the closer I feel to God and the easier it is to trust in him.  Finding a love is very important and can deeply affect ones spirituality. 

P.S.  I HATE saying "the one"...but I couldn't think of a better word at the time.   :laugh:
when I say the "one: it just means the one you're going to marry or want to, dont like that pharsing either, but used it to get my point across.
 

mctaviix

High Elder
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
809
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Yeah I know what you're saying.  It just is too romancey for a bachelor like myself!  ;D
 
Top