• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Orthodox explanation of 2 Kings 8:26 and 2 Chronicles 22:2

Irish45

Elder
Reaction score
My daughter recently saw a video on YouTube of the contradiction in age in 2 Kings 8:26 and 2 Chronicles 22:2. I have a feeling what the Catholic explanation is, but I’m curious how the Orthodox Churches explain it. If you have an idea, please let me know! Thanks everyone!

Alin

Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Romanian Orthodox Church
In my own language Ahaziah is 22 years old in both passages, and I know it is translated from the Septuagint. I see in many english translations that he is 22 years old in both passages. I think it is just a copy error. He was certainly 22 Years Old.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
I guess one might find the commentary of the Church Fathers for these excerpts, but we're not exactly bound to this level of minutiae of hermeneutics. So Catholic, Protestant and often even secular explanations will usually be fine.

Anyway, it seems even some secular scholars support the idea that 42 was an ancient copyist error, and some ancient manuscripts set 22 for both. Ahaziah being 42 at that time is in clear contradiction with his father Jehoram having died at 40, which is supported by both books.

sestir

Bokareis
Reaction score
Website
weihos.eu
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
independent
Looks like the Cambridge septuagints have "ὢν εἴκοσι ἐτῶν Ὀχοζείας ἐβασίλευσεν" — being twenty years Ahaziah areigned. So, there is not just 22 vs 42, but also 20 as an alternative in the Paraleipomenon (Chronicles). Though it could easily be dismissed as a typical scribal error, the scribes were pretty good at catching such errors, particularly if they knew it says somewhere else that his reign started at 22, so a serious treatment should probably analyze the variant 20 as well.

Walton's polyglot has twenty-two/twenty-second for Latin, Syriac and Arabic. De Lagarde has twenty-two for the Lucianic recension.