• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Orthodox Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in Kosice Slovakia broadcast Live on TV

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
I thought you'd enjoy this Hierarchical Liturgy mostly in Slavonic from the Orthodox cathedral in Kosice, Slovakia - broadcast yesterday on Slovak TV. The dark haired bishop is Metropolitan Rastislav of Presov and the taller one is Archbishop George of Kosice/Michalovce. Good choral pacing and well done prostopenije. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-wpBL34A3s&feature=youtu.be

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
podkarpatska said:
I thought you'd enjoy this Hierarchical Liturgy mostly in Slavonic from the Orthodox cathedral in Kosice, Slovakia - broadcast yesterday on Slovak TV. The dark haired bishop is Metropolitan Rastislav of Presov and the taller one is Archbishop George of Kosice/Michalovce. Good choral pacing and well done prostopenije. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-wpBL34A3s&feature=youtu.be
I'd be remiss in not noting that in the Commemorations at the Great entrance of all of the Orthodox primates and Churches, His Eminence included the OCA, so I assume that the reconciliation with Constantinople notwithstanding, his Church in Slovakia is one of the churches which recognizes the status of OCA.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Thank you for posting the link.

Actually, for me the more interesting is the fact of the reason of this liturgical celebration (commemoriation of Armenian genocide) and relations with OO; that's so curious, as I think there are very few OOs in the whole country.

And, btw, one of the most beautiful iconostasis I've seen - coming back to the ancient roots

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Dominika said:
Thank you for posting the link.

Actually, for me the more interesting is the fact of the reason of this liturgical celebration (commemoriation of Armenian genocide) and relations with OO; that's so curious, as I think there are very few OOs in the whole country.

And, btw, one of the most beautiful iconostasis I've seen - coming back to the ancient roots
The connection with the horrors of genocide is the key I think..the Orthodox (and many Greek Catholics in eastern Slovakia) were valiant in the resistance and saving Jews in the world war... so it doesn't seem unnatural to me. The church needs to witness against such atrocities.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-wpBL34A3s#t=1h37m44s - Serbian Orthodox paraliturgical song Govori Gospode in Slovak language <3

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Interesting to see the presence of the Armenians (I assume at least some of them are bishops?). The opening chant sounded like prostopinije or znamenny to me (I'm hardly knowledgeable and can only go from the little I've heard) but I also heard a lot of the familiar obikhod/ Kievan chants (e.g. in the antiphons).

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
wgw said:
Would it be fair to say then that the Czech Lands and Slovakia church is largely Carpatho-Rusyn liturgically speaking?
My understanding is that it's very mixed. I believe there is a sizeable minority of Czechs as well as Romanians, Ukrainians, etc.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
wgw said:
Would it be fair to say then that the Czech Lands and Slovakia church is largely Carpatho-Rusyn liturgically speaking?
My understanding is that it's very mixed. I believe there is a sizeable minority of Czechs as well as Romanians, Ukrainians, etc.
Most Eastern Slavs in Slovakia identify themselves as Rusyns, not Ukrainians. It's conversed in the Czech Republic but in there they are immigrants, not indigenous.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
mike said:
Iconodule said:
wgw said:
Most Eastern Slavs in Slovakia identify themselves as Rusyns, not Ukrainians. It's conversed in the Czech Republic but in there they are immigrants, not indigenous.
And in both countries among those who have left their ancestral villages for work in the cities, they tend to first identify as Slovak but of a  Rusyn background.(even those in the Czech Republic...) ..much as do many of us in the States... American, but of a Rusyn background. And many have lost proficiency in the Rusyn language over time, having been culturally assimilated - again like in America...