• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Orthodox lectionary to Google calendar?

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
Any suggestions? Preferably Gregorian variety in case there's any. Finns are a bit lonely in this regard but there might be some nerd out there who might have coded an adaptation of Julian lectionary to Gregorian calendar.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
All I could find was the GOARCH daily reading app. If there is a Google calendar version anywhere, it would take better google-fu than mine.

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Use this link in Google Calendar to subscribe to the ICS of the Daily Readings / Saints Calendar:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/lclkv92j37300hlffhj2qalmbc%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

If you're viewing the Calendar, there should be a little button to the right of "Other Calendars" (where it lists your calendars), that, when clicked, offers a few options in a drop-down menu, including "Add by URL" - just paste the link above there, and you're all set.

In case someone looks for it: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/ai11fcfu5v16og1dr0rdlt7r48%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics (Polytonic Greek)

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
^This is perfect. I didn't find any option for adding the url but downloading the .ics file and adding it instead did the trick. Thank you, Father!

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Just in case it helps - I've attached a screenshot of where I found it.

Attachments

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Alpo said:
Any suggestions? Preferably Gregorian variety in case there's any. Finns are a bit lonely in this regard but there might be some nerd out there who might have coded an adaptation of Julian lectionary to Gregorian calendar.
Hi Alpo.  Take a look at this collection: http://www.bombaxo.com/lectionaries.html

The Greek Orthodox lectionary is presented in such a way so as to be comprehensible with any of the three calendar schemes.  It is also interesting to compare it with the other lectionaries, for example, comparing the Old Testament lessons on Holy Saturday with those from the Roman Rite before 1955, or comparing the Easy Syriac Old Testament lessons with Jewish weekly Torah portions and corresponding haftarah from the one-hear Babylonian lectionary.  One gets the sense that all of these lectionary systems are interrelated and derive from a family of traditions dating back to the Apostles, the early bishops, the great liturgical composers like St. Cyril of Jerusalem, and the system of Torah reading established by St. Esdras the Priest.