• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Orthodox Sorta Franciscians?

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,324
Reaction score
3
Points
0
Our Lady of the Angels Na Pua Li'i Hermitage in Hawaii (the new ROCOR monastery there) has an image of St. Seraphim and the bear on the front page of its Website, but it appears they are Franciscan in orientation.

This is from the "Rule of Life" Website page:

For decades members of the Hermitage have followed a young man from Assisi named John. He was named Francis by his stylish, (we would say, "jet set") father. For the name signified fashionable France — something like naming a boy Gucci or Versace today. John, now Francis, accepted this irony even as he rejected the falseness he saw around him: the "glamor life" of his father, the pretensions of his social class, the corrupt and depraved Church, .... the whole world, vain and dangerous and separated from God.

Born little more than a hundred years after the Great Schism, Francis saw the ancient Church around him everywhere, for in Italy it lay about in ruins .... yet very much alive in nearby Greece and Asia Minor. And he grieved. He grieved for the disordered world. He grieved for the gored and disordered Church. He longed for its youthful wholeness .... and for Gospel life, which was never far from his mind. In the year 1205, he sat in a deserted wayside church gazing upon an icon Cross. Staring into the Byzantine past, he heard a voice .... Christ speaking from the Cross!

          "Francis, Francis, go and repair my House, for you see it is falling into ruins."

We have heard this story so many times that it is hard to hear it afresh. Yet, there are clues that waken us. The disjunction between the words repair and ruins stands out. How can one repair a ruin? A ruin, by its nature is beyond repair, a total loss. It must be restored. Francis does freshen up the Chapel of San Damiano where the encounter with Christ has occurred. But of all the places he might restore, he chooses a true ruin: piles of ancient stones from a church built in the 350s, truly a vestige of the ancient and original Church. The Church of St. Mary and the Angels, known as Portiuncula (Little Portion), had been built by hermits of the Valley of Josephat in the Holy Land as a shrine to the Mother of God. That ruin indeed is a vestige, we should say virginal remnant, of the Church's former wholeness.
Read the entire page here.

I think it's interesting, anyway.
 

augustin717

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
6,850
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Not strictly related but heard some Romanian priest yesterday cast an anathema on him in church as “the Papist , pseudo- saint”.
They also  anathemized nominally the false, canonically fallen, so-called Pope Francis of the old Rome , the pseudo-patriarchs if the so-called orthodox that reject the fourth council by their official titles -and also Justin Welby, head of the Anglican parasynagogue”.
 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,324
Reaction score
3
Points
0
augustin717 said:
Not strictly related but heard some Romanian priest yesterday cast an anathema on him in church as “the Papist , pseudo- saint”.
They also  anathemized nominally the false, canonically fallen, so-called Pope Francis of the old Rome , the pseudo-patriarchs if the so-called orthodox that reject the fourth council by their official titles -and also Justin Welby, head of the Anglican parasynagogue”.
Actual LOL.

Was this in Chicago? I'm sure if I had made it to liturgy all I would have seen would have been a nice procession of polite people holding their favorite icons.
 

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Joined
May 22, 2011
Messages
15,089
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Age
34
I think it's twofold- looking at the Byzantine-style San Damiano Crucifix and looking at the way that the Church in Italy had collapsed following the Great Schism (whereas the Byzantine Church was still allegedly thriving).
 

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Oct 4, 2012
Messages
1,552
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
42
New Skete is basically Orthodox Franciscans, so there's probably room for some more.
 

augustin717

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 15, 2006
Messages
6,850
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Agabus said:
augustin717 said:
Not strictly related but heard some Romanian priest yesterday cast an anathema on him in church as “the Papist , pseudo- saint”.
They also  anathemized nominally the false, canonically fallen, so-called Pope Francis of the old Rome , the pseudo-patriarchs if the so-called orthodox that reject the fourth council by their official titles -and also Justin Welby, head of the Anglican parasynagogue”.
Actual LOL.

Was this in Chicago? I'm sure if I had made it to liturgy all I would have seen would have been a nice procession of polite people holding their favorite icons.
no in Romania. Over internet. Anyhow the official church no longer officially has the anathema rite printer in the Triodion, but there is the internet and even though to my knowledge no bishop ever reads the anathemas , some priests do and they are tolerated.
 

Agabus

Taxiarches
Joined
Apr 10, 2009
Messages
6,324
Reaction score
3
Points
0
augustin717 said:
Agabus said:
augustin717 said:
Not strictly related but heard some Romanian priest yesterday cast an anathema on him in church as “the Papist , pseudo- saint”.
They also  anathemized nominally the false, canonically fallen, so-called Pope Francis of the old Rome , the pseudo-patriarchs if the so-called orthodox that reject the fourth council by their official titles -and also Justin Welby, head of the Anglican parasynagogue”.
Actual LOL.

Was this in Chicago? I'm sure if I had made it to liturgy all I would have seen would have been a nice procession of polite people holding their favorite icons.
no in Romania. Over internet. Anyhow the official church no longer officially has the anathema rite printer in the Triodion, but there is the internet and even though to my knowledge no bishop ever reads the anathemas , some priests do and they are tolerated.
Gotcha. So like Fr. Josiah but with the requisite werewolf and witch-warding training.
 

Deacon Lance

Protokentarchos
Joined
Oct 26, 2002
Messages
4,206
Reaction score
23
Points
38
Age
48
Location
Washington, PA
St Francis did not decline Holy Orders, he was ordained a deacon.  He did decline the priesthood.
 

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 14, 2017
Messages
5,793
Reaction score
8
Points
0
Location
Alphaville Zone Sud
Metropolitan Seraphim of Piraeus has also disagreeably used the anathema service.

And indeed the New Skete started out as Byzantine Catholic Franciscans who were received into the OCA.  In the 90s they published an agenda for liturgical reform which appalls me, but the specific use of the Byzantine rite they set up at their monastery using the Cathedral Typikon, I conversely approve of greatly (a bit of a paradox; as an exception to the rule, New Skete is excellent, but their ideas floated in the 90s, which I hope and assume have been dismissed internally and externally, would cause much misery in the parishes).
 

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Joined
Mar 14, 2017
Messages
5,793
Reaction score
8
Points
0
Location
Alphaville Zone Sud
Deacon Lance said:
St Francis did not decline Holy Orders, he was ordained a deacon.  He did decline the priesthood.
St. Francis, and particularly St. Dominic Guzman (but not his immediate successors), and some of the founders of the other Friars, particularly those involved in ransoming abducted Christians captured by pirates and at risk of conversion to Islam, I think could be considered for veneration in the scenario of RC-Orthodox reunification.
 
Top