• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Orthodox view of the "new earth"

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
Does orthodoxy teach that the faithful will actually inhabit a new re-created earth with glorified resurrected bodies at some time in the future.
I have heard conflicting opinions on this subject.

Addai

Reaction score
Website
addaiofalexandria.blogspot.com
TruthSeeker said:
Does orthodoxy teach that the faithful will actually inhabit a new re-created earth with glorified resurrected bodies at some time in the future.
I have heard conflicting opinions on this subject.

The short answer is no.

There is a heresy that is very hard to get any information on, online.  It's called Chillianism.  meaning "1000" in Greek.  So it's named after the belief of the literal 1000 year reign of Christ on the earth.

That belief was decided to be a heresy in one of the very early Church Counsels.  The the first one or the Second one.    But unlike other topics it is nearly impossible to find anybody writing about it.    I would not know about it myself if I didnot accidently run acrossed a long article on an Orthodox blog.  And that article unfortately seems to have disappeared off the Web...

JoeS

OC.Net Guru
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Addai said:
The short answer is no.

There is a heresy that is very hard to get any information on, online.  It's called Chillianism.  meaning "1000" in Greek.  So it's named after the belief of the literal 1000 year reign of Christ on the earth.

That belief was decided to be a heresy in one of the very early Church Counsels. The the first one or the Second one.  But unlike other topics it is nearly impossible to find anybody writing about it.  I would not know about it myself if I didnot accidently run acrossed a long article on an Orthodox blog.  And that article unfortately seems to have disappeared off the Web...
Dosnt the book of John say somewhere that there will be a new heaven AND a new earth??????

Why a new earth if not to be populated by the MEEK?

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
The New Heaven and the New Earth are not in themselves chilianism.
Orthodoxy teaches in accordance with the Apostles, that after the Second Coming of Christ, a New Heaven and a New Earth will be established and will be the abode of righteousness [bible]2 Peter 3:13[/bible]