• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Orthodox vs Catholic Debate

What is the Light

Reaction score
Hi all:

I'm trying to find Orthodox vs Catholic debates. I can not find any. I would be most thankful if any one could direct me to one.

More specifically I'm looking for a debate on the validity of the Papacy.

Thanks

choy

Archon
Reaction score
You mean actual intellectual debates or senseless internet debates?  ;D

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Do you mean textual debates or recorded debates?

Nephi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score

choy

Archon
Reaction score
What is the Light said:
I mean actual intellectual debates.  :)
Oh, okay, I don't have any of those  ;D ;D ;D

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
If you want to read some semi-polemical but erudite works of a traditionalist Catholic on Orthodoxy I recommend Adrian Fortescue's Orthodox Eastern Church and The Greek Fathers. Some of the scholarship is a little bit outdated, but those books are nice reads even for those who don't know much about theology.

There's an interesting chapter in the Orthodox Eastern Church about the differences in faith between EOC and RCC from page 361 onwards. Anyway, both books should be read in its entirety, I think.

Cavaradossi

Archon
Reaction score
For an Orthodox treatment of history around the schism, I'd recommend The Christian East and the Rise of the Papacy authored by Aristeides Papadakis in collaboration with Fr. John Meyendorff. The book is not designed as a refutation, but it does wind up refuting many arguments made by Roman Catholic apologists who often make arguments which are far from historically accurate.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Are there even Roman Catholics out there anymore who take their beliefs seriously enough to actually debate Orthodoxy instead of taking the ecumenical approach? From my experience with Roman Catholics in person, they seem very ecumenical and somewhat uninformed upon our differences when I tell them that I am Orthodox.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Are there even Roman Catholics out there anymore who take their beliefs seriously enough to actually debate Orthodoxy instead of taking the ecumenical approach? From my experience with Roman Catholics in person, they seem very ecumenical and somewhat uninformed upon our differences when I tell them that I am Orthodox.
Why not read the books I linked to?  :angel:

Cavaradossi

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
JamesR said:
Well, Fortescue has long since passed away, and there does seem to be an appreciable loss of quality in Roman Catholic apologetics these days.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Cavaradossi said:
Cyrillic said:
JamesR said:
Well, Fortescue has long since passed away, and there does seem to be an appreciable loss of quality in Roman Catholic apologetics these days.
I agree. The RC's are quite scared that they'll slow down the ecumenical process if they write apologetics against Orthodoxy. And besides, to take on Orthodoxy one would need a lot of historical, theological and philosophical knowledge. Protestantism is a much easier target.

Cavaradossi

Archon
Reaction score
Cyrillic said:
Cavaradossi said:
Cyrillic said:
JamesR said:
I agree. The RC's are quite scared that they'll slow down the ecumenical process if they write apologetics against Orthodoxy. And besides, to take on Orthodoxy one would need a lot of historical, theological and philosophical knowledge. Protestantism is a much easier target.
That being said, there are plenty of Roman Catholics who take their faith seriously enough to try to argue that Orthodoxy is wrong and Catholicism is right. Unfortunately, they almost always use florilegia as their primary apologetic tool, which really is the lowest and least interesting form of apologetics.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Cyrillic said:
Cavaradossi said:
Cyrillic said:
JamesR said:

::)

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
biro said:
Cyrillic said:
Cavaradossi said:
Cyrillic said:
JamesR said:

::)
'Tis true.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Well, there's two approaches Catholics make.  One is the, "we're the same faith expressed differently and only politics separates us."  The other is, "you are heretic schismatics and everything you say is false because you are not in communion with the Pope."

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
JamesR said:
"Somewhat uninformed"??

I'm surprised they don't ask you which synagogue you attend.

There are sooo many more Catholics in this country than there are Orthodox that I'm willing to bet most Catholics don't even know what Orthodoxy is.  I'd also be willing to bet that most of the ones who do know what Orthodoxy is only have a passing familiarity with it and probably aren't all that interested in it anyway.  And of the ones who have some real interest in it and even have more than a passing familiarity with it, I'd be willing to bet that many would be ecumenical in the sense of accepting Orthodoxy as a sister faith to Catholicism or some such thing.  And then there's all those folks on the internets.  ;D

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
choy said:
JamesR said:
Well, there's two approaches Catholics make.  One is the, "we're the same faith expressed differently and only politics separates us."  The other is, "you are heretic schismatics and everything you say is false because you are not in communion with the Pope."
And then there's all those Orthodox who say of us Catholics,  "you are heretic schismatics and everything you say is false because you are not in communion with the Pope."

choy

Archon
Reaction score
J Michael said:
And then there's all those Orthodox who say of us Catholics,  "you are heretic schismatics and everything you say is false because you are not in communion with the Pope."
Yes, it is a two way street.  I don't think there's anyone denying that here.

Cavaradossi

Archon
Reaction score
theistgal said:
I dunno, there's Dave Armstrong and James Likoudis.
Likoudis is a great apologist for Orthodoxy, with his many sophistries and his generally patronizing demeanor. His vomit always serves to strengthen my faith in Orthodoxy.

J Michael

Cave Dweller
Reaction score
choy said:
J Michael said:
Yes, it is a two way street.  I don't think there's anyone denying that here.
Excellent!

Adela

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
I have this book to read, it is by an Orthodox priest and professor. (This is not exactly the debate you asked for, but maybe this might be helpful?)

It is supposed to be fair to the Roman Catholic side, from the reviews.

His Broken Body: Understanding and Healing the Schism between the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches by
Laurent Cleenewerck

http://www.amazon.com/His-Broken-Body-Understanding-Catholic/dp/0615183611/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357755710&sr=8-1&keywords=his+broken+body

Wyatt

Archon
Reaction score
choy said:
JamesR said:
And then there's whatever I am these days.......tired, I guess.

Wyatt

Archon
Reaction score
Adela said:
I have this book to read, it is by an Orthodox priest and professor. (This is not exactly the debate you asked for, but maybe this might be helpful?)

It is supposed to be fair to the Roman Catholic side, from the reviews.

His Broken Body: Understanding and Healing the Schism between the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches by
Laurent Cleenewerck

http://www.amazon.com/His-Broken-Body-Understanding-Catholic/dp/0615183611/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357755710&sr=8-1&keywords=his+broken+body
I bought that on my Kindle. I thought it was a pretty good read, and did seem to be pretty fair to our side even though it was written by an Eastern Orthodox Priest.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
Cavaradossi said:
For an Orthodox treatment of history around the schism, I'd recommend The Christian East and the Rise of the Papacy authored by Aristeides Papadakis in collaboration with Fr. John Meyendorff. The book is not designed as a refutation, but it does wind up refuting many arguments made by Roman Catholic apologists who often make arguments which are far from historically accurate.
Love that book. Dry as dust, but interesting as all get-out.

Shanghaiski

Merarches
Reaction score
choy said:
JamesR said:
Both approaches are fatally flawed, but the former is a lot more annoying.

choy

Archon
Reaction score
Shanghaiski said:
Both approaches are fatally flawed, but the former is a lot more annoying.
Admittedly most aren't really aware of the issues.  When I became Eastern Catholic I was even dismissed as a "non-practicing Catholic" because I wasn't Roman Catholic anymore.  By the head of Parish Catechesis!  Of course the more learned ones do know the complexity of the issue, but the greater majority don't and would just think anyone who isn't Roman Catholic is Protestant (they also probably don't know the difference between a JW and an Evangelical).

theistgal

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wyatt said:
choy said:
JamesR said:
And then there's whatever I am these days.......tired, I guess.
:)  Preaching to the choir, my friend!  8)

Ignatius II

Reaction score
If you haven't already, you might listen to Fr. Stephen Damick's Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy on AFR or just buy the book.  He gives a lengthy discussion about the differences between Catholicism and Orthodoxy as well as the differences with other religions.  Obviously, it is pro-Orthodox so not entirely objective, but he gives a very good and interesting discussion between the different faiths.  He makes some very good points and is a very good speaker.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Are there even Roman Catholics out there anymore who take their beliefs seriously enough to actually debate Orthodoxy instead of taking the ecumenical approach?
It's a little hard to believe that this is a serious question; but assuming it is, the answer is Yes.

Wyatt

Archon
Reaction score
Peter J said:
JamesR said:
Are there even Roman Catholics out there anymore who take their beliefs seriously enough to actually debate Orthodoxy instead of taking the ecumenical approach?
It's a little hard to believe that this is a serious question; but assuming it is, the answer is Yes.
I agree. It was kind of a rude question.

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Wyatt said:
Peter J said:
JamesR said:
I agree. It was kind of a rude question.
Or naive.

BTRAKAS

Archon
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've always felt that the International Orthodox-Roman Catholic dialogue should issue papers of the debates between the churches, forthrightly, yet respectfully articulating the positions of both churches.  Instead, they issue statements with the intent of promoting where the churches have commonness, not that that is a bad thing, but it doesn't work toward an understanding of what is true, what could lead to a realistic understanding of what keeps us divided, and let the reader decide what should be.  I had a discussion with a devout, practicing Roman Catholic who asked me how can three words, "and the Son," be such a stumbling block between the churches?  When I explained it to him, the scriptural basis for the Holy Spirit proceeding from the Father, and the matter of the authority of a Pope over an Ecumenical Synod (Council) and the consensus of the church, he understood (not that it converted him, by any means, though).

PJ

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Basil 320 said:
I had a discussion with a devout, practicing Roman Catholic who asked me how can three words, "and the Son," be such a stumbling block between the churches? 
Yeah, I've heard that too, usually accompanied by a "for crying out loud".

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Peter J said:
Basil 320 said:
I had a discussion with a devout, practicing Roman Catholic who asked me how can three words, "and the Son," be such a stumbling block between the churches? 
Yeah, I've heard that too, usually accompanied by a "for crying out loud".
Three words? Heh. Let's not forget that a single letter was the difference between Orthodoxy and Arian heresy.  :police: