• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Orthodoxy and (faith) healing

FinnJames

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church of Finland
A Quaker friend of mine who is involved in a group that channels healing (viewed as mentally holding people in God's Presence/the Light and allowing this 'energy' to flow through the healer to the person in need of healing) asked me what the Orthodox position on healing is. What should I tell her?

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Tell her about Holy Unction, pilgrimages to venerate miraculous icons, tamata and fylakta. Better have plenty of time. ;)

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
I suppose going to a doctor is too mainstream.

nikolaj

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Serbian Patriarchate
I just heard a story about one of the healings by St Nektarios (whose feast will be tomorrow on new calendar).

Somebody who suffered from a condition (I can't remember the name) of paralysed hands and feet came to his relics. In his prayer to the saint he said that he didn't come to ask for anything. The only thing he wanted was to serve him and God. Within a week he started walking...

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
nikolaj said:
I just heard a story about one of the healings by St Nektarios (whose feast will be tomorrow on new calendar).
IIRC feasts of saints that died after the introduction of revised-Julian calendar are scheduled differently for Julian and revised-Julian calendars so that they end on the same day on civil Gregorian calendar.

nikolaj

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Serbian Patriarchate
mike said:
nikolaj said:
IIRC feasts of saints that died after the introduction of revised-Julian calendar are scheduled differently for Julian and revised-Julian calendars so that they end on the same day on civil Gregorian calendar.
I can see that Serbs and Russians celebrate him on the 22nd of this month