• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column

Reaction score
Punch said:
akimori makoto said:
I have sympathy with this, but you are kinda suggesting that people who have not been married have no idea about the sacraments of the Church or the teaching of the Fathers, while you have automatically acquired such knowledge simply by being married. Surely the truth is somewhat more nuanced.

Anyway, I am constantly being told by hobby lawyers what the law is, so I suppose we should all just get used to it.
The truth is very much more nuanced.  Sorry if my statements came out that way, since I was not even thinking of the Fathers when I wrote that.  I would say that people that have been married and gone through the trials and tribulations, as well as the joys of marriage have a better idea of what they are talking about regarding marriage.  As to the rules and regulations, simply being married does nothing about that.  I have been studying those longer than I have been married, so I am not ignorant of them.  My Godfather, a monk, once told me the following when I asked him some questions about living a Holy life.  He said "You are a married man, so seek your guidance from a married priest.  I fight a different battle than you do and should not be advising you on matters that I do not know.  Since the priest has a wife and a family, he will be better able to advise you."  That is what I had more in mind when I wrote the above.  A single guy can quote the Fathers as well, if not better, than I can.
Thanks, Punch.

You are generous and, I think, right on this point.

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JamesR said:
Personally, I wish that we still had arranged marriage. That would make things a lot easier and simple. Maybe our whole new concept of 'loving' and getting to 'know someone' before we marry them is all wrong. I mean, it only leads to a ton of breakups and divorce. I even read once somewhere that arranged marriages have lower divorce rates. Maybe the old way of things was actually superior; you marry the person whom your family arranged for you to marry and you two learn to love each other and get to know each other as you progress in your marriage. I'd just hope that my parents had good taste for me and picked someone from an Orthodox family; although I doubt they would and would instead probably leave me stuck with some western Protestant.
I knew an Orthodox Arab woman like that.  The first time she saw her husband was the day she married him.  We was working a farm in Western Nebraska and wrote home to Syria to have them send him a wife.  They did.  My wife was in awe of this and asked if she loved him.  She said that in those days, you learned to love your spouse.  Her husband passed away long before we met her, and she never even entertained the thought of marrying anyone else other than the man that she was sent to marry.  It can work.  But there are stories where it does not.  To know her was to know a Saint.  

Hiwot

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
this has been quite an interesting topic, and  the subsequent clarifications of points given have been very helpful. thanks all.

with Love,
:angel:

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alright fellas I have great news. I just found out through a lyric website that Steve-O, yeah the same guy who was in MTV's Jackbutt, was dating Elisabetta Canalis and he dumped her.

Yes let that sink in for a moment.

This guy:

Was dating this girl:

The great mystery of 2012 has revealed itself.

So take hope, we all too can have a supermodel of our own sans our looks and money.

britgirl

Reaction score
JamesR said:
Personally, I wish that we still had arranged marriage. That would make things a lot easier and simple. Maybe our whole new concept of 'loving' and getting to 'know someone' before we marry them is all wrong. I mean, it only leads to a ton of breakups and divorce. I even read once somewhere that arranged marriages have lower divorce rates. Maybe the old way of things was actually superior; you marry the person whom your family arranged for you to marry and you two learn to love each other and get to know each other as you progress in your marriage. I'd just hope that my parents had good taste for me and picked someone from an Orthodox family; although I doubt they would and would instead probably leave me stuck with some western Protestant.
As someone who has literally thirty+ friends due to have/already have arranged marriages, I can tell you that it is not THAT clean. I have a close friend whose parents are choosing her husband in order to further her father's political career in another country (they will choose someone in the same political party and have told my friend that she will not have a say. She has accepted this.) Yet another is in love with a guy and has been for years, but her parents do not think his family is "worthy" to be tied with theirs. All of these girls and guys are American-born. Marriages like these are often (but not always) used as a tie between families for some kind of gain, be it political, social (climbing the social ladder) or even financial (think family-owned businesses).

I'm only twenty and this is the reality of my South Asian and Arab friends across several different religions. The stress I see my friends under and the worry that their parents will choose "well" for them (in regards to social, financial and educational standards) but not someone they'll actually love. It's a huge burden for these people. It's not easier for an arranged marriage--it's an entirely different idea with its own set of issues, just like a "love" marriage has.

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
britgirl said:
JamesR said:
As someone who has literally thirty+ friends due to have/already have arranged marriages, I can tell you that it is not THAT clean. I have a close friend whose parents are choosing her husband in order to further her father's political career in another country (they will choose someone in the same political party and have told my friend that she will not have a say. She has accepted this.) Yet another is in love with a guy and has been for years, but her parents do not think his family is "worthy" to be tied with theirs. All of these girls and guys are American-born. Marriages like these are often (but not always) used as a tie between families for some kind of gain, be it political, social (climbing the social ladder) or even financial (think family-owned businesses).

I'm only twenty and this is the reality of my South Asian and Arab friends across several different religions. The stress I see my friends under and the worry that their parents will choose "well" for them (in regards to social, financial and educational standards) but not someone they'll actually love. It's a huge burden for these people. It's not easier for an arranged marriage--it's an entirely different idea with its own set of issues, just like a "love" marriage has.
Without actually opining about which is better, you didn't really answer his question. The examples you used were of people who 'will be' married, not those who are already established in the marriage.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
How do you get a woman's attention when you feel invisible like she does not even know that you exist?

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Become fatter and fatter until eventually she'll have to notice you because you take up so much physical space in her field of vision.

It probably won't get you dates, but it will get you noticed!

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
JamesR said:
How do you get a woman's attention when you feel invisible like she does not even know that you exist?
Why do you want to get her attention if you don't know her? Or, how did you get to know her if she doesn't know you exist?

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
JamesR said:
Why do you want to get her attention if you don't know her? Or, how did you get to know her if she doesn't know you exist?
Bit of an over-statement I suppose. It is this one nice Slavic girl at my Church. She's just so quiet and shy, (almost identical to me) and I've only spoken very few words to her in the past and made her laugh a few times, but other than that, I've never really sparked anything between us and she barely knows anything about me.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
JamesR said:
NicholasMyra said:
JamesR said:
Bit of an over-statement I suppose. It is this one nice Slavic girl at my Church. She's just so quiet and shy, (almost identical to me) and I've only spoken very few words to her in the past and made her laugh a few times, but other than that, I've never really sparked anything between us and she barely knows anything about me.
I think your moment to ask her out on a date was when you were making her laugh. But I'd go up and talk with her the next time you see her. If the conversation goes great end it by asking her to go on a date with you or hanging out someplace.

Don't be shy, what's the worst that can happen? She ignore you? Tells you no? Better to have known then never know at all only to regret you never made the move to find out.

Azurestone

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Achronos said:
Better to have known then never know at all only to regret you never made the move to find out.
Can punctuation save this sentence? Nah... The tenses are out of wack.

AndrewR

High Elder
Reaction score
What should I do, short of monasticism, if I have zero interest in relationships/marriage...? My ideal future at this point is living alone with a dog or two.

Is this a problem in the eyes of the Church?

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
NightOwl said:
What should I do, short of monasticism, if I have zero interest in relationships/marriage...? My ideal future at this point is living alone with a dog or two.

The normative choice is between marriage and monasticism. That doesn't mean there are not exceptions, nor does it mean that there is only one right choice (ie a person may find a spiritual home on either path). It does mean that every Orthodox Christian should be in a relationship of obedience--typically this would be in obedience to one's spouse/children (in matrimony) or to a monastic community (monasticism). As my priest once told me, the Orthodox Church doesn't have celibacy--it has obedience.

Of course, the only real piece of advice I could give, would be to talk to your parish priest. :)

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
NightOwl said:

Oh, I am sure that you will find some in the "Church" that have a problem with this.  I am not one of them.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
NightOwl said:

If you are living alone and living in celibacy as well as saying your prayers and building up yourself spiritually, are you any different than a monk?  In fact, you are probably living a harder lifestyle.  People live together in monasteries for the sense of fellowship.  You are taking on many of their burdens without their benefits. 

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
NightOwl said:

Gosh, I hope not!

:eek:

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
One of these days, I suppose I'll have to find myself a girlfriend. Trouble is: most girls around me at college either have different priorities at this point int their lives, are more concerned with alcohol and sex, or have been indoctrinated into all sorts of 3rd wave feminist causes. Not to mention the fact that I've always thought myself too busy with studies (and too broke) to have a relationship.

Hopefully this will change soon.

Also, I'm not just my parents' only child, I'm the only grandchild on both sides. Pressures kinda on me. :p

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
ironchapman said:
One of these days, I suppose I'll have to find myself a girlfriend. Trouble is: most girls around me at college either have different priorities at this point int their lives, are more concerned with alcohol and sex, or have been indoctrinated into all sorts of 3rd wave feminist causes. Not to mention the fact that I've always thought myself too busy with studies (and too broke) to have a relationship.

Also, I'm not just my parents' only child, I'm the only grandchild on both sides. Pressures kinda on me. :p
In which case, after you are received into orthodoxy, then become a monastic :p

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
ironchapman said:

I haven't posted anything lately on this thread, but things have been a changin, and perhaps some of this news will help you guys take heart!  So anyway, I hooked up with this new girl a few months ago, Edwina. Things weren't all that serious, but one night we bought a case of Milwaukee's Best beer, and you know how good that stuff is, you just guzzle it down, so we ended up pretty far gone. Well, I blacked out. I'm not proud of it, but it happened. I didn't even realise it until weeks later though, I thought I had just gone to sleep!  But here's how I found out. A few weeks after that drinking night I was gonna break up with Eddy, so I just cut to the chase and said I wanted to see other people. Well she got all emotional, and frankly a little violent. I finally got her to leave, and I thought that was the end of it.

Then the next day she tells me that she preggers!  I was like "What are you talking about? We never had sex!"  Well apparently that night we drank all that beer I didn't know what I was doing and we ended up having sex before I passed out, but I just didn't remember it. And I was like, "but baby, you use an IUD..." and she said it must have fallen out or something. She's not showing yet, or getting sick or anything, but apparently this is legit! So take heart, things can happen in ways you never imagined!

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
As usual, Asteriktos, I appreciate the insight. I haven't up hope yet, and I haven't truly begun to fight (so-to-speak).

TheMathematician said:
ironchapman said:

I've never really felt the calling to be a monastic, though, which is why I'm hoping that it's the married life for me.

Either way, I'm 22. I have plenty of years left to discern these things. Heh, my Dad didn't marry until he was 35 (and he was a Roman Catholic--at the time--so I assume there was some pressure on him to be a monastic).

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
My father is 62 this year and just got married for the fourth time. We're heading into Liz Taylor territory here, folks. My brother got married at 20 and was divorced by 25, so at least I got that nice little lesson from him (I'm three years younger than he is) not to marry my first serious girlfriend...hahaha. Sometimes I feel like I must be the only person of my age (I'll be 30 in about three months) who is not in a rush to get married. Can ya blame me?

There are much worse things than being in your early 20s and not being married, Ironchapman. Enjoy being single and don't let your family put any undue pressure on you. Men aren't baby factories either.

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
dzheremi said:
My father is 62 this year and just got married for the fourth time. We're heading into Liz Taylor territory here, folks. My brother got married at 20 and was divorced by 25, so at least I got that nice little lesson from him (I'm three years younger than he is) not to marry my first serious girlfriend...hahaha. Sometimes I feel like I must be the only person of my age (I'll be 30 in about three months) who is not in a rush to get married. Can ya blame me?

There are much worse things than being in your early 20s and not being married, Ironchapman. Enjoy being single and don't let your family put any undue pressure on you. Men aren't baby factories either.
Glad I'm not alone, dzheremi!

My parents don't pressure me--or at least only rarely do so. It's more in my head. Still, I'd love to have a wife and kids one day.

In the mean time, I'm still working towards a Master's degree in History, and hopefully a doctorate. I'd like to be a professor one day. I've long been told I'd make a good teacher, and that's what I like doing.

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
There ya go. And what woman of quality wouldn't want a fancy Doctor-Professor for a husband? This is also my strategy hope. 8)

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
dzheremi said:
There ya go. And what woman of quality wouldn't want a fancy Doctor-Professor for a husband? This is also my strategy hope. 8)
"Hey girl, I'm a doctor!" :p

As a personal thing, I have 3 basic things I'm looking for:

1. A Christian (now that I'm interested in Orthodoxy, I'd say preferably and Orthodox Christian)
2. Intelligent (I want to be able to carry on a good conversation with this person)
3. A kind and decent person (I mean, none of us are perfect here, but I'd like a girl that at least tries. For my part, I'll do the same)

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
BTW, who is the Saint (or Saints) for single people who are seeking a relationship (or however I should put it)?

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
dzheremi said:

I can count more divorces; I win.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ironchapman said:
BTW, who is the Saint (or Saints) for single people who are seeking a relationship (or however I should put it)?
St. Isaac of Nineveh; because the greatest relationship is the one with God.

mint

Elder
Reaction score
I'm disgusted with myself.

My fiance has been in Chicago for 3 weeks, and I'm lonely, I have no friends outside of work, no one to talk to really, and I've been flirting and entertaining thoughts with this assistant at the chiropractor's office.  Luckily I don't have the gumption to ever do anything about it, but still, I disgust myself.

‎"Two are better than one,
Because they have a good reward for their labor.
For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.
But woe to him who is alone when he falls,
For he has no one to help him up.
Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm;
But how can one be warm alone?"
(Ecclesiastes 4:9-11)

witega

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
ironchapman said:
I don't know if there's an 'official' answer, but a good place to start might be St. Basil the Elder and his wife St. Emmilia of Caesarea. And their son, St. Gregory of Nyssa.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
witega said:
ironchapman said:
I don't know if there's an 'official' answer, but a good place to start might be St. Basil the Elder and his wife St. Emmilia of Caesarea. And their son, St. Gregory of Nyssa.
I have prayed to the Theotokos, St. Nicholas, and at times to St. Xenia of St. Petersburg.

montalo

Archon
Reaction score
ironchapman said:
As usual, Asteriktos, I appreciate the insight. I haven't up hope yet, and I haven't truly begun to fight (so-to-speak).

TheMathematician said:
ironchapman said:

I've never really felt the calling to be a monastic, though, which is why I'm hoping that it's the married life for me.

Either way, I'm 22. I have plenty of years left to discern these things. Heh, my Dad didn't marry until he was 35 (and he was a Roman Catholic--at the time--so I assume there was some pressure on him to be a monastic).
*wooooooooooosh*

that went right over your head :p

ironchapman

High Elder
Reaction score
TheMathematician said:
ironchapman said:

TheMathematician said:
ironchapman said:

*wooooooooooosh*

that went right over your head :p
I apologize. Sometimes my sarcasm/joke interpreter goes on the fritz. :p

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Ok, so this post isn't about dating a girl, it's about a different type of relationship. I was at the gym yesterday morning doing my Quads. I do double split a few days a week, and on Fridays it's quads in the morning and then hams/calves in the afternoon. So I'm doing my quad workout, on my 13th set of squats, going atg but I was doing drop sets so I only had bout tree fiddy on there. Anyway, so I'm checkout my form out in the mirror and I see this guy behind me on the leg press, and I was lulzing, like.. really... leg press? What a noob.  So this guy sees me looking at him, and after a couple minutes he comes over to me, and he's like "hey, can I work in?"  and I say "yeah, if you want, but I'm just about done anyway"  and he's like "oh ok, you want a spotter?"  and I'm like "nah brah, I got this"  and he's like  "ok". 

Anyway, so I get to the 15th set and he's still hanging around and making me nervous as hell. And he keeps looking at me the whole time. Whatever. But then he comes up to me and he's like "yo man, I think your form is off, you want me to spot you? I don't mind". At that point I was just annoyed, and only had one set to go, so I was like "yeah ok" and he was like "well alright, cool" and I was like "ok last set" and he was like "yeah let's get serious up in here".  So I start going down on the first rep of my last set--oh, and I'm on the Smith Machine, cause I don't like squat or power racks--and he's huggin the back of me and getting all close and stuff. It was really uncomfortable!  But anyway I finish and think that's it, so time to get my cardio in and get going (for cardio I walk down to the GNC in the same strip mall).

Then the guy's like "wait are you leaving?" and I'm like "yeah brah, I'm done for the day, did my squattin" and he's like "hey man, I need to work calves, could you help me out before you go?" and I didn't really want to, but I was like "yeah I guess". But then I thought about it and I was like "wait, why do you need help with calves?" and he was like "I wanna do donkey calf raises" and I was like "we don't even have that machine" and he's like "nah bro, I do things old school" and I was like "er, like arnold with those chicks on his back in pumping iron?" and he was like "yeah man, best calves exercise there is, hits your gastrocnemius like a mofo, none of that soleus crap". Well I didn't know what to do. But I had already said I'd help, so I ended up helping him. He kept wanting to do more and more sets though, and he was always like "come on man, just one more set?"  So finally I said "ok bro I need to get going, I'm almost to the end of my half hour window for my post workout meal, and if I don't get it in the next couple minutes all my work will be for nothing" and he was like "yeah I feel ya".

So I turn around to leave, but then he's like "hey man, hold on a sec, I been lookin for a workout partner, you wanna start liftin together?" and I was like "well I really don't lift with other people, I sorta like to lift alone" and he was like "aww see I think we could make some massive gains if we helped each other, ya know? don't you wanna be a beast?" and I was like "well yeah, everyone wants to be the freak, but I just don't know" and he was like "well hey, why don't we get together for lunch some time and we can talk about it?" and I was like "er... what? can't we just talk on facebook or something?" and he was like "hey man, I just wanna get to know you better, you feel me brotha?" and I was like "um..." and then he winked at me.

I don't know what to do. Help!

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
:D

Sounds totally legit. I mean, he said "gastrocnemius" and everything.

JamesR

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Hyperdox Herman does not approve of homosexuality; it is a godless Greek invention.