• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
4,417
Reaction score
2
Points
0
That was quick. Better luck next time, I suppose.
 

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
4,417
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Hmm? You were trying to impress her with your subscription to Mr Universe Magazine, I take it?  ??? I have a feeling that strategy might backfire, for some reason.
 

vamrat

Merarches
Joined
Jun 4, 2010
Messages
9,471
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Age
36
Location
Omaha
Asteriktos said:
Urgent! If anyone here has ever coupled with a redheaded woman that was at least 6'2" tall would you please PM me asap?
Sorry, cannot be of service.  She was tallish, but was below six.

And unfortunately, we never coupled.  :'(

I think she might have been a lesbian.
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,563
Reaction score
316
Points
83
Why won't anyone believe me when I say that I just buy those magazines for the articles?

Anyway, it wasn't that that was the problem. Some girls just don't like peanut butter I guess. *shrugs*
 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
Asteriktos said:
Why won't anyone believe me when I say that I just buy those magazines for the articles?

Anyway, it wasn't that that was the problem. Some girls just don't like peanut butter I guess. *shrugs*
No Jelly for...Peanut Butter Jelly Time?
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,563
Reaction score
316
Points
83
I always found jelly unnecessary. I guess I could give it another shot though. I mean, if some people are that picky then fine, whatever makes you happy!
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,563
Reaction score
316
Points
83
So I'm going to be in Cinci this weekend and our very own orthonorm has promised to take me out clubbing at all the hottest places and introduce me to the who's who of Ohio. I can't wait!
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,563
Reaction score
316
Points
83
JamesR said:
I need advice
Measure twice, cut once.

Any more advice will require you to share why you need the advice and what about... :)
 

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
4,417
Reaction score
2
Points
0
JamesR said:
I need advice
1. Don't trust whitey.

2. See a doctor and get rid of it.

Those are the only pieces of advice you'll ever need. I mean, look at how far they got Steve Martin.
 

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
13,710
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
26
Location
Netherlands
Is orthonorm's advice bureau still in business or will it open especially for me? Or are there any other wise sages here that can help?
 

Apples

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Messages
4,360
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Cyrillic said:
Is orthonorm's advice bureau still in business or will it open especially for me? Or are there any other wise sages here that can help?
Cyrillic me boy, JamesR, Achronos and I can give you all the advice you'll ever need.
 

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
4,417
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Well, what sort of preexisting relationship do you have with this girl? If she doesn't really know you (or you her), you should probably lay some groundwork before asking her out, so that you have some things in common already to talk about and it's not just coming completely out of the blue (try to put yourself in her shoes; if someone came up to you out of nowhere and asked you for a date, you'd probably be a little bit confused, right?). Other than that, yeah, there's kinda no way to preserve your shyness here. You've got to ask at some point. Shouldn't be too hard...don't Dutch people drink coffee/go to the movies/go out to dinner, etc.? :)
 

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
4,417
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Without knowing anything about the cultural norms of the Netherlands, it sounds like a good opportunity to me. I'd go for it. Just a simple, no-pressure "You want to grab a cup of coffee after class?" (or similar) could be the beginning of something special..or it could not, but the point is you'll never know unless you try. At the very worst she says no, and you say okay and carry on.

I'm trying to remember (hahaha, I guess I've been single too long), but I think the first date I went on with my now ex was to a place she told me makes really good desserts. Like I said, about similar interests... :D It was nice because even if it had gone terribly, we'd both get cake out of the deal, so there are worse ways to spend a few hours. So something like that could work, since you know her and I'm assuming know what she's interested in.
 

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
13,710
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
26
Location
Netherlands
dzheremi said:
Without knowing anything about the cultural norms of the Netherlands, it sounds like a good opportunity to me. I'd go for it. Just a simple, no-pressure "You want to grab a cup of coffee after class?" (or similar) could be the beginning of something special..or it could not, but the point is you'll never know unless you try. At the very worst she says no, and you say okay and carry on.

I'm trying to remember (hahaha, I guess I've been single too long), but I think the first date I went on with my now ex was to a place she told me makes really good desserts. Like I said, about similar interests... :D It was nice because even if it had gone terribly, we'd both get cake out of the deal, so there are worse ways to spend a few hours. So something like that could work, since you know her and I'm assuming know what she's interested in.
Dzheremi, I lost count on how many times you helped me, thanks man! I'll see if I can come up with a good idea or just let things go.
 

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Nov 7, 2007
Messages
16,323
Reaction score
116
Points
63
Location
Detroit
Website
protectress.org
Don't "just let things go"....you'll never get anywhere that way.

I love the idea of asking her out for coffee or to the local icecream shop or whatever is "in" in your locale.

It's a non-pressure meeting, and not a formal date.

Coffee shops are great, because they usually have small tables and you guys can sit across from each other and have a great time....plus, it's intimate enough where you can actually have a decent discussion.

Wishing you well!

Don't be shy!
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Cyrillic said:
William said:
Cyrillic said:
Okay, I'll give more details about this all when asked for them.

How on earth do I 'signal' (for lack of a better term) my interest in her. Should I just ask her out or is that weird. Please take into account that I'm somewhat shy with things like this and I have no experience with this whatsoever.
Go for broke.
What's that?
Americanism for "to risk everything" on a single event. Comes from some variant of craps or something.

Nowadays, most people would say it means take a chance in general even if the stakes are not that high.

It would analogous to "go all in" from the past fad of No Limit Texas Hold'em.
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Cyrillic,

Your need for help ain't that severe. Having dated most of the continent of Europe, let me know if need something more specific to the cultural surroundings you find yourself in.

Dating in America is a bit different than "dating" in most European countries. At least IME.

 

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
13,265
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
House Of Balloons
orthonorm said:
Cyrillic,

Your need for help ain't that severe. Having dated most of the continent of Europe, let me know if need something more specific to the cultural surroundings you find yourself in.

Dating in America is a bit different than "dating" in most European countries. At least IME.
Where do you date over the rhine?
 

That person

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Dec 11, 2009
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Asteriktos said:
So I'm going to be in Cinci this weekend and our very own orthonorm has promised to take me out clubbing at all the hottest places and introduce me to the who's who of Ohio. I can't wait!
Gonna see the Steelers lose?
 

Asteriktos

Strategos
Joined
Oct 4, 2002
Messages
39,563
Reaction score
316
Points
83
That person said:
Asteriktos said:
So I'm going to be in Cinci this weekend and our very own orthonorm has promised to take me out clubbing at all the hottest places and introduce me to the who's who of Ohio. I can't wait!
Gonna see the Steelers lose?
I'm gonna meet the who's who, the Bungles don't have anyone on the list!  Will be too busy for football anyway...
 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
3,980
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
Asteriktos said:
That person said:
Asteriktos said:
So I'm going to be in Cinci this weekend and our very own orthonorm has promised to take me out clubbing at all the hottest places and introduce me to the who's who of Ohio. I can't wait!
Gonna see the Steelers lose?
I'm gonna meet the who's who, the Bungles don't have anyone on the list!  Will be too busy for football anyway...
You will not be too far from that person and I.
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ZealousZeal said:
Asteriktos said:
That person said:
Asteriktos said:
So I'm going to be in Cinci this weekend and our very own orthonorm has promised to take me out clubbing at all the hottest places and introduce me to the who's who of Ohio. I can't wait!
Gonna see the Steelers lose?
I'm gonna meet the who's who, the Bungles don't have anyone on the list!  Will be too busy for football anyway...
You will not be too far from that person and I.
Light years away. Although I think * will be visiting Cincinnati via wherever he is in Pennsylvania.
 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
3,980
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
orthonorm said:
ZealousZeal said:
Asteriktos said:
That person said:
Asteriktos said:
So I'm going to be in Cinci this weekend and our very own orthonorm has promised to take me out clubbing at all the hottest places and introduce me to the who's who of Ohio. I can't wait!
Gonna see the Steelers lose?
I'm gonna meet the who's who, the Bungles don't have anyone on the list!  Will be too busy for football anyway...
You will not be too far from that person and I.
Light years away.
It might as well be. Dayton is not exactly where the who's who of Ohio flock.
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ZealousZeal said:
orthonorm said:
ZealousZeal said:
Asteriktos said:
That person said:
Asteriktos said:
So I'm going to be in Cinci this weekend and our very own orthonorm has promised to take me out clubbing at all the hottest places and introduce me to the who's who of Ohio. I can't wait!
Gonna see the Steelers lose?
I'm gonna meet the who's who, the Bungles don't have anyone on the list!  Will be too busy for football anyway...
You will not be too far from that person and I.
Light years away.
It might as well be. Dayton is not exactly where the who's who of Ohio flock.
Dayton as much in common with Cincinnati as Akron does.

You don't belong here.
 

That person

OC.Net Guru
Joined
Dec 11, 2009
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Have you ever seen any advertisement for a realtor named Michelle Caldwell? Because she's headmaster of my school, in Dayton.
 

ZealousZeal

Protokentarchos
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
3,980
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
33
orthonorm said:
ZealousZeal said:
orthonorm said:
ZealousZeal said:
Asteriktos said:
That person said:
Asteriktos said:
So I'm going to be in Cinci this weekend and our very own orthonorm has promised to take me out clubbing at all the hottest places and introduce me to the who's who of Ohio. I can't wait!
Gonna see the Steelers lose?
I'm gonna meet the who's who, the Bungles don't have anyone on the list!  Will be too busy for football anyway...
You will not be too far from that person and I.
Light years away.
It might as well be. Dayton is not exactly where the who's who of Ohio flock.
Dayton as much in common with Cincinnati as Akron does.

You don't belong here.
In Ohio?
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
That person said:
Have you ever seen any advertisement for a realtor named Michelle Caldwell? Because she's headmaster of my school, in Dayton.
As real estate agent for a headmistress? Lovely.

You would think a religious school would require the members of their staff to have a soul at a minimum.
 

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
17,715
Reaction score
0
Points
0
ZealousZeal said:
orthonorm said:
ZealousZeal said:
orthonorm said:
ZealousZeal said:
Asteriktos said:
That person said:
Asteriktos said:
So I'm going to be in Cinci this weekend and our very own orthonorm has promised to take me out clubbing at all the hottest places and introduce me to the who's who of Ohio. I can't wait!
Gonna see the Steelers lose?
I'm gonna meet the who's who, the Bungles don't have anyone on the list!  Will be too busy for football anyway...
You will not be too far from that person and I.
Light years away.
It might as well be. Dayton is not exactly where the who's who of Ohio flock.
Dayton as much in common with Cincinnati as Akron does.

You don't belong here.
In Ohio?
Probably, but Cincinnati specifically was what I referring to.

IIRC, you are a non-NYC New York transplant to Dayton?

My condolences.
 
Top