Orthonorm's Dating and Relationship Advice Column

Irish_Melkite

Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
But then again, it's not that easy to cultivate a relationship. There is a lot of attention that should be given, good listening skills are needed, and you need to stalk her. I mean, really, really stalk her.  :angel:
Stalking a woman these days gets you a restraining order.  Are you out of your mind?

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
Aposphet said:
Asteriktos said:
Of course. What else would STD mean?  ???  Also, when I say that I'm "D&D free," I mean of course that I don't play dungeons and dragons.
Just roll the dice baby you never know what you may get.
Are you talking about the game, or... er... nevermind  :angel:

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Surely you know that I jest.

I have some advice, perhaps a short anecdote about Mr. Ismi and I (for those males who want to date and marry crazy, feminist, Christian women) but I dare not venture on Mr. Casanova's turf, except to throw off a few snarky lines here and there.  ;) Carry on!

Punch

Taxiarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
There is a lot of attention that should be given, good listening skills are needed, and you need to stalk her. I mean, really, really stalk her.  :angel:
If God had intended for men to listen to women, he would have put loudspeakers on their chest.

AveChriste11

High Elder
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
orthonorm said:
Dear Readers,

I will not be posting in this thread during the fast due the tone and nature of possible posts. But fear not, I will return to help you poor souls who have taken more ribbing than Adam for being alone with no mate to show for it, except for that 13 year old kid in Australia you play Red Dead Redemption with online.

Till then,

Orthonorm
I don't mean to undo the jovial tone of this thread but, in the spirit of this post, can we please remember that loneliness of this kind is a source of intense psychic and spiritual pain for many people? Others struggle with all sorts of other life issues/disabilities/disadvantages which contribute to them being unable to remedy that pain as easily as someone possessing different gifts might (am I being too oblique?).

May the fast bring great healing to all of us.
On a more serious note, I used to have that problem.  With being lonely all the time, perhaps to some extent I still do.  I am so much of a "perfectionist" at everything, and I would somehow decide to develop "feelings" for girls before I ever even got to know them as people.  Perhaps all I had a "crush" over was a graven image I formed in my mind, but not who any of these girls really were. 

The great majority of the females I would usually decide that I liked, never really reciprocated those feelings for various reasons.  I had always had issues with self-esteem growing up, so I guess overtime I've just given up on even wanting to talk and get to know women.  I suppose a part of me already seriously believes that it's destined to fail no matter what I do, so perhaps I should just go and become a monk or something..

Yet in spite of all of this, it seems that when you deal with self esteem issues -- your spiritual life becomes increased.  You start to develop a faith and trust in God to pull you out of your own internal struggles.. but I could never trust him when it came to girls.  For some reason my spiritual nature would rather run away from this world and everything in it because it's too "painful", and the only source of everlasting comfort is with God and the angels and the saints. 

So why should anyone feel lonely anyways?  We have angels, and saints -- and we have icons to remind us of that.  We have prayer, and fasting.. and we have confession for everytime we fail and offend our Creator.  Somehow I end up offending him every day, but oh well.. 

These are just my rambling thoughts on the subject of "relationships" with the opposite sex; and why I seem to have given up on them. 

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
orthonorm said:
Dear Readers,

I will not be posting in this thread during the fast due the tone and nature of possible posts. But fear not, I will return to help you poor souls who have taken more ribbing than Adam for being alone with no mate to show for it, except for that 13 year old kid in Australia you play Red Dead Redemption with online.

Till then,

Orthonorm
I don't mean to undo the jovial tone of this thread but, in the spirit of this post, can we please remember that loneliness of this kind is a source of intense psychic and spiritual pain for many people? Others struggle with all sorts of other life issues/disabilities/disadvantages which contribute to them being unable to remedy that pain as easily as someone possessing different gifts might (am I being too oblique?).

Some of us make a mockery of the issue to remedy the pain.  ;)

Jonathan Gress

Taxiarches
Reaction score
vamrat said:
akimori makoto said:
orthonorm said:
Dear Readers,

Till then,

Orthonorm

Some of us make a mockery of the issue to remedy the pain.   ;)
Others of us just like to mock. ;)

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
akimori makoto said:
Moderators, maybe we could have a new thread so as to avoid dragging this one down?
Or contrarywise not to mix somewhat serious playfulness, with serious painfulness as to seem "mocking" those who wish to sincerely and seriously tell their stories and problems.

Irish_Melkite

Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:

I have some advice, perhaps a short anecdote about Mr. Ismi and I (for those males who want to date and marry crazy, feminist, Christian women) but I dare not venture on Mr. Casanova's turf, except to throw off a few snarky lines here and there.  ;) Carry on!
Never marry a feminist of any brand, unless you want to be doing heavy penance and be very miserable for the rest of your life......

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Irish_Melkite said:
IsmiLiora said:

Never marry a feminist of any brand, unless you want to be doing heavy penance and be very miserable for the rest of your life......
Hey, you know what? It's good to mention that you can't handle the heat up front. Make sure to mention that on your first date because gals like to have the ability to talk back and have their voices heard in a relationship! So shocking, but there it is.

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Irish_Melkite said:
IsmiLiora said:

Hey, you know what? It's good to mention that you can't handle the heat up front. Make sure to mention that on your first date because gals like to have the ability to talk back and have their voices heard in a relationship! So shocking, but there it is.
Women like to talk? I had no idea!  :eek:

Irish_Melkite

Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Irish_Melkite said:
IsmiLiora said:

I've read feminist literature by hard feminists.  The "equality" bit is a smokescreen.  The TRUE FACE of feminism is to destroy family life and dominate men.

Schultz

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.theidlegossip.com
Asteriktos said:
IsmiLiora said:
Irish_Melkite said:
IsmiLiora said:

Women like to talk? I had no idea!  :eek:
It's news to me, too! ;)

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
Irish_Melkite said:
IsmiLiora said:
Irish_Melkite said:
IsmiLiora said:

I've read feminist literature by hard feminists.  The "equality" bit is a smokescreen.  The TRUE FACE of feminism is to destroy family life and dominate men.
Well you know that, much like Christians, there are a very broad range of women who identify as feminist, right?

Last word on the subject. I don't want to really de-rail this thread into a "All women who support other women are feminazis!" discussion.

Men, you are going to have to at least put up (or learn how to look like you're listening) with our sometimes idle, mostly valuable chatter if you want a relationship to succeed.  :p

Asteriktos

Hypatos
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
Men, you are going to have to at least put up (or learn how to look like you're listening) with our sometimes idle, mostly valuable chatter if you want a relationship to succeed.  :p
Interestingly, one reason I like female therapists is that they're willing to sit and listen. Male therapists just talk too much: they think they can identify all your problems, formulate brilliant solutions in seconds, and then spend the next 47 sessions talking you through how to implement their full-proof solutions. Guys are so annoying, amirite?  ;D

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
By nature, men are fixer-uppers (I don't like stereotyping, but this one is true in almost every man I've met).

Which is great, unless we happen to be crying at the moment.  :laugh: