• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Pagan Music

Anastasia1

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Here are a couple of questions about pagan music. This is not general mainstream music but might be applied to pagan Norse music or some similar ancient pagan religion's music or influence, or the neo-pagan/new agey music that is sometimes made today.

1. What are your thoughts on listening to pagan music that is:
A. Instrumental recordings
B. Contains singing in an unknown/foreign language
C. In a known language or with an introduction referencing pagan worship

2. Would humming along:
A. Change any of the above answers?
B. Fall under Matthew 12:36 as something condemnable?

Presuppositions:
a. The listener is not listening to it for the purposes of engaging in pagan worship
b. Music of a presently spoken tongue would not be listened to where anyone who speaks/would have any probability of speaking that language would hear unless both understood that both were Christians

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I love me some Heilung.

I'm using a pagan alphabet right now.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I listen to a lot of pagan artists (I'm friends with a couple of them, in fact), and hum and occasionally sing along. I don't find anything more condemnable in it than in reading ancient texts. No one considers performing classical drama or poetry an invocation of pagan gods. If a certain lyrical content offends or upsets you, don't listen to it. We're all adults here. If it's vain words you're worried about, watch out for gossip, not song lyrics.

Saxon

High Elder
Reaction score
I occasionally listen to Viking metal because I appreciate the music and the historical themes. That doesn't mean I'm casting runes or hailing Odin.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
If you are singing along in a pagan, or even a foreign to you language, simply know what you are singing.  If the words are blasphemous than do not sing them. 

If you are listening to instrumental music... what feeling does the music invoke in you?  Is it calming, helps you concentrate?  Does it have a quick beat that helps you do a workout, or clean the house?  Or does it stir feeling which you cannot have satisfied?

Music and language are not sinful in and of themselves... it is what we do with them.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
How disappointing this thread is not about (a) ancient Hellenic music
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJI6NAs-WvSW3XZXewUA6Wg

You're welcome.

Luke

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Anastasia1 said:
Here are a couple of questions about pagan music. This is not general mainstream music but might be applied to pagan Norse music or some similar ancient pagan religion's music or influence, or the neo-pagan/new agey music that is sometimes made today.

1. What are your thoughts on listening to pagan music that is:
A. Instrumental recordings
B. Contains singing in an unknown/foreign language
C. In a known language or with an introduction referencing pagan worship

2. Would humming along:
A. Change any of the above answers?
B. Fall under Matthew 12:36 as something condemnable?

Presuppositions:
a. The listener is not listening to it for the purposes of engaging in pagan worship
b. Music of a presently spoken tongue would not be listened to where anyone who speaks/would have any probability of speaking that language would hear unless both understood that both were Christians
When you ask about pagan music, are you referring to music about "gods" or just secular music. Would one of Beethoven's symphonies be considered pagan music?

Agabus

Taxiarches
Reaction score
So what do you think about listening to some of the catchier Hare Krishna chants, which are specifically directed to Krishna/Rama?

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
uocofusa.org
Agabus said:
So what do you think about listening to some of the catchier Hare Krishna chants, which are specifically directed to Krishna/Rama?
Personally, I wouldn't listen to them.

Ainnir

Taxiarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Agabus said:
From personal experience, I 1000% do not recommend this.
Now I'm curious. 

Brilko

Elder
Reaction score
I’m more wary of the music that I listen to than to other forms of entertainment. I find that music, when often repeated, imbeds itself more deeply into the brain.

If forced to listen to Hare Krishna chanting, I might have to open a can of Shut Yer Yap Up! No offense to any fine Hares lurking this site. I have certain disabilities.

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Brilko said:
I’m more wary of the music that I listen to than to other forms of entertainment. I find that music, when often repeated, imbeds itself more deeply into the brain.

If forced to listen to Hare Krishna chanting, I might have to open a can of Shut Yer Yap Up! No offense to any fine Hares lurking this site. I have certain disabilities.
This is an important point.  Now, I learned in my youth to tune out genres of music (which is why I don’t listen to many forms of popular music; I learned back then to relegate them to a lower level of awareness as at the time I found them annoying, and this choice has become embedded, to the point where I cannot unlearn my aversion to them), however, I remain vulnerable to annoying melodies one occasionally finds embedded in genres of music I do like.  An irritating melody in a work of classical music can get stuck in my head for days.

As far as the music being referenced in this thread is concerned, it is almost all annoying, except for Wagner’s Ring, which is pagan only to the extent it alludes to Norse mythology (Wagner had many flaws but worshipping the Norse gods was not one of them; indeed he rather gleefully did away with them in Gotterdamerung).

PorphyriosK

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Alpha60 said:
Brilko said:

This is an important point.  Now, I learned in my youth to tune out genres of music (which is why I don’t listen to many forms of popular music; I learned back then to relegate them to a lower level of awareness as at the time I found them annoying, and this choice has become embedded, to the point where I cannot unlearn my aversion to them), however, I remain vulnerable to annoying melodies one occasionally finds embedded in genres of music I do like.  An irritating melody in a work of classical music can get stuck in my head for days.

As far as the music being referenced in this thread is concerned, it is almost all annoying, except for Wagner’s Ring, which is pagan only to the extent it alludes to Norse mythology (Wagner had many flaws but worshipping the Norse gods was not one of them; indeed he rather gleefully did away with them in Gotterdamerung).
Absolutely.  Repetitive music has even been used as a form of torture and psychological warfare by the U.S. military.  And by the Soviets as well.