• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Paralysed man walks again after cell transplant

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
A paralysed man has been able to walk again after a pioneering therapy that involved transplanting cells from his nasal cavity into his spinal cord.

Darek Fidyka, who was paralyzed from the chest down in a knife attack in 2010, can now walk using a frame.

The treatment, a world first, was carried out by surgeons in Poland in collaboration with scientists in London.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29645760

Maria

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosynoscafe.com
quietmorning said:
A paralysed man has been able to walk again after a pioneering therapy that involved transplanting cells from his nasal cavity into his spinal cord.

Darek Fidyka, who was paralyzed from the chest down in a knife attack in 2010, can now walk using a frame.

The treatment, a world first, was carried out by surgeons in Poland in collaboration with scientists in London.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29645760

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory forever!

No more need to use the stem cells from unborn babies.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
That is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen in medical science, and with an unconventional microsurgical technique that deserves a Nobel. Who knew you can use the nerves that transmit smell for spinal reconstruction

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
That is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen in medical science, and with an unconventional microsurgical technique that deserves a Nobel. Who knew you can use the nerves that transmit smell for spinal reconstruction
Yes indeed! I had always thought that when paralysis was first cured, it would be with bionics (I. e., using electrodes and wires to reconnect the severed nerves). Guess I was wrong.

quietmorning

Archon
Reaction score
They have tried this with stem cells for years - but it never fully worked.  Using the nasal cells is just pure genius!  And very very exciting.  I'm wondering if this is the same group that started with the stem cell research - I don't remember what group that was or where it was.

Maria - this wasn't done in the U.S. so they might not have had to deal with the ban the US has on stem cell research - but there are other places you can get stem cells other than from an aborted baby.  Stem cells can be harvested from an umbilical cord at the birth of a very live well developed baby.  I don't know how many countries utilize the cord blood, though.  

Here in the U.S. scientist have to use cloned copies of a very small number of stem cells if they want to do any work with them.  The clones end up with errors in the DNA and are not a reliable source.  I don't like the thought of using stem cells with any source as stem cells can go awry in any number of ways.  There are a number of ethical issues over and above the source of harvest.