• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Pastor Joshua Schooping’s diss of Orthodoxy, and the Evangelical backlash it exemplifies

FULK NERA

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA
In the hothouse of English language Orthodoxy I stumbled across this Evangelical Pastor who was very recently serving as an Orthodox priest after graduating from two degree programs at SVS. He is publishing lengthy critiques of Orthodoxy on YouTube. He has authored two theology books and a fair number of scholarly articles, yet his grasp of Orthodox ecclesiology is so tendentious you’d gather he only read about it online! He seems most disappointed that Peter Moghila and Dositheus of Jerusalem wrote about the boundaries of the Church is a way he finds too categorical. I find that he has no sense of the different levels of authoritativeness that differentiate dogma from doctrine, canon from opinion.
This is the Pastor Joshua Schooping YouTube Channel where he posits his tendentious criticisms and promotes his caricature of our church life among other evangelicals who are only too happy to find some weapon to wield in their losing battle to justify their ecclesiology when Orthodoxy is now no longer inaccessible to middle America.
I am reminded of another priest from before the pandemic who served a few years and then apostatized to Islam. I can’t recall his name and I don’t think he was as outspoken as Schooping. But it’s always disturbing to see young clergy go theough Seminary all afire, publish copiously on theological subjects, then turn around and level charges against the church that are specious and thinly-veiled personal issues. I’d like to hear from others on the subject.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
OCA
In the hothouse of English language Orthodoxy I stumbled across this Evangelical Pastor who was very recently serving as an Orthodox priest after graduating from two degree programs at SVS. He is publishing lengthy critiques of Orthodoxy on YouTube. He has authored two theology books and a fair number of scholarly articles, yet his grasp of Orthodox ecclesiology is so tendentious you’d gather he only read about it online! He seems most disappointed that Peter Moghila and Dositheus of Jerusalem wrote about the boundaries of the Church is a way he finds too categorical. I find that he has no sense of the different levels of authoritativeness that differentiate dogma from doctrine, canon from opinion.
This is the Pastor Joshua Schooping YouTube Channel where he posits his tendentious criticisms and promotes his caricature of our church life among other evangelicals who are only too happy to find some weapon to wield in their losing battle to justify their ecclesiology when Orthodoxy is now no longer inaccessible to middle America.
I am reminded of another priest from before the pandemic who served a few years and then apostatized to Islam. I can’t recall his name and I don’t think he was as outspoken as Schooping. But it’s always disturbing to see young clergy go theough Seminary all afire, publish copiously on theological subjects, then turn around and level charges against the church that are specious and thinly-veiled personal issues. I’d like to hear from others on the subject.
This is very unfortunate. I have a book written by Pastor Schooping (while he was still Fr. Schooping) called Existential Soriteology that I rather liked which was on primarily the atonement and somewhat justification. I can't remember the exact way he phrased it, but a key phrase was something like "imputation is the perichoretic effect of impartation in justification". (I.e we are declared righteous because we are made righteous viz a ciz deificiation). How someone with this amount of lucidity can apostatize to the theological and to be honest uninformed mess that is evangelicalism is beyond me.

Illumine with the light of awareness the apostates from the Orthodox Faith, and those blinded by pernicious heresies, and number them with Thy Holy, Apostolic, Catholic Church.

SolEX01

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
www.goarch.org
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of New Jersey
I would like to foster discussion about it, obviously. You have issues with that? Please explain.
I don't have issues. I don't care about Pastor Schooping and his personal attacks against Orthodoxy.