• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Pastors blasting Starbucks over plain red coffee cups

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
Snowflakes, doves and trees are out and minimalism is in for Starbuck’s signature holiday cups — to the dismay of Christian evangelists.

The coffee chain’s seasonal designs are remixed each year, but this year’s tri-color tone of red, green and white has apparently angered some religious leaders for declaring a so-called “war on Christmas.”

“Starbucks REMOVED CHRISTMAS from their cups because they hate Jesus,” wrote former Arizona pastor Joshua Feuerstein in a viral Facebook post that had at least 8 million views Saturday night.

More here.

Maybe they should've used this image instead:

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
Starbucks removed secular Christmas nonsense and Christians are complaining.

Just shows that they have lost what the holiday should be about.

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco
Red is one of the colors associated with Christmas, so the design seems alright.  At least it is not a rainbow! :-X

lovesupreme

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
The living epitome of global consumerism has stopped co-opting a sacred holiday in order to garner more sales. This is a problem?

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I'd like to know why what people say on Facebook is reported as news.  I've seen that on TV news, as well.  2.5% of the nation sees his post and it's news?

lovesupreme said:
The living epitome of global consumerism has stopped co-opting a sacred holiday in order to garner more sales. This is a problem?
It's apparently a huge problem!!  Joshua Feuerstein says so!  ??? 

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
They're welcome to come to Costa instead. ;)

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Christian evangelists get angry when they see Xmas. "You're taking Christ out of Christmas!" they cry. (Technically, Xmas does no such thing, for in Greek X is the first letter in the name of Christ.)

Sirach

Elder
Reaction score
When I see stories like this I think... 'Slow news day.' 

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
I can't believe Starbucks, damn it!  And now I hear that Harkin's Movie Theaters are even planning on showing movies other than Nativity during the Nativity fast!  Can you believe them?  Now I have to start my own movie theater show that we can show nothing except Kirk Cameron films!

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
JamesRottnek said:
I can't believe Starbucks, damn it!  And now I hear that Harkin's Movie Theaters are even planning on showing movies other than Nativity during the Nativity fast!  Can you believe them?  Now I have to start my own movie theater show that we can show nothing except Kirk Cameron films!
I want a multimedia place that will show nothing but A Christmas Carol adaptations for 40 days. Pronto.

Amatorus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
The CEO of Starbucks is not even Christian, this should not be a surprise.

Buy from and support local Christian or Christian-owned businesses and companies.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Arachne said:
JamesRottnek said:
I want a multimedia place that will show nothing but A Christmas Carol adaptations for 40 days. Pronto.
Oh please!  None of them even mention God!  They're heathen garbage!

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Amatorus said:

Buy from and support local Christian or Christian-owned businesses and companies.
You tell 'em!  That's why I refuse to listen to Ancient Faith Radio: I'd have to pay godless heathens for an internet connection, since they don't broadcast in my area.

seekeroftruth777

Archon
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
I don't get some evangelicals anymore. First they call Christmas pagan and connect it to the winter solistice. Now some of them cry about Starbucks removing Christmas from coffee cups? seems logical ::sarc:: ;D

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Denver
Arachne said:
JamesRottnek said:
I wouldn't mind that.  There have been some really good ones. I'm particularly fond of the one with Patrick Stewart and the one with the Muppets.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
scamandrius said:
Arachne said:
JamesRottnek said:
I wouldn't mind that.  There have been some really good ones. I'm particularly fond of the one with Patrick Stewart and the one with the Muppets.
The Muppets one is one of my favourites as well, but the absolute top in my book is the Albert Finney/Alec Guinness 1970 musical.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
Most evangelicals are filled with  the leaven of the Pharisees on steroids.

seekeroftruth777

Archon
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
JTLoganville said:
spot on +100 although I would say some instead of most. Many evangelicals just try to follow Christ but due to not being in the church seem to miss the forrest for the trees.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Arachne said:
They're welcome to come to Costa instead. ;)

It's good to see at least one company who still sees the reason for the season!  :p

Agabus

The user formerly known as Agabus
Reaction score
Faith
Magnificat
Jurisdiction
La Virgen de Caridad del Cobre
Sirach said:
It all starts when an irrelevant MP in England notices that the cups don't have snowflakes on them (since when did snow = Xmas anyway?) and comments that it's not Christmas=y enough. A couple of right wing sites quote him to stoke up the outrage that sells, a few outrage addicts on Twitter take the bait and whaddyaknow some irrelevant pastors take up the cause. More sites quote them. More addicts take the bait. Etc.

This is a great example of clickbait sites trying to generate a story that will eventually feed itself.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
seekeroftruth777 said:
JTLoganville said:
spot on +100 although I would say some instead of most. Many evangelicals just try to follow Christ but due to not being in the church seem to miss the forrest for the trees.
I've met very few who were humble.  "God, be merciful to me, the sinner" isn't heard very often.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
JTLoganville said:
I've met plenty of Orthodox who match that description as well.  Phariseeism is not just limited to Evangelicals.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
scamandrius said:
JTLoganville said:
I've met plenty of Orthodox who match that description as well.  Phariseeism is not just limited to Evangelicals.
I've met a couple Orthodox who match that description, but definitely a minority.

Trad (Latin Mass-only) Catholics?  Right up there with the evangelicals.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
JTLoganville said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
JTLoganville said:
I've met very few who were humble.  "God, be merciful to me, the sinner" isn't heard very often.
It doesn't seem that you've heard it at all.

Would you care to explain to me [via PM] what you mean by this? At face value, this looks like a snarky criticism of another poster, which is borderline ad hominem and a blatant polemic not permitted on the Christian News board. You are therefore receiving a 10-point warning to stop engaging in such behavior inappropriate for this section of the forum. If you wish to appeal this action, please PM me.

- PeterTheAleut

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
JTLoganville said:
scamandrius said:
JTLoganville said:
I've met a couple Orthodox who match that description, but definitely a minority.

Trad (Latin Mass-only) Catholics?  Right up there with the evangelicals.
Definitely a minority?  Oh, so you at least concede that there are SOME who are.  Does it make a difference whether it's many, a few, some, half, less than half, slightly more than half?  The point is that Phariseeism rears its ugly head everywhere and we Orthodox are not immune from it simply because we're Orthodox.  Plus, I don't think it's a minority. I think you need to get out more.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction
JamesRottnek said:
JTLoganville said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
JTLoganville said:
It doesn't seem that you've heard it at all.
Oh, snap!

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Oh no!  Does this mean that megachurches that proudly serve Starbucks coffee will have to change to something different?  Say it ain't so!  How will they survive listening to Hillsong music without a pre-Sunday service cinnamon peppermint double latte?

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Oh no!  Does this mean that megachurches that proudly serve Starbucks coffee will have to change to something different?  Say it ain't so!  How will they survive listening to Hillsong music without a pre-Sunday service cinnamon peppermint double latte?
Megachurches have coffee hour too? I guess they'll just have to go to Caribou from now on.

JoeS2

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Minnesotan said:
Snowflakes, doves and trees are out and minimalism is in for Starbuck’s signature holiday cups — to the dismay of Christian evangelists.

The coffee chain’s seasonal designs are remixed each year, but this year’s tri-color tone of red, green and white has apparently angered some religious leaders for declaring a so-called “war on Christmas.”

“Starbucks REMOVED CHRISTMAS from their cups because they hate Jesus,” wrote former Arizona pastor Joshua Feuerstein in a viral Facebook post that had at least 8 million views Saturday night.

More here.

Maybe they should've used this image instead:

"Put not your trust in princes and sons of man, in whom there is no salvation."
Why do we care what color any business places on their product?  Its their business.
And why do we continually connect something spiritual on objects in this case coffee cups of all things?
If they want to make a point of being anti Christmas just dont patronize that store... ???

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
Pre-service?  Try in-service.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Minnesotan said:
hecma925 said:
Megachurches have coffee hour too? I guess they'll just have to go to Caribou from now on.
Not coffee hour.

Coffee shops.

Coffee hours cost the church money; coffee shops make the church money.

JTLoganville

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox
JamesRottnek said:
Minnesotan said:
Not coffee hour.

Coffee shops.

Coffee hours cost the church money; coffee shops make the church money.
Sometimes they are conveniently located next to the ATM which doubles as a "giving kiosk".

Swipe your card and pay your pledge.

ialmisry

Strategos
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
JamesRottnek said:
Amatorus said:

You tell 'em!  That's why I refuse to listen to Ancient Faith Radio: I'd have to pay godless heathens for an internet connection, since they don't broadcast in my area.
It's not the godless heathens that keeps you from listening to Ancient Faith Radio. They gave you your new time religion.

ialmisry

Strategos
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
Agabus said:
Sirach said:
It all starts when an irrelevant MP in England notices that the cups don't have snowflakes on them (since when did snow = Xmas anyway?)
Jesus didn't have a white Christmas. Why should you?

ialmisry

Strategos
Warned
Post Moderated
Reaction score
podkarpatska said:
The fools make faith look silly, thereby adding to the doubters and  those who claim 'none'. Sigh
Yes. Starbucks has done and made far less subtle attacks on the Faith. This is just nonsense.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
JamesRottnek said:
hecma925 said:
Is in-seat ordering available now? ;D

I know, I know.  You can bring your coffee with you as you look for a chair in the stadium seating.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
ialmisry said:
JamesRottnek said:
Amatorus said:

It's not the godless heathens that keeps you from listening to Ancient Faith Radio. They gave you your new time religion.
When was the last time you heard Episcopalians on the radio?  'Cause I usually hear Evangelicals and Catholics.

JamesRottnek

Taxiarches
Reaction score
hecma925 said:
JamesRottnek said:
hecma925 said:
Is in-seat ordering available now? ;D
At one church in Arizona, yes.