• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Pastors blasting Starbucks over plain red coffee cups

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
TheTrisagion said:
Things have gotten worse. MUCH worse.  Dunkin' Donuts has also taken Christ out of Christmas and replaced Him with some girl named Joy!  :mad:

http://www.fox29.com/news/46899730-story
Dunkin' Donuts has unveiled its holiday cups. In contrast to the red cups at Starbucks, the DD cups go full on winter holiday themed with the word "JOY" in red script surrounded by green pine branches.
That quote sounds like copy from a bad lingerie ad rather than for a disposable container for coffee.... ;)

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score

Weird Al just shared this on his Facebook page with the caption, "Okay, now Starbucks has gone too far...."

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:
Things have gotten worse. MUCH worse.  Dunkin' Donuts has also taken Christ out of Christmas and replaced Him with some girl named Joy!  :mad:

http://www.fox29.com/news/46899730-story
Dunkin' Donuts has unveiled its holiday cups. In contrast to the red cups at Starbucks, the DD cups go full on winter holiday themed with the word "JOY" in red script surrounded by green pine branches.
Blame Beethoven.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
With some of these people, it's almost as though they find the sight of a plain red coffee cup to be triggering, and the phrase "Happy Holidays" or the sight of a menorah or Festivus pole to be a microaggression. And they want safe spaces Benedict Options.

I mean, there's a huge, ironic similarity between the poor-persecuted-us subset of evangelicals, and the campus protesters at Yale and Mizzou. The biggest irony of all is that neither group seems to realize just how similar they are in this regard.

Rod Dreher criticizes the SJW's so much he doesn't even realize that he's essentially become one.*

*Although, to be fair, he didn't join the bash-Starbucks bandwagon. He's actually fairly tame compared to some of the unhinged evangelicals who love his Benedict Option idea, but (unlike him) aren't in the least interested in becoming Orthodox.

PeterTheAleut

Hypatos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
Minnesotan said:
With some of these people, it's almost as though they find the sight of a plain red coffee cup to be triggering, and the phrase "Happy Holidays" or the sight of a menorah or Festivus pole to be a microaggression. And they want safe spaces Benedict Options.

I mean, there's a huge, ironic similarity between the poor-persecuted-us subset of evangelicals, and the campus protesters at Yale and Mizzou. The biggest irony of all is that neither group seems to realize just how similar they are in this regard.

Rod Dreher criticizes the SJW's so much he doesn't even realize that he's essentially become one.*

*Although, to be fair, he didn't join the bash-Starbucks bandwagon. He's actually fairly tame compared to some of the unhinged evangelicals who love his Benedict Option idea, but (unlike him) aren't in the least interested in becoming Orthodox.
SJW?

NicholasMyra

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
hyperdoxherman.tumblr.com
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Partially-overlapping
And it's a misnomer, as the triggernaut crowd has nothing to do with actual social justice. This is because justice is interpersonal and triggernauts deal only in the intramental.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
NicholasMyra said:
And it's a misnomer, as the triggernaut crowd has nothing to do with actual social justice. This is because justice is interpersonal and triggernaut deal only in the intramental.
Stop your microaggression!

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
Didn't the Puritans ban Xmas among
among other dreadful iconoclasms when they first got up and running?

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
William T said:
No, this is a Christian Nation, not an Xian Nation. We shoot stuff, fly our flag and say God Bless America! Don't ever insult our patron saints, the Pilgrims who were best friends with the Indians until godless liberals came around and ruined New England, turning it into a sexpot of homosexuals.

seekeroftruth777

Archon
Warned
Reaction score
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
EOTC, but Coptic for now
William T said:
Purtians were like the Reformationist Taliban, no xmas, whipping people for the smallest of crimes, no dancing, no "sinful" music, iconoclasm, etc.

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
seekeroftruth777 said:
William T said:
Purtians were like the Reformationist Taliban, no xmas, whipping people for the smallest of crimes, no dancing, no "sinful" music, iconoclasm, etc.
Yeah, reading David Hume's account on them is funny.  It is one of my favorite history books.  The Puritans were actually mild when compared to some of those other similar radical cults popping up in Germany a century earlier.  I don't know if we really had such insane utopian or reactionary drives on that scale until about that time.  Either way, lets be grateful we didn't get the Hussites or Taborites running this place.

Amatorus

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
William T said:
seekeroftruth777 said:
William T said:
Yeah, reading David Hume's account on them is funny.  It is one of my favorite history books.  The Puritans were actually mild when compared to some of those other similar radical cults popping up in Germany a century earlier.  I don't know if we really had such insane utopian or reactionary drives on that scale until about that time.  Either way, lets be grateful we didn't get the Hussites or Taborites running this place.
Wiki article on Taborites is meager. Have any links to thie Hume book?

William T

Archon
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antioch
His history of England.  If I remember, his treatment of the Puritans was vol. 1.  you can probably get it for free on pdf.  I don't think he talks about hussites or anything.  That's just info I was randomly pulling from my head.

Seraphim98

High Elder
Reaction score
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTkSGaCUAAA2FIb.jpg

This pretty much sums it all up for me.