• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

PAT. ILIA ANNOUNCES LOCUM TENENS OF GEORGIAN CHURCH

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
His Holiness Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II chose today, when the Georgian Church is celebrating its greatly-beloved feast of the martyrdom of St. George, to make an historic announcement. Shortly before celebrating the Divine Liturgy in the Church of St. George-Kashveti in the center of the capital, the primate announced a locum tenens for the patriarchal throne of the Georgian Orthodox Church, according to information from Romfea.

Metropolitan Shio (Mudzhiri) of Senaki and Chkhorotsqu’s name was given in the order read out by His Holiness Ilia.

“I congratulate you all with the feast of St. George. It is an historic feast day. St. George wanted us to have a locum tenens, and that is Vladyka Shio. I congratulate Vladyka Shio with this high rank. I hope he will justify the hope rested upon him. May God preserve you,” the patriarch stated, according to 1tv.ge.
http://orthochristian.com/108587.html

Alpha60

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
That’s too bad; I fear His Holiness might be nearing his repose.  Still, let us pray he and his locum tenens may still enjoy many years!

I greatly admire HH Ilia for his piety and steadfastness, so this is sad news to read.