• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Patriarch Kirill has proposed a Pan-Orthodox Council on Mount Athos

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
According to Volkov, the first hierarch in his speech suggested the possibility of a Pan-Orthodox Cathedral on Mount Athos - "because, among other things, a very important symbolic of the Holy Mountain of importance for the world of Orthodoxy."
http://en.cyplive.com/ru/news/patriarh-kirill-predlozhil-provesti-vsepravoslavnyy-sobor-na-afone.html

This doesn't seem to be the most immediately trustworthy source, so I await further verification. Romfea has some information in Greek on what Patriarch Kirill said--as to the issue of location, it only mentions that there was extensive debate. Here is the article in question, google translate may help:

http://www.romfea.gr/epikairotita-xronika/6067-ti-eipe-o-patriarxis-mosxas-sti-sunaji-ton-prokathimenon

vorgos

High Elder
Reaction score
Title says council but your quote says Cathedral. So which is it?

In any case, a council at Mount Athos is a terrible idea and most likely not possible any way. Mount Athos is a monastic community not an exhibition center. In addition to hundreds of bishops that will be present, you have secretaries and other support staff and the public who will accompany them. Where on Mount Athos could you house such a crowd? What would it do to the live of the monks? No, I doubt it was even suggested by the Patriarch.

A quick word search on the text in the second link does not even mention Mount Athos...

Balthasar

Elder
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea whether any Russian Patriarch ever visited Africa, Ethiopia, in particular? I know no Russian/Soviet leader never ever made a visit to Ethiopia.

Svartzorn

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
?
Why is this a problem?
It would kindda give the monks direct access to the discussions. That's beneficial, right?

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Higher Criticism
Jurisdiction
Dutch
vorgos said:

In any case, a council at Mount Athos is a terrible idea and most likely not possible any way. Mount Athos is a monastic community not an exhibition center. In addition to hundreds of bishops that will be present, you have secretaries and other support staff and the public who will accompany them. Where on Mount Athos could you house such a crowd? What would it do to the live of the monks? No, I doubt it was even suggested by the Patriarch.

A quick word search on the text in the second link does not even mention Mount Athos...
Plus entertainment venues must be scarce on Athis,  after those long, pointless discussions on the technicalities of fasting .

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Svartzorn said:
Why is this a problem?
It would kindda give the monks direct access to the discussions. That's beneficial, right?
If lay participation in synods is a good thing, sure, involve the monks.  But don't stop there.  ;)

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
vorgos said:

Well I suppose this provides a compelling reason to build a luxury hotel and convention center in Karyes.  The Athonite Hilton, or perhaps in a nod to the 1960s drama film Hotel, the Hotel St. Gregory Palamas.

/ducks  :p

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
I think this is a great idea. They should include the topic of "women's roles in the Church" to the discussion.  It would be fun to see a bunch of unmarried bishops and monks who haven't seen women in decades have such a talk.  :p

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Shall I just go ahead and move this to Free-For-All so you can continue to have the 'Cutest Reply Contest,' or would you all like to return to the original topic?

- Father Giryus, General Fora Moderator
  (a.k.a. Lord Buzzkill)

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the South (OCA)
Dear Lord Buzzkill--Please do.

Second Chance

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the South (OCA)
Antonis said:
According to Volkov, the first hierarch in his speech suggested the possibility of a Pan-Orthodox Cathedral on Mount Athos - "because, among other things, a very important symbolic of the Holy Mountain of importance for the world of Orthodoxy."
http://en.cyplive.com/ru/news/patriarh-kirill-predlozhil-provesti-vsepravoslavnyy-sobor-na-afone.html

This doesn't seem to be the most immediately trustworthy source, so I await further verification. Romfea has some information in Greek on what Patriarch Kirill said--as to the issue of location, it only mentions that there was extensive debate. Here is the article in question, google translate may help:

http://www.romfea.gr/epikairotita-xronika/6067-ti-eipe-o-patriarxis-mosxas-sti-sunaji-ton-prokathimenon
This is old news. The site for the Pan Orthodox Council has already been moved to Crete.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
A fella wishes to focus on prayer life for the world and now the world, even in the 'form of religion', comes crashing in?
I don't think so.

Should be moved because we are so "cute".
Also per 2006 & 2013 kerfuffle, which is derivates to a 1971 meeting and in spite of the Cannon that clergy are forbidden to strike.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imiaslavie
Hallowed Be Thy Name: The Name-Glorifying Dispute in the Russian Orthodox Church and on Mt. Athos, 1912-1914

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
In the words of the Genie In A Bottle, "Your wish is my command!"

Have fun everybody!

- Father Giryus, General Fora Moderator
  (a.k.a. Lord Buzzkill)

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Well, if that is the case, I wish for a million dollars!

And a 100 more wishes.

DeniseDenise

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Does it matter?
Jurisdiction
Unverifiable, so irrelevant
and now the truth comes out....this is clearly a photo of the Patriarch scouting council locations...

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
TheTrisagion said:

And a 100 more wishes.
Not in my forum, so your wishes won't work with me anymore.

Seraffa

Reaction score
Faith
Coptic Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Diocese of the Southern U.S.
Mor Ephrem said:
Svartzorn said:
Why is this a problem?
If lay participation in synods is a good thing, sure, involve the monks.  But don't stop there.  ;)
Hopefully the monks/communities against OO reunification will fold their arms across their chests and sit home, refusing to go, like good, anathematizing traditionalists.
Can we say..........OUTVOTED??!!! 
Later: "You all! Get off this Mountain! The Holy Theotokos says you stink!!! Go take your baths in the Waters of Regeneration."  ;D

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like Florence.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
It was decided the council will take place on Creete.

Balthasar said:
Does anyone have any idea whether any Russian Patriarch ever visited Africa, Ethiopia, in particular? I know no Russian/Soviet leader never ever made a visit to Ethiopia.
He visitted the Church of Alexandria once or twice as a patriarch. And as he used to be a MP foreign minnister one can be pretty sure he had travelled to Africa a few more times.

Seraffa said:
Hopefully the monks/communities against OO reunification will fold their arms across their chests and sit home, refusing to go, like good, anathematizing traditionalists.
No reunification with the Orientals will be discussed at the Council.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
FatherGiryus said:
TheTrisagion said:

And a 100 more wishes.

Well, there went my plans for OCNet to produce "I Dream of Fr. Giryus" once we've finished with Laurus...

~

On a more serious note,

If one encountered a daemon masquerading as a djinn, would the best course of action be to make the sign of the cross amd say the Jesus Prayer?

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
wgw said:
FatherGiryus said:
TheTrisagion said:

And a 100 more wishes.

Well, there went my plans for OCNet to produce "I Dream of Fr. Giryus" once we've finished with Laurus...

~

On a more serious note,

If one encountered a daemon masquerading as a djinn, would the best course of action be to make the sign of the cross amd say the Jesus Prayer?
Holy Water helps to.  Lots of Holy Water.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
It might be the Patriarch but he doesn't properly address any of my issues.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
FatherGiryus said:
wgw said:
FatherGiryus said:
TheTrisagion said:

And a 100 more wishes.

~

On a more serious note,

Holy Water helps to.  Lots of Holy Water.
Are squirt guns canonical?  :p

~

On a more serious note, I do very much believe in the efficacy of artoklasia.  I find for whatever reason it has a soothing quality; it seems to taste better.  This might sound carnal or simplistic, but for whatever reason I have always perceived something unique about the Eucharist, the blessed bread and so on, which os of course at its most intense in the Eucharist, but which is certainly in the artoklasia.  Given the sense of an unquenchable thirst being quenched which holy water provides, it does not surprise me that it would put demons to flight.

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
DeniseDenise said:
and now the truth comes out....this is clearly a photo of the Patriarch scouting council locations...

That's a great photo.  I love it.  :D

Velsigne

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
biro said:
WPM said:
What would you like him to talk about?
Hello?  Are you there  WPM?

He's just a man, after all. He can't possibly address each one of us as individuals. 

I know God can and does address each one of us though. 

KostaC

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Sorry, I don't want to make a thread dedicated only to one simple question, but does anyone know specifically which city in Crete the meeting is set to take place? Crete is Greece's biggest island, so it's not like if they said "the meeting is to take place on the island of Spetses" in which case Spetses island means Spetses town. Chania has 91,066 people, Rethymno has 85,609, and the capital of Crete, Iraklion, has 140,730.

I'm just having a hard time picturing all the bishops of the Orthodox world flocking to the Chania Hilton, some gaudy tourist-joint, or splitting Air BNB's amongst themselves. Iraklion's cathedral is super historic (although it's quite large), Rethymnon doesn't have much of anything, and Chania's cathedral, while a personal favorite of mine, might not be well received because it looks like it was ripped out of a California mission town. There's just nothing like Ayia Eirene in either of the island's three biggest cities.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
KostaC said:
I'm just having a hard time picturing all the bishops of the Orthodox world flocking to the Chania Hilton, some gaudy tourist-joint, or splitting Air BNB's amongst themselves. Iraklion's cathedral is super historic (although it's quite large), Rethymnon doesn't have much of anything, and Chania's cathedral, while a personal favorite of mine, might not be well received because it looks like it was ripped out of a California mission town. There's just nothing like Ayia Eirene in either of the island's three biggest cities.
Not all. IIRC each of the 14 Churches is allowed to bring no more than 15 bishops and some staff memers.

LenInSebastopol

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
KostaC said:
Sorry, I don't want to make a thread dedicated only to one simple question, but does anyone know specifically which city in Crete the meeting is set to take place? Crete is Greece's biggest island, so it's not like if they said "the meeting is to take place on the island of Spetses" in which case Spetses island means Spetses town. Chania has 91,066 people, Rethymno has 85,609, and the capital of Crete, Iraklion, has 140,730.

http://www.oac.gr/en/contact-us/location-access/

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Patriarchate of Johnstown
KostaC said:

Isn't there a nice labyrinth with a minotaur in it somewhere? I think it would be an ideal setting to foster the spirit of cooperation.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
biro said:
WPM said:
They don't address fundamental issues like transportation or money.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
Velsigne said:
biro said:
WPM said:
Hello?  Are you there  WPM?

He's just a man, after all. He can't possibly address each one of us as individuals. 

I know God can and does address each one of us though.
Yes, here.

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
WPM said:
biro said:
WPM said:
They don't address fundamental issues like transportation or money.
Maybe that could be addressed by your local priest. Have you spoken with him?  :)

KostaC

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
mike said:
Not all. IIRC each of the 14 Churches is allowed to bring no more than 15 bishops and some staff memers.
Ah, that makes sense. I doubt every bishop in the world could even make it to this meeting, anyway.

LenInSebastopol said:
http://www.oac.gr/en/contact-us/location-access/
Thank you. Chania in my opinion is the nicest of the three cities (although I've barely spent time in Rethymno); they made a good choice.

Iconodule said:
Isn't there a nice labyrinth with a minotaur in it somewhere? I think it would be an ideal setting to foster the spirit of cooperation.
Ha, that'd make a nice team-building exercise, for the Brothers-in-Christ to figure out a way out of the labyrinth before the minotaur could get to them.