• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Patriarch with Alzheimer's?

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
I've heard a certain Patriarch has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.  Has anyone heard a similar story floating around?  Can it be substantiated?

I'm not naming the Patriarch so as not to cause any further perpetuation of this rumor.  However, I would like to confirm it if true, if only to offer a prayer for him and his church.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Aren't they all?

Aram

High Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
I'm not sure if this is who you're talking about, but the Armenian Patriarch of Istanbul is unfortunately incapacitated by early-onset dementia, eventually revealed to be early-onset Alzheimer's, but now thought maybe to be Frontotemporal Dementia, and can no longer perform his duties. He's only fifty-eight, and began to rapidly decline soon after he turned fifty. There's been a lot of controversy in the nearly ten years that have passed since he's been essentially out of the public eye about what happens next--whether or not a co-patriarch can be elected, what powers and duties his coadjutor has, etc. It's quite sad, really.

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
mike said:
Aren't they all?
Mike:

Really?  Knock it off, now.

Yurysprudentsiya

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
Yurysprudentsiya said:
mike said:
Aren't they all?
Mike:

Yurysprudentsiya
And now what exactly?

They all are way over 70. Problems like Alzheimer, Parkinson or prostate cancer happen often.

wgw

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Cast adrift in a lifeboat of the SS Aurora
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox
Aram said:
I'm not sure if this is who you're talking about, but the Armenian Patriarch of Istanbul is unfortunately incapacitated by early-onset dementia, eventually revealed to be early-onset Alzheimer's, but now thought maybe to be Frontotemporal Dementia, and can no longer perform his duties. He's only fifty-eight, and began to rapidly decline soon after he turned fifty. There's been a lot of controversy in the nearly ten years that have passed since he's been essentially out of the public eye about what happens next--whether or not a co-patriarch can be elected, what powers and duties his coadjutor has, etc. It's quite sad, really.
Kyrie Eleison.  Towards the end I think HH Ignatius Zakka Iwas couldnt walk, but for,a,holy man to lose his faculties at such a young age is tragic.  Like the death of Thrice Blessed Bishop Karas from cancer at some very young age here in California, he was the founder of our St. Anthony's.

But for whichever Patriarch is afflicted, and his Church, if this is true, Kyrie eleison.

ialmisry

Strategos
Reaction score
mike said:
Yurysprudentsiya said:
mike said:
Aren't they all?
Mike:

Yurysprudentsiya
And now what exactly?

They all are way over 70. Problems like Alzheimer, Parkinson or prostate cancer happen often.
I know plenty of people way over 70 who could outsmart plenty of smart aleck youngin's. ;)

Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
Mike:

I was trying to be lenient on your disrespect of our patriarchs.  Alzheimer's Disease is a very serious disease that robs a person of his or her mental capabilities and eventually causes death.  It is nothing to joke about and it is certainly far beyond the pale to cavalierly suggest in Christian News that all of the leaders of our holy Church are demented.  This is prohibited both under the rules against pejoratives as well as the "catch-all section of the rules."

You have now compounded that with questioning a moderatorial directive, which is clearly against the rules.

Once again, I am forced to put you on post moderation.  I am giving you a warning level of 35%.  Should you wish to appeal, please PM me.

Frankly, I find this whole thing very silly because you absolutely know better on both counts. 

Yurysprudentsiya

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC

Czar Lazar

Elder
Reaction score
Faith
Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Српскa Православнa Црквa
Dominika said:
mike said:
Yurysprudentsiya said:
mike said:
Aren't they all?
Mike:

Yurysprudentsiya
And now what exactly?

They all are way over 70.
No, e.g Romanian patriarch Daniel is 54.
I think he is 64, but here are more:
Patriarch Theodore II of Alexandria - 60
Patriarch John X (Yazigi) of Antioch and All The East - 60
Patriarch Neophyte of Bulgaria - 69
Patriarch Kirill of Moscow - 68
Pope Tawadros II of Alexandria - 62
Moran Mor Ignatius Aphrem II - 50