Patron Saint of Jordan (person, not the country)

Anastasios

Merarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.anastasioshudson.com
If you are named Jordan, you would celebrate your name day on Theophany, right? But who would be your patron saint--St John the Baptist?

Rastaman

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fr. Anastasios said:
If you are named Jordan, you would celebrate your name day on Theophany, right? But who would be your patron saint--St John the Baptist?
There was a Saint on the Roman Catholic Calendar who was Post-Schism...

http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=360

yochanan

Reaction score
Whos my Patron Saint? My name is Ian. I guess it'd John the Baptist or John the Evangelist right? Hmmm..  ::)

witega

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
yochanan said:
Whos my Patron Saint? My name is Ian. I guess it'd John the Baptist or John the Evangelist right? Hmmm..  ::)
Both of those would make excellent choices (you, your priest, or the two of you in concert will decide for sure at the time of your baptism). However, there there are hundreds of St. John's--your choice isn't limited to those two

St. John Chrysostom
St. John of Damascus
St. John the Unmercenary
St. John Cassian
St. John Climacus
St. John of Beverly
St. John of Rila

And I haven't even left the first millennium yet...

Papist

Toumarches
Reaction score
witega said:
yochanan said:
Both of those would make excellent choices (you, your priest, or the two of you in concert will decide for sure at the time of your baptism). However, there there are hundreds of St. John's--your choice isn't limited to those two

St. John Chrysostom
St. John of Damascus
St. John the Unmercenary
St. John Cassian
St. John Climacus
St. John of Beverly
St. John of Rila

And I haven't even left the first millennium yet...
St. John of Damascus would be an awesome choice. But of course I am biased. :)

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
Fr. Anastasios said:
You would have two choices, your Patron would be St. John the Baptist or the Trinity as revealed at the Theophany.
I have a friend in Greece called "Iordani" whose feast day is the Synaxis of the Forerunner (January 7) and a cousin called "Theophania" whose feast day is Theophany (January 6). Traditionally in Greece, it is your sponsor who decides your patron and feast day.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Someone named Jordan would fall into the same category as Greeks named Sotirios/Sotiria, Stavros/Stavroula, Evangelos/Evangelia, Panaghiotis/Panaghiota and Lambrini. While, in some cases, people bearing such names have gone on to become saints, the origins of these names is from a specific feast of the Church, namely: the Transfiguration of the Lord, the Exaltation of the Cross, the Annunciation, the Dormition of the Mother of God, and Easter. Therefore, people with these names would simply celebrate their nameday on the appropriate feastday, and their patronal icon would be that of the feast. So someone named Jordan would have as their patronal icon that of the Theophany.

Of course, the Slavic tradition does not allow such "festal" names, unless there already exists a saint by that name, such as Anastasios/Anastasia (of the Resurrection).

ozgeorge said:
Traditionally in Greece, it is your sponsor who decides your patron and feast day.
Not quite. Just as common, ozgeorge, is the tradition, not just in Greece, but in Russia and elsewhere, of naming children, particularly the first-born boy and girl, after one's parents. Russian priests often will appoint a patron saint and feastday when informed of the prospective baptismal name, commonly choosing a saint of that name whose feast is closest to the child's birth date or baptismal date.

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
LBK said:
ozgeorge said:
Traditionally in Greece, it is your sponsor who decides your patron and feast day.
Not quite. Just as common, ozgeorge, is the tradition, not just in Greece, but in Russia and elsewhere, of naming children, particularly the first-born boy and girl, after one's parents. Russian priests often will appoint a patron saint and feastday when informed of the prospective baptismal name, commonly choosing a saint of that name whose feast is closest to the child's birth date or baptismal date.
So if you are named for the Baptist in Russia, who decides when you feast day is? In Greece it is the Sponsor.

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
ozgeorge said:
LBK said:
ozgeorge said:
So if you are named for the Baptist in Russia, who decides when you feast day is? In Greece it is the Sponsor.
Of the Orthodox in my extended family (there are also Roman Catholics and Lutherans), I would be struggling to find any of the Greeks having had their feast day chosen by their sponsors. It was the parents. Of the Russians in my family, a few had their feastday chosen by the priest, but, again, the rest were by the parents.

ozgeorge

Hoplitarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.greekorthodox.org.au
LBK said:
ozgeorge said:
LBK said:
ozgeorge said:
Of the Orthodox in my extended family (there are also Roman Catholics and Lutherans), I would be struggling to find any of the Greeks having had their feast day chosen by their sponsors. It was the parents. Of the Russians in my family, a few had their feastday chosen by the priest, but, again, the rest were by the parents.
Are they in Russia?

LBK

Toumarches
Reaction score
Some are, some aren't. Likewise for the Greeks.

Shanghaiski

Taxiarches
Reaction score
That would be cool, Mike. Maybe there's more information to dig up on him.

But there are, actually, three Orthodox saints named Jordan--Jordan the Wonderworker (May 2), who died in peace, and Jordan of Trebizond, the New Martyr (Feb. 2), and Jordan the Martyr with Suchias in Armenia (AD 123) on April 15.

Reaction score
Anastasios said:
Look up Saint Jordan of Trebizond  ;)

Aristocles

Merarches
Reaction score
JordanOfTrebizond said:
Anastasios said:
Look up Saint Jordan of Trebizond  ;)
Thanks. And welcome to the forum.