• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Permanency of Priesthood

Bobby

Archon
Reaction score
I rarely post such questions here, but here goes:

The Latin church believes in the permanency of the priesthood.  Therefore, if a priest were to be deposed/excommunicated, he could be stripped of his function, but he still inherently remains a priest and can confect sacraments.

The Orthodox church believes that if a priest is deposed, he is no longer a priest, just like that.

Where does each side draw its argument from and what patristic resources can I consult to compare and contrast these two paradigms?

Thank you.
Robert

Fr. George

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Robert said:
The Orthodox church believes that if a priest is deposed, he is no longer a priest, just like that.

Where does each side draw its argument from and what patristic resources can I consult to compare and contrast these two paradigms?

Thank you.
Robert 
I need to go over my books, but I don't have the time at the moment... But I'll definitely get to it soon.  I know of at least one deposed Orthodox priest who still refers to himself as "Father" and tells others to do so (even though no one else - including the Bishop - does).

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Robert said:
I rarely post such questions here, but here goes:

The Latin church believes in the permanency of the priesthood.  Therefore, if a priest were to be deposed/excommunicated, he could be stripped of his function, but he still inherently remains a priest and can confect sacraments.

Thank you.
Robert
Actually, from what someone here has posted before, I believe the following may be what the Orthodox believe, "...but he still inherently remains a priest but serves NO priestly functions."

serb1389

Merarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Vallejo, CA (current); Gurnee, IL (greater Chicag
Website
www.greekorthodoxvallejo.org
I don't have anything specific on this, but i've heard arguments from both angles if this. 

I've heard that even with a defrocking that the priest is still a priest, in some sense of the word. 

Also, i've heard that the person is completely laisized. 

I think that is sort of both.  The person will forever be a priest, because I don't think that the sacrament is that "flimsy" but at the same time when someone is defrocked they are no longer conduits of the Holy Spirit in the same way that they were before. 

eh...my 2 cents. 

Bobby

Archon
Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies. I really appreciate your time and help.  With all due respect however, all of the above posts seem to be conjecture.  Is there any place I can find a definitive patristic teaching that you know of?

Elisha

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Robert said:
Thanks all for your replies. I really appreciate your time and help.  With all due respect however, all of the above posts seem to be conjecture.  Is there any place I can find a definitive patristic teaching that you know of?
Nope, only conjecture.  ;D