• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Person of the year 2013

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
London's The Times and the Anglican Archbishop of Canterbury have nominated Pope Francis as their Person of the Year 2013. Anyone got alternative nominations?

Jetavan

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Website
www.esoteric.msu.edu
Santagranddad said:
London's The Times and the Anglican Archbishop of Canterbury have nominated Pope Francis as their Person of the Year 2013. Anyone got alternative nominations?
Prince George of Cambridge

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I humbly nominate myself.  I can't think of a person more deserving.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
Pope Francis works for me, best bishop to come along in a while IMO. :police:

genesisone

Archon
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
Move it to Politics?
Why should the Person of the Year be someone from the realm of politics? I don't have anyone specific in mind, but certainly in years gone by we could have nominated people like Bill Gates, Neil Armstrong, etc.. Of course, there's also Nelson Mandela, but he likely had that honour in a past year.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
The person who had the biggest impact on me in 2013 was Zina Lahr.  Ok, I suppose it was an ideal that had the impact, and most likely it was one that was somewhat of my own making. Nonetheless, she was the right person at the right time.

Jovan

High Elder
Reaction score
I gave this nomination a one year of a  thought,  and for some reason I also came to your conclusion TheTrisagion :p Don't ask how but I know that God is great!

Santagranddad

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Malala Yousafzai, the young Pathan girl who stood up to Jihadists for girls education.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
Santagranddad said:
Malala Yousafzai, the young Pathan girl who stood up to Jihadists for girls education.
I will definitely back this one.

Jibrail Almuhajir

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Santagranddad said:
Nothing against the Pope, but he's the Pope; he's supposed to be a great man.  But this little girl stood up to bullies with guns simply for the right to an education.  Imagine the Little Rock Nine, instead of being screamed at, being shot at.  And when she talks about it?  She forgave them and harbors no hate.  For my money, it's either

1.  Malala Yousafzai

Or

2. Dr. Rdr. Scamandrius.  He's intelligent enough to become a doctor, yet humble enough to be a lowly reader. 

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
2. Dr. Rdr. Scamandrius. He's intelligent enough to become a doctor, yet humble enough to be a lowly reader.
He has my vote.

scamandrius

Merarches
Reaction score
GabrieltheCelt said:
Santagranddad said:
Nothing against the Pope, but he's the Pope; he's supposed to be a great man.  But this little girl stood up to bullies with guns simply for the right to an education.  Imagine the Little Rock Nine, instead of being screamed at, being shot at.  And when she talks about it?  She forgave them and harbors no hate.  For my money, it's either

1.  Malala Yousafzai

Or

2. Dr. Rdr. Scamandrius.   He's intelligent enough to become a doctor, yet humble enough to be a lowly reader.   
Humble?  Man you don't know me well. :angel:

Byron

High Elder
Reaction score
scamandrius said:
GabrieltheCelt said:
Santagranddad said:

1.  Malala Yousafzai

Or

2. Dr. Rdr. Scamandrius.   He's intelligent enough to become a doctor, yet humble enough to be a lowly reader.   
Humble?  Man you don't know me well. :angel:
You're pretty cool scamandrius but my vote goes to Charles Martel.