• For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Pete Seeger, Songwriter and Champion of Folk Music, Dies at 94

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pete Seeger, the singer, folk-song collector and songwriter who spearheaded an American folk revival and spent a long career championing folk music as both a vital heritage and a catalyst for social change, died on Monday in Manhattan. He was 94.

Here is a link to the full article in the New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/29/arts/music/pete-seeger-songwriter-and-champion-of-folk-music-dies-at-94.html?_r=0

dzheremi

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
A real hero of mine. This is very sad news, but 94 years is a true blessing, for both Seeger and the rest of us. :) Memory eternal!

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
May he rest in peace! A great man.
I sometimes wonder how North America might (or might not) have been different today if people like Pete and Woody Guthrie had never existed.

Pravoslavbob

Protokentarchos
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
PeterTheAleut said:
Seeger's the composer who wrote the Byrds hit "Turn, Turn, Turn," isn't he?
Yes indeed!  Of course, much of the text is adapted from Ecclesiastes.

podkarpatska

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.acrod.org
Pete Seeger was a man who led a long and an interesting life through turbulent times.  He was a man who truly left this world a better place for his having lived. Not for the wrong philosophy he followed as a young man but rather for his life's work for societal justice, his passion for cleaning the Hudson River, the sheer transcendence of his music, his true love for his country unlike the shrill "cheerleaderism" which many mistakenly equate with patriotism today and his incredible optimism. Thank you Pete! And a friend of Springsteen!

Irish Melkite

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Website
www.byzcath.org
Pete Seeger and the Weavers were and remain among my very favorite singers (like other favorite things of mine, my love of folk music gives away my age bracket)

May the memory of Pete Seeger be eternal!

Marc1152

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to speak with him once on the phone when I worked in radio (Pacifica, WPFW).

I kept thinking    Holy----  He sounds exactly like Pete Seeger !

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
Some posts about his political views have been moved to Politics.

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,56395