• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Photos

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
Then there's.....

St. Mary Basilica - Antiochian
I've never seen an Orthodox Church referred to as a 'basilica' before (only RC ones). What does that entail?

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
I don't honestly know.  It's the first Orthodox "basilica" I have come across, as well.

http://saintmarylivonia.com/home/#

This particular priest and parish are very "modern" minded, and wish to "fit in".  Perhaps they simply adopted the term to better "fit in to" the surrounding community.

I've wondered this myself, and the next time I see Fr. George I will make a point of asking him.

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
I don't honestly know.  It's the first Orthodox "basilica" I have come across, as well.

http://saintmarylivonia.com/home/#

This particular priest and parish are very "modern" minded, and wish to "fit in".  Perhaps they simply adopted the term to better "fit in to" the surrounding community.
Yes, that's a bit clear especially when you look at the FAQ page on their website under "Our Beliefs." No disrespect intended, as I don't think it's a huge deal.

Maximum Bob

Archon
Reaction score
I feel like a little kid at a fireworks show every other picture I want to say "ooh" and on opposite ones "ah".  You all are amazing photographic artists with spectacular subject matter.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
In honor of Proveedna Nedilya (St. Thomas Sunday), when we visit and pray at our family grave-sites...

My nieces and nephews cleaned everyone's graves...even the people we don't know....the girls planted flowers.

Lily discovered a hidden grave...that for years everyone assumed was just a big bush.

From this...

To this...

My uncle's grave and my future resting place...  :)

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Thomas Sunday is lots of fun. They color eggs again bring them to the graves along with sweet bread and what not. The Gypsies used to pick up all the eggs left on the graves that day. Reminiscences .

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
I've heard that the homeless come and take the food.  It's kind of like a gift to the needy from those who have passed away.

We color eggs, and actually "roll" them on the grave.

One person on one side yells "Christos Voskrect" and rolls the egg.  Another on the other side grabs it and then throws it back yelling "Voistinu Voskrec!"

This is done top, down, then right to left...making the sign of the Cross over the grave.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Most were shot with a Cannon PowerShot, but, I finally broke down and purchased a Nikon D5100 digital SLR, just in time to take photos during Great Lent!

kurtismjohnson

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
Most were shot with a Cannon PowerShot, but, I finally broke down and purchased a Nikon D5100 digital SLR, just in time to take photos during Great Lent!
Nice. they look really good!

IoanC

Archon
Reaction score
Thank you! And very beautiful pictures to all of you!
The relics are of Holy Martyr Paraskevi and St. Paraskeva of Iasi (a famous local saint).

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
William said:
I've never seen an Orthodox Church referred to as a 'basilica' before (only RC ones). What does that entail?
That there are some Romanians?

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Today's photos of the blessing of the graves, during St. Thomas Sunday (although this was the Saturday version).  Usually there are way more people in attendance but, it poured rain all night, and while the rain stopped, the gusty winds were blowing hard and the temps barely got in to the 40's....so, participation was scarce.  However, hopefully, tomorrow more will come.  :)

Opus118

Protokentarchos
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LizaSymonenko said:
Today's photos of the blessing of the graves, during St. Thomas Sunday (although this was the Saturday version).  Usually there are way more people in attendance but, it poured rain all night, and while the rain stopped, the gusty winds were blowing hard and the temps barely got in to the 40's....so, participation was scarce.  However, hopefully, tomorrow more will come.  :)
These wonderful photos brought tears to to my eyes Liza. They are especially meaningful to me. Thank you!

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
This year we had two children giving their First Confession on Palm Sunday.  I had the great honor of preparing them.  I told them that after they Confessed to step to the side and say their prayers - thanking God and asking for His forgiveness.  I told them they could even stand on the Solea to say their prayers.

...and here is the result.

We have the faithful and strong Disciple, and the humble and faithful Myrrhbearer.

How sweet are they!?!?

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Once again, my church.  This was Vespers (Sunday of the Holy Cross)

I think perhaps I may have made the "wreath" of flowers overly full...

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
I take a week's vacation in the summer and teach Vacation Bible School. 
The theme for this one was "Light of the World"....and all the activities and studies revolved around Light - from Proverbs...don't hide your light under a bushel....etc.

The kids

In class...

Study time outside...

One must have games...

Surfing on the land...

...getting eaten by a shark...

Checking out if Lifesavors Wintergreen candies really do SPARk when bitten (on the them of Light).  There's a long mirror in front of the kids and when I shut of the lights it was pitch black...and yes, they do spark.  It was really cool.

..time in the kitchen is always a hit.  This time we made LIGHT and fluffy cupcakes!

Continuing on the theme of LIGHT, they decorated these votives (glasses) and then we melted wax and poured them.

The kids wrote and performed skits on the last day, around the theme of "Letting their Light Shine"...where they made bad examples and then contrasted with what would have been the right thing to do, to let their light shine forth.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Photos from today - Consistory of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A. - South Bound Brook, New Jersey!

....I'm in this one, as is FrHLL!  :)

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
My new tenant....Under my porch roof I hung a "decorative" little bird house with a windchime underneath.  It was meant to be a decoration only.  It's tiny!  ....but, these little munchkins decided to raise a family in it.  Go figure!  ....and they sing up a storm!  Never heard birds sing so pretty!!!  What beauty God has provided us!!!!

Maximum Bob

Archon
Reaction score
  :angel: Beautiful, and I don't even like birds.  :laugh:

Maximum Bob

Archon
Reaction score
When I was a small child growing up on the farm we had lots of bird nests in the barns. When I would go into the barns the birds would go out, generally through the best opening for them to do so, the one I had just came in.  :eek:  Must have frightened me something awful.  :mad: To this day if a bird comes too close to my head I about hit the deck.  :-[ I know now that they wanted less contact with me than I with them, except maybe some swallows, but it's been terribly hard for me to shake it. Now, larger birds I'm okay with (chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys - yum), it's the little ones that cause me trouble. Oh, well. I still think they're pretty though, as long as they keep their distance.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
My local Romanian Cathedral (St. George) was celebrating their 100th anniversary about a month ago.  After the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, celebrated by His Grace Irineu, they had an exhibit of various sacred objects used over the years.  As always, I decided to take some photos.  I couldn't really understand a word, but, the pastor of the church knows me and when I stood to take a group photo of everyone, he told the bishop who I was.....to which I got a reply for him "Ahhhh.....chemna Ukrayinka!"  (Good Ukrainian)  Enjoy!

Gorazd

Archon
Reaction score
Your photos are wonderful, Liza! I hope you will some day get to take photos in Ukraine (and Romania).

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
From last week's 3 day VBS class:

Taking my lecture on candle symbolism to the extreme.  Among the various representation - light, sacrifice, etc...the kids loved the fact that the wax is flexible to remind us to be flexible to bend to the Will of God.  :)

The theme was:  The Lord is my ROCK, my FORTRESS, and my SALVATION.  Therefore, I had them to "rock" related crafts....here they create pavers out of concrete.  (I had no idea a bag of concrete weighed 80 lbs!  Where are the men, when I need them?)

For the FORTRESS...I had them build permanent sand castles/fortress, they could take home.  Cook sand with cornstarch.

Ice cream is always a hit!!!  Each year I order the truck that hires veterans...so, not only are the kids happy, the vets get a bit of help.

Guest speaker:

Learning a new version of the Lord's Prayer (different melody)

Growing rocks (crystals)

elephant

High Elder
Reaction score
Dear Liza,

I loved the votives, etc.  In fact I'm going to suggest this for our summer camp next year.

If I wasn't forbidden to eat sugar I'd be hiding in the bathroom now with lifesavers!

You've been given the gift of an artistic eye, may you be blessed to keep using it to glorify God!

Love, elephant