Photos

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Michał Kalina said:
I mean kneeling on the great entrance, not during ordination.
I know.  My point is that this particular posture is unique to the diaconate, and was probably more in use "back in the day", even if it is not as common nowadays outside of ordinations.  But again, I've seen it often here unless the deacon is somehow impeded.   

Romaios

Archon
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
I know.  My point is that this particular posture is unique to the diaconate, and was probably more in use "back in the day", even if it is not as common nowadays outside of ordinations.  But again, I've seen it often here unless the deacon is somehow impeded.   
RCs frequently kneel on one foot, but it's not reserved for deacons.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Ah, yes.  This church is rather tall and pointy.  Midway up, there's a choir loft around 3 of the walls.  It's from these balconies that I took the photos.  I kept running up and down and in and out and up and down and all around.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Specific tradition at Czyże parish for Entrance:

Pictures taken by my father (but the one  he appears in).

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Blessed Feast Day!!!

So, explain the tradition....

They all make their own candles?

Are they standing in some particular order?  I see the rows on either side, but, then there's a bunch of folks up front without lighted candles.

When do they light their candles?

...and finally....don't they work or go to school on this day?  You've got young and old in attendance.  That's great, but, here....they'd be dinged for missing school, and work.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Yes, they make their own candles for Entrance. Candles used to be make at homes but know they are made jointly at the
vicarage. There are 12 candles that are carried by women that make the core part of the custom. I suppose there are more too carried by the others. From what I see on the pictures candles are lit for the first time after they are blessed right after the Liturgy. Then they are lit at major feasts, when people die and on similar occasions.

It is normal school day. I suppose the children just skipped it, more or less officially.

pics from 2011 made by a photographer "a bit" more skilled than my father

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Michał Kalina said:
Vigil of a patronal feast. AFAIK first primatial service in Polish since WWII
Michał Kalina said:
Oh, forgot to add, there is Dominika hiding in one picture.
;) Yes, I was there but as usually I manager to hide ;)

It's great that finally the metropolitan decided to visit this chapel and serve in Polish. And he was really good prepared for it, it sounded very natural (what I can't say for the rector of the metropolitan cathedral that was also the guest).

I find it as a step forward regard to the attitude of Polish Orthodox hierarchy toward whole services in Polish and such missionary chapels (the metropolitan in his sermon did indicate that it's a good opportunity for God seekers to find the true faith).

I'm saying this although personally I'm all for services in Church Slavonic in Slavonic Churches (except sermons and probably readings, that should be done in vernacular, and maybe if there are repetitions of troparions, they can be chanted even in a few languages).
And what I find interesting, is the fact that my mother didn'r enjoyed so muchthe service in Polish (she's been there first time) although she is constatly saying that she prefers to understand all things. But she said the casue can be the way of sinigng and reading. So, it does not work for all potential converts...

monkvasyl

High Elder
Reaction score
Last Sunday, Dec. 1st, we were blessed to have our hierarchs with us as we celebrated our parish feast day.  We had to move the date to an earlier time so our hierarchs could visit.  We were blessed to have one of our altar servers ordained a sub-deacon and a gentleman in our parish was celebrating his 100th birthday.  This past summer 2 of our women, also, celebrated their 100th birthdays.

Here's a link to a write-up and photos of the visitation (click on the photos for a larger image):  http://www.uocofusa.org/news_131205_3.html

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Michał Kalina said:
Pity I was not able to attend.
Really. I was even a bit shocked you weren't present. But, hopefully, metropolitan Sava has started a new tradition (I mean visiting this parish at least on its patronal feast).

LizaSymonenko said:
Why was Dominika hiding?

;)
To not be thought as one that claims she doesn't' support services in Polish but in reality attend them.

No, frankly speaking, I'm just trying not to be in the foreground to focus on prayer, but sometimes (well, quite often because of my emotional reactions and stupid actions) I'm not so successful ;) Only in pictures I'm usually hidden, even in these ones from my parish I appear very rarely although I attend it very often (almost every service). Maybe I'm not so photogenic :laugh:

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ah, I must add Michal seems to be a good obserwant as he manager to see my head that appears once in all these pictures (and he has met my in person just a few times - four maybe?).

monkvasyl said:
... a gentleman in our parish was celebrating his 100th birthday.  This past summer 2 of our women, also, celebrated their 100th birthdays.
Wow! And that's a good explanation why we as Orthodox sing "many years' (in Poland non-Orthodox sing traditional here "100 years!" so it wouldn't be adequate here ;))

monkvasyl said:
Here's a link to a write-up and photos of the visitation (click on the photos for a larger image):  http://www.uocofusa.org/news_131205_3.html
You have interesting iconostasis, a good example to the thread about unusual ones ;) And interesting frescoes, as they seem to be quite traditional, but on the other hand, quite Western-influenced.

monkvasyl

High Elder
Reaction score
The iconostasis is not something I'm fond of, but its sturdy and is strong enough to support me when I rise from kneeling after the "Descent of the Holy Spirit on the Gifts" and after the "Our Father".  Fr. Roman and the people are very loving and I'm blessed to be their deacon. 

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Dominika said:
But, hopefully, metropolitan Sava has started a new tradition (I mean visiting this parish at least on its patronal feast).
I suppose you know whose name day it collides with ;) I suppose we shall not hope for much more until he dies (many years to him BTW!).

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
Specific tradition at Czyże parish for Entrance...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=506256012822371

Trailer of the film he was making.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Pascha Photos:

Holy Saturday.  Yes....we bless baskets on Saturday.  It began as a custom only for the elderly and those with very young children, who simply cannot attend services until 4 a.m. to have their baskets blessed.  However, they are forbidden from eating from them until after midnight.  :)

Note the kid in the back....I was sure he would pull down the entire plashchanitsia (shroud)....  Oy.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
We were pleasantly surprised Saturday afternoon, after Liturgy, by the visit of our bishop.  He was driving to another parish and stopped by for an hour to visit with us.  Only a handful of people remained behind, but, for those of us who did wait, his visit made the celebration even more joyous.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Pascha

My goddaughters

My godsons are the first ones on each side.  :)

It was VERY cold...so, the baskets got blessed in the church hall, instead of outside.

LizaSymonenko

Hoplitarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
protectress.org
Bonus:  I'm sure she'll cook up a mean pot of borsch, just as soon as she can reach the stove top!  ;)