Picture of the Day

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
In seminary, a local priest I was assigned to told me an amusing story about how a family insisted that he sacrifice a lamb and smear the blood on a sick baby.  He refused, and asked another clergyman from the 'Old Country' about it, and he confirmed it was a common practice.  With half the parish threatening to leave the church if he didn't, he relented with no little remorse.

A few days later, he was at the church praying, and waiting for the family to bring the lamb in from a farm in the countryside.  The cars pulled up, and all he heard was lamenting.  When he came out, he found the lamb was already dead: it had jumped out of the window of the station wagon when someone rolled it down due to the overpowering smell of lamb poop in the car.  A passing truck 'sacrificed' the lamb.

The priest considered himself the most blessed man on the Eastern seaboard.  He talked them into some Holy Unction.  The child recovered.  All was made well with the world.

Meanwhile, we can all be glad that our Confession rite does not involve chickens: http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/884421.shtml

Salpy

Toumarches
Reaction score
Minnesotan said:
IXOYE said:
FatherGiryus said:
[size=10pt]I have heard of some places in the Orthodox world where the priest is actually expected to kill the animal for certain celebrations.

What celebrations would those be?

Matagh.

Wrong.  In the Armenian Madagh tradition, the priest never kills the sheep.  He says prayers over them before they are slaughtered, or over the meat after it's slaughtered.  He never kills them.  As I said in another thread, my understanding is that our canons forbid professional butchers from becoming priests.

Minnesotan

Archon
Reaction score
Salpy said:
Minnesotan said:
IXOYE said:
FatherGiryus said:
[size=10pt]I have heard of some places in the Orthodox world where the priest is actually expected to kill the animal for certain celebrations.

What celebrations would those be?

Matagh.

Wrong.  In the Armenian Madagh tradition, the priest never kills the sheep.  He says prayers over them before they are slaughtered, or over the meat after it's slaughtered.  He never kills them.  As I said in another thread, my understanding is that our canons forbid professional butchers from becoming priests.

I stand corrected.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
Mor Ephrem said:
What is going on there?
It's just before the beginning of the liturgy on Thursday night.

I'm not exactly sure why Father chose to stand facing the people.

minasoliman

Stratopedarches
Staff member
Reaction score
biro said:
Cyrillic said:
biro said:
Cyrillic said:
Pews?

What's that altar-looking thing?
An altar.
What's it doing there?
I believe that was the second liturgy of the day. If you have two liturgies in one church in one day, you're supposed to bring out a second altar for the second service.
Interesting, sounds very similar to Coptic practice, only we would have another altar right behind the iconostases all the way to the side of the church if we were to do another liturgy in the same day.

Cyrillic

Toumarches
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
biro said:
Cyrillic said:
biro said:
Cyrillic said:
Pews?

An altar.
What's it doing there?
I believe that was the second liturgy of the day. If you have two liturgies in one church in one day, you're supposed to bring out a second altar for the second service.
Interesting, sounds very similar to Coptic practice, only we would have another altar right behind the iconostases all the way to the side of the church if we were to do another liturgy in the same day.
Indeed. Curious that the second alter isn't behind the iconostasis.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Jonathan Gress said:
Czar Lazar said:
biro said:
Interesting the woman in the picture having no sleeves...that would not fly in my church.
Not to mention pews and the priest has a trimmed beard.
Pews, a priest who busts out the old Wahl All-in-One (probably to keep his shallow, worldly wife happy), and a brazen woman in a sleeveless dress...and I'll bet she's shaved her armpits to boot!  This must be a Lutheran church, amirite fellas?

qawe

High Elder
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
biro said:
Cyrillic said:
biro said:
Cyrillic said:
Pews?

An altar.
What's it doing there?
I know a Coptic parish that does the same as in the picture.

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Looks like he's just reading the Gospel.  We don't serve liturgy that way.  Besides, the lamp in front would make things awkward.

Alxandra

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score

The Icon of St. George and Monk on Mount Athos

Alxandra

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
minasoliman said:
how old is the icon?
I'm not sure but the caption said it has a lovely story with it that dates to the time of iconoclasm.

Arachne

Matriarch
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As close to all-in-one as nature gets (click for full size):