orthonorm said:
Any context for the first? Curious.
Yes:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,38963
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19933

IsmiLiora

Archon
Reaction score
SLX, love the Phillies one. I always thought that the mascot was the creepiest one in the MLB.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
orthonorm said:
Any context for the first? Curious.
Yes:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,38963
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,19933
Thank you. Very interesting and lovely photograph.

orthonorm

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
augustin717 said:
Great-grand father's burial.
Memory Eternal!

augustin, can you explain a little about what is going on in the photo. From your previous avatar, I guess your great-grand father was in the military?

If too personal, I understand.

augustin717

Taxiarches
Reaction score
orthonorm said:
augustin717 said:
Great-grand father's burial.
Memory Eternal!

augustin, can you explain a little about what is going on in the photo. From your previous avatar, I guess your great-grand father was in the military?

If too personal, I understand.
No, he was just an illiterate peasant. From grand-mother I know he was kinda churchy and violent, cursed a lot etc.
It's the funeral procession heading to the cemetery.

Achronos

Toumarches
Site Supporter
Reaction score

John Piper uses his dark Calvinistic magic.

He is just predestining God to make truth fit his ideas.

Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Achronos said:

I must say that he is one of the more tolerable evangelical Calvinists out there. But still...

Selam
I will be hearing from him in person next week or the week after. Anything I should be particularly interested in or wary of?

Gebre Menfes Kidus

Merarches
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
akimori makoto said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Achronos said:

I must say that he is one of the more tolerable evangelical Calvinists out there. But still...

Selam
I will be hearing from him in person next week or the week after. Anything I should be particularly interested in or wary of?

I read his book "Desiring God: Confessions of a Christian Hedonist" years ago, when I was still Protestant. I like the book back then, but now I would probably find it very unOrthodox. The thesis of the book is that the purpose of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever. A neat idea that appealed very much to me at the time. But now that I'm Orthodox, I realize that the experience of God is not always pleasant or enjoyable. The experience of God is inextricably linked to the Cross. Of course, Christ enables us to bear our Cross, and the Holy Spirit is our ubiquitous Comfortor. But the Christian life is arduous, and there is no nove theological innovation that can help us escape the struggle.

To be fair, John Piper might not disagree with this. But I am now very leary of all these famous Protestant preachers who keep trying to put their own unique heterodox spin on the ancient Christian Gospel.

Selam

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
IsmiLiora said:
I want one signed by the real author.  :mad:
I'm sure there are some people out there who think James Earl Jones is God...

Reminds me of when people would always try to get celebrity televangelists to sign their Bibles.

Reaction score
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
akimori makoto said:
Gebre Menfes Kidus said:
Achronos said:

Selam

I read his book "Desiring God: Confessions of a Christian Hedonist" years ago, when I was still Protestant. I like the book back then, but now I would probably find it very unOrthodox. The thesis of the book is that the purpose of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever. A neat idea that appealed very much to me at the time. But now that I'm Orthodox, I realize that the experience of God is not always pleasant or enjoyable. The experience of God is inextricably linked to the Cross. Of course, Christ enables us to bear our Cross, and the Holy Spirit is our ubiquitous Comfortor. But the Christian life is arduous, and there is no nove theological innovation that can help us escape the struggle.

To be fair, John Piper might not disagree with this. But I am now very leary of all these famous Protestant preachers who keep trying to put their own unique heterodox spin on the ancient Christian Gospel.

Selam
Thanks, Gebre. I generally belong to the "if it feels amazing you're probably doing it wrong" school of Christianity (which is hopefully close to the teaching of the Church), so it will be interesting ...

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
At first I thought that second by line said "Bobby Ghanoush."

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org

From the Lyons, IL news site Suburban Life:

Olga Bertosa of Westchester walks to the pew after paying respect to saints at the alter during the service held at St Nikola Serbian Orthodox Church Sunday August 14, 2001. The church has had a presence for a year in the community.