• Please remember: Pray for Ukraine in the Prayer forum; Share news in the Christian News section; Discuss religious implications in FFA: Religious Topics; Discuss political implications in Politics (and if you don't have access, PM me) Thank you! + Fr. George, Forum Administrator

Picture of the Day

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Orthodox Church in America
"America is new. It does not have history. You go to Italy and Greece and you see impressively ancient ruins."
So the European said...

Peruvian ruins from 2800 BC.

La Venta, Mexico, Olmec civilization

Chiapa de Corzo, Mexico, pyramid ruins from 700 BC, Mixe–Zoque–Olmec culture

Teotihuacan, Mexico, ruins from 100 BC - 550 AD

L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland, Canada, 1000 AD, viking settlement

Cahokia Mounds, western Illinois near St. Louis, MO, ruins from 1050–1350 AD

Another view of the Cahokia mounds

Taos Pueblo, NM, built between 1000 and 1450 AD, still inhabited

Luke

Merarches
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Metropolis of San Francisco

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia
L'Anse aux Meadows, Newfoundland, Canada, 1000 AD, viking settlement

They look like Sodies with thatched roofs ```

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
Jurisdiction
Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
On the doors of Roman Catholic cathedral in Katowice, Poland
"Priests are traitors of Jesus! We demand opening the church, Holy Mass with our participation and the holy confession!"

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
Dominika said:
On the doors of Roman Catholic cathedral in Katowice, Poland
"Priests are traitors of Jesus! We demand opening the church, Holy Mass with our participation and the holy confession!"

To an extent, I can sympathize.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
"Go out, virus, cursed"

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction

During this pandemic, as we collectively experience the global outbreak and exponential spread of the coronavirus, the Venerable Nikephoros the Leper appeared to someone in Greece and told him: “Tell the people not to be afraid of the virus. And, in the event that someone gets infected, tell them to pray to me and I will help them.”

Rendered at the hands of iconographer, Archimandrite Evsevije (Meandzija), a Serbian post-graduate student at the Theological Faculty of the University of Athens, this new icon for our times, represents the Theotokos and St. Nikephoros praying before the Crucified Lord to save humankind from the coronavirus.
Source:  https://easterndiocese.org/news_200325_1

HaydenTE

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Faith
Episcopalian-ish
Jurisdiction
I pray for all bishops
Really would’ve been quite nice if the giant viruses weren’t plastered in the background.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Faith
Mercenary Freudianism
Jurisdiction
Texas Feminist Coptic
HaydenTE said:
Really would’ve been quite nice if the giant viruses weren’t plastered in the background.
It would be nice if they weren’t so ubiquitous in real life too.

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction

St Anthony's Greek Orthodox Church, Australia

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction

- what kind of dog is it? it has horns!
- please, do not enter into personal life of my dog!

Ainnir

Merarches
Staff member
Reaction score
Faith
Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Antiochian
Dominika said:

I love this.

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
Ainnir said:
Dominika said:

I love this.
I'm guessing they have a lot of Christoses and Ioannises.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
As someone who learned Spanish growing up, Portuguese looks to me like a weird, complicated version of Spanish. But to you, who learned Portuguese growing up, how does Spanish look to you, like a simpler version of Portuguese?

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
rakovsky said:
As someone who learned Spanish growing up, Portuguese looks to me like a weird, complicated version of Spanish. But to you, who learned Portuguese growing up, how does Spanish look to you, like a simpler version of Portuguese?
Well, yeah.

For instance, Portuguese has 7 to 8 oral vowel phonemes depending on the dialect, plus 5 nasal vowel phonemes, all with varying distribution and a lot of allophony (contextual changes). Spanish consistently has 5 phonemic vowels only, and they don't have allophones. Portuguese has four semivowels, while Spanish has one. Portuguese kept all the original Iberian Romance consonants in the orthography, with some dialects even keeping all of them in pronunciation, while Spanish dropped some in orthography and most dialects one more distinction in pronunciation. Portuguese orthography is a bit conservative (although much less than French), while Spanish is more regular. Portuguese grammar has more exceptions than Spanish, too.

We definitely have a much easier time understanding them than vice-versa, this was confirmed to me firsthand when I was in Argentina/Uruguay earlier this year. My relatives would understand the Spanish and answer in Portuguese as if they were talking to natives, usually not being understood. This is called "asymetric mutual intelligibility".

hecma925

Orthodox Taliban
Reaction score
Faith
Jurisdiction
When you're from the west side of La Raya, you are the furthest from God's mercy.

RaphaCam

Patriarch of Trashposting
Reaction score
Website
em-espirito-e-em-verdade.blogspot.com
Faith
Big-O Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Exarchate of Gotham City
Curiously, Extremadura, as the rest of the northern half of A Raia on both sides, used to speak Leonese rather than Spanish. Nowadays most of the population just boringly speaks Spanish, but there are still a couple of people speaking Leonese and a larger minority speaking various weird mixes between Leonese and Spanish. On the exact border between Extremadura, Salamanca and Portugal, these weirdos speak a mix between Leonese, Spanish and Portuguese, the "Fala".

Many years ago I used to chat on Facebook with a guy who natively spoke this bizarre dialect. For some reason I really can't remember he was Georgian Orthodox. Too bad he vanished.

Some villages in the Portuguese side of A Raia still speak an arcane form of Leonese somewhat influenced by Portuguese called Mirandese. Portuguese nationalists in general tend to be proud about it, since Leonese was the native tongue of king Afonso Henriques. It kinda sounds like Portuguese hicks trying to make up a language on spot. I love it.

WPM

Taxiarches
Reaction score
Faith
Ethiopian Jew
RaphaCam said:
rakovsky said:
Well, yeah.

For instance, Portuguese has 7 to 8 oral vowel phonemes depending on the dialect, plus 5 nasal vowel phonemes, all with varying distribution and a lot of allophony (contextual changes). Spanish consistently has 5 phonemic vowels only, and they don't have allophones. Portuguese has four semivowels, while Spanish has one. Portuguese kept all the original Iberian Romance consonants in the orthography, with some dialects even keeping all of them in pronunciation, while Spanish dropped some in orthography and most dialects one more distinction in pronunciation. Portuguese orthography is a bit conservative (although much less than French), while Spanish is more regular. Portuguese grammar has more exceptions than Spanish, too.

We definitely have a much easier time understanding them than vice-versa, this was confirmed to me firsthand when I was in Argentina/Uruguay earlier this year. My relatives would understand the Spanish and answer in Portuguese as if they were talking to natives, usually not being understood. This is called "asymetric mutual intelligibility".
I think I can understand you.

Sethrak

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
Faith
Armenian Orthodox
Jurisdiction
Etchmiadzin, Armenia

The Armenian swastika is one of the Armenian symbols of eternity and rebirth. The traditional swastika was the embodiment of light (in the broadest theological sense), hence its name Arevakhach (translated from Armenian – “solar cross”). Besides, during the sun worship period in Armenia, this sign was a symbol of the sun.

To me the word Arevakhach = Sun Cross

Happy, Holy Easter ```

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Selfie - hit for Pascha 2020. Christ is risen!

Source: https://www.facebook.com/podvitski/photos/a.1400528000216668/2634821460120643/?type=3&theater

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
Faith
Christian
Jurisdiction
Sethrak said:
The Armenian swastika is one of the Armenian symbols of eternity and rebirth. The traditional swastika was the embodiment of light (in the broadest theological sense), hence its name Arevakhach (translated from Armenian – “solar cross”). Besides, during the sun worship period in Armenia, this sign was a symbol of the sun.
Was the Garden of Eden in the "Land of Eden" (Genesis 2:10) located in one of the ancient Armenian lands of northern Turkey/Iran?
Is Armenian a Centum language like Greek or a Satum language like Russian?
Is Armenia and Turkey the dividing spot and ancient homeland of the Indo-Europeans?

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction

Russian artist Evgeny Filatov is the author of a unique Easter project. Posters depicting Jesus Christ and other Orthodox Saints wearing protection masks were plastered on walls. “Russian Easter during the coronavirus pandemic doesn’t have much in common with traditional boiled eggs or cakes anymore,” the artist wrote. Photo: efilatov.com

Dominika

Merarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Faith
Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction
Yitzhak Yosef (the Sephardi Chief Rabbi of Israel) - his headgear looks so Coptic...