Picture of the Day

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
View attachment 20065

I refuse to believe there could be anyone, let alone 1000+ people, running around the U.S. with that (birth/legal) name
There are so many people with weird or unusual names, that I would not be surprised if there was one or more.
Someone could be born on that saint's day and the parents pick it and then people call him Bart or something.

rakovsky

Toumarches
Reaction score
Website
rakovskii.livejournal.com
I don't get it.
You have to know Arab immigrant culture to get it.
There are alot of people who are immigrants to a country and get the country's first names. It could be a step in assimilation. It's really not just Arab Christians who do this. You can have Russian-Americans calling their child John instead of Ivan. It's especially true if you are talking about the third generation. It's so common with Italian or Polish Americans.

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
You have to know Arab immigrant culture to get it.
There are alot of people who are immigrants to a country and get the country's first names. It could be a step in assimilation. It's really not just Arab Christians who do this. You can have Russian-Americans calling their child John instead of Ivan. It's especially true if you are talking about the third generation. It's so common with Italian or Polish Americans.
No, not only.

E.g in Syria or Lebanon, espeically Catholics, but also Orthodox, have names like Pierre, Mishel, Johnny, Grace, Vanessa etc. etc. while the family name and names of the ancestors (that are actaully part of the full name) are often typically Arabic like e.g Abou sth, Habib, Haddad, Jamal etc. etc.

biro

Protostrator
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Website
archiveofourown.org
I found it, years after I lost it. A CD with lectures about the coming of Revelation. My favorite talks are by Fr. Pat Reardon, whom I usually don’t like, and by Sandra Meisel, who is Roman Catholic.

Update: can’t attach photo files.