Picture of the Day

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonis said:
I like it when bishops use the phelonion.
I agree, I think they should do it more often. 

One think I've often wondered is when/why the sakkos evolved from a short-sleeved vestment (as it is often depicted in icons) to a long, wide-sleeved vestment.
Can't have our truly true bishops looking like this now, can we? 

Real reason I went Orthodox instead of Catholic: Orthodox vestments are so much cooler.

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonis said:
I like it when bishops use the phelonion.
I agree, I think they should do it more often. 

One think I've often wondered is when/why the sakkos evolved from a short-sleeved vestment (as it is often depicted in icons) to a long, wide-sleeved vestment.
Can't have our truly true bishops looking like this now, can we? 

How bizarre, I have never seen bishops acting as deacons.  :p

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
TheTrisagion said:
Real reason I went Orthodox instead of Catholic: Orthodox vestments are so much cooler.
Eh, I don't know about that.  Maybe when comparing the average parish in both Churches, yes, but I think the vestments in the photo I posted are great. 

Antonis

Archon
Staff member
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonis said:
Cardinal deacons are now typically bishops, but it was not always so until fairly recently, let alone in the beginning. 
Ah! I wasn't even thinking about cardinal priests/deacons.

Mor Ephrem

Hypatos
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.orthodoxchristianity.net
Antonis said:
Mor Ephrem said:
Antonis said:
Cardinal deacons are now typically bishops, but it was not always so until fairly recently, let alone in the beginning. 
Ah! I wasn't even thinking about cardinal priests/deacons.
Yeah.  I like the concept, but when you know they also happen to be bishops, it is a little weird.  :p

TheTrisagion

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Mor Ephrem said:
TheTrisagion said:
Eh, I don't know about that.  Maybe when comparing the average parish in both Churches, yes, but I think the vestments in the photo I posted are great. 
You are forgiven for your lack of taste in vestments.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
CopticDeacon said:
His Grace Bishop David made a joke about my hair after he tonsured me. In fact he kinda apologized for cutting so much. I ended up thanking him and we laughed  :D
My sister is also in the background  :angel:
Mabrouk!  Now, your first official duty as an anagnostis: get that Western painting of Our Lord out of the altar and replace it with an Orthodox icon.  ;)

What church is this?  The woodwork looks like the maqar, but I know it can't be.

Arachne

Toumarches
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 11 Disney princesses attired in the fashion of the year their films came out:

Full size

ilyazhito

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Antonious Nikolas said:
CopticDeacon said:
His Grace Bishop David made a joke about my hair after he tonsured me. In fact he kinda apologized for cutting so much. I ended up thanking him and we laughed  :D
Mabrouk!  Now, your first official duty as an anagnostis: get that Western painting of Our Lord out of the altar and replace it with an Orthodox icon.  ;)

What church is this?  The woodwork looks like the maqar, but I know it can't be.
The protodeacon looks like a boss! Pity Copts and Chalcedonians can't serve together, because he looks like he could serve with the Patriarch of Moscow. He is professional, but I think he would be a good guy to be with as well.

CopticDeacon

High Elder
Reaction score
ilyazhito said:
Antonious Nikolas said:
CopticDeacon said:

The protodeacon looks like a boss! Pity Copts and Chalcedonians can't serve together, because he looks like he could serve with the Patriarch of Moscow. He is professional, but I think he would be a good guy to be with as well.
Antonious Nikolas, That's Upstate. If you're from New York/Jersey, you know who  ;) 8) To be quite honest, and I don't say this often, but I like that western painting. But I do believe it belongs outside the altar. We have a lot of (beautiful) semi western paintings of events of the bible and saints by our archpriest so it might be a difficult task!
For everyone else, this is Virgin Mary and Saint Pachomius Church

ilyazhito, that's Deacon Cyril, Bishop David's deacon. He's so down to earth and simple. Awesome person to talk to and be around. I've spoken to him a number of times. I spoke to him after liturgy that day and was in awe of how cool he is. Awesome role model in my opinion. He's all for the Lord - celibate.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
CopticDeacon said:
Antonious Nikolas, That's Upstate. If you're from New York/Jersey, you know who  ;) 8) To be quite honest, and I don't say this often, but I like that western painting. But I do believe it belongs outside the altar. We have a lot of (beautiful) semi western paintings of events of the bible and saints by our archpriest so it might be a difficult task!
Abouna Yacoub does those paintings?  Wow.  Thanks for the info.

CopticDeacon

High Elder
Reaction score
Antonious Nikolas said:
CopticDeacon said:
Abouna Yacoub does those paintings?  Wow.  Thanks for the info.
Yes sir.  His sister in egypt does all of our official icons. I've seen him do some but they always get sent somewhere else.
As for Thomas Sunday, the Theophany and some other large western paintings, those are his work.

AntoniousNikolas

Taxiarches
Reaction score
CopticDeacon said:
Yes sir.  His sister in egypt does all of our official icons. I've seen him do some but they always get sent somewhere else.
As for Thomas Sunday, the Theophany and some other large western paintings, those are his work.
Truly a priest of many talents!