Picture of the Day

FatherGiryus

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
My guess is that the bear cubs know the monk, and it is well-known in many places that monasteries and bears have a 'relationship.'  This is seen much more often in Eastern Europe and Russia, and we here in the West are not so familiar with it.  The surprising aspect of it is that the bears never attack the monks, perhaps in part because the monks never carry food and don't act aggressively the way we do.  After a long period of a monastery's existence, the bears in an area become imprinted to recognize the 'nice' monks from the 'not nice' villagers.

Animal imprinting is powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl1y9IOHof8&feature=related

FountainPen said:
Ioannis Climacus said:
This isn't cute. This is dangerous; those are bears! Even at that age they can do some serious damage.

I know Christians can put their hand in a snake pit and handle snakes but i don't think that dispensation stretches to bears.

mike

Protostrator
Reaction score
FountainPen said:
Ioannis Climacus said:
This isn't cute. This is dangerous; those are bears! Even at that age they can do some serious damage.

I know Christians can put their hand in a snake pit and handle snakes but i don't think that dispensation stretches to bears.
The Monk seems to  be scared to death.

vamrat

Merarches
Reaction score
Michał Kalina said:
FountainPen said:
Ioannis Climacus said:

The Monk seems to  be scared to death.
Nah.  That's the same face/hand gesture I make when the dog is trying to lick my face which is what it looks like the little bear is about to do.  That's probably the safest place that Monk could be.  Seeing as he has a face at the time the photo was taken, we can assume that mama-bear considers him to be a good influence on her children.  If anyone tried to mess with him, mama-bear ain't far away.  And the Old Testament tells us what bears do to people who cause problems for religious figures.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Can't say I didn't see it coming *facepalm*

Apples

Protokentarchos
Reaction score
biro said:
DavidI said:

HH Pope Shenouda III - I presume shortly after a service as he and the priest/bishop behind him are still vested.
Taken on the Feast of St. Cat.  ;) :angel:
Timothy Aelurus?

Ioannis Climacus

High Elder
Reaction score
DavidI said:

HH Pope Shenouda III - I presume shortly after a service as he and the priest/bishop behind him are still vested.
He looks like he is acting out the icon on his vestment (though St. Mark's cat is a bit bigger).