• A blessed Nativity / Theophany season to all! For users new and old: the forum rules were streamlined when we transitioned to the new software. Please ensure that you are familiar with them. Continued use of the forum means that you (a) know the rules, and (b) pledge that you'll abide by them. For more information, check out the OrthodoxChristianity.Net Rules section. (There are only 2 threads there - Rules, and Administrative Structure.)

Pictures of Western Icons?

Iconodule

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
As Sts Cyril and Methodius found in Moravia, translating the liturgy into local vernaculars was a point of controversy in the West. The prevailing attitude in Rome was that there were a few sacred languages- Hebrew, Greek, Latin (maybe Syriac too?) and that was it. Pope Nicholas seemed to have gone against the grain in supporting their Slavic liturgy, against the wishes of Latin clergy in the region, and his successor Stephen V overturned this support. 

Alpo

Merarches
Reaction score
One could post anything in St. Isaac's church in St. Petersburg in this thread.

MalpanaGiwargis

High Elder
Reaction score
Iconodule said:
As Sts Cyril and Methodius found in Moravia, translating the liturgy into local vernaculars was a point of controversy in the West. The prevailing attitude in Rome was that there were a few sacred languages- Hebrew, Greek, Latin (maybe Syriac too?) and that was it. Pope Nicholas seemed to have gone against the grain in supporting their Slavic liturgy, against the wishes of Latin clergy in the region, and his successor Stephen V overturned this support.
I think the idea was that only the three languages written on the titulus on Christ's Cross were considered sacred. Hebrew/Syriac-Aramaic were not always clearly distinguished in the West.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
So, I guess they just wrote off the Armenians, Georgians, and Ethiopians as heretics (and forgot that the Malankara existed)?

Dominika

Taxiarches
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Alpo said:
One could post anything in St. Isaac's church in St. Petersburg in this thread.
Plus of many other churches that were built in that period in Russia(including Polish territorries too, as we were under Russian occupation)

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Mosaic of Christ in Santa Prassede Rome:

Pope Paschal was alive in this mosaic as well! as referenced by the square halo.

LivenotoneviL

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Jackson02 said:
Christ represented as a Roman solider:

This gives more credence to the idea the beardless Christ was supposed to equivocate Christ to the Roman Enperor, as the beardlessness represents the divinity of the Emperor.

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
LivenotoneviL said:
Jackson02 said:

This gives more credence to the idea the beardless Christ was supposed to equivocate Christ to the Roman Enperor, as the beardlessness represents the divinity of the Emperor.
beardlessness represented divinity in general
Wasn't one of the issues with the Arians how they portrayed Christ beardless?

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
NicholasMyra said:
LivenotoneviL said:
Jackson02 said:

beardlessness represented divinity in general
The way I always heard it was that beardlessness meant He was alive and ever-young.

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
LivenotoneviL said:
Jackson02 said:
Christ as the Lamb of God above bishop Theodora!  :p
Bishop Theodora  :eek:
It’s a reference to a women’s ordination video. In it, they claim that the headscarf she’s wearing implies an episcopal rank. It’s a good laugh!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WTs3rhaZKw

Justin Kolodziej

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
Volnutt said:
Really interesting, thanks! I always wondered why so much non-liturgical Anglo-Saxon (and Old Irish) didn't lead to a translation of the liturgy from Latin. Did the bishops/Pope block it or did the people not want it?
Apparently much of the "Rituale ecclesiæ Dunelmensis", a pre-schism missal from Durham, is also translated into Anglo-Saxon, but it's impossible to know which language the prayers were read in. My guess is that even if the English of the time was being used liturgically, the Norman Invasion put an end to that sort of thing.

Volnutt

Hoplitarches
Reaction score
Justin Kolodziej said:
Volnutt said:
Really interesting, thanks! I always wondered why so much non-liturgical Anglo-Saxon (and Old Irish) didn't lead to a translation of the liturgy from Latin. Did the bishops/Pope block it or did the people not want it?
Apparently much of the "Rituale ecclesiæ Dunelmensis", a pre-schism missal from Durham, is also translated into Anglo-Saxon, but it's impossible to know which language the prayers were read in. My guess is that even if the English of the time was being used liturgically, the Norman Invasion put an end to that sort of thing.
Huh. Thanks.

Yeah, I'm sure the Norman Conquest had a huge influence.

Jackson02

OC.Net Guru
Reaction score
LivenotoneviL said:
Fresco of Saint Benedict and the Crow

Interesing one of the monks has a beard. As I recall one criticism from Rome during the Great Schism was the monks from the east having long hair and beards.

Asteriktos

Strategos
Reaction score
I'm rocking the same hair style atm, though not by choice...